Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Hi All,

Looking to get back into photography after a few years out. I did used to have a D7000 bought at release along with the packaged 18-135, a 10-20, 35mm and 70-300VR II. Unfortunately I reached a point a few years ago where I had to sell everything so have no gear at the moment.

I liked the feel of the Nikon and at the time it felt better in the hand than the Canon which is why I’ve asked about the Nikons but I am open to a switch

I put newbie because I never really advanced my skills, just more money than sense and just bought the gear to mess around with. I had fun riding round on my motorcycle and taking pics but a bit older, wiser and poorer like to advance a bit more but with the main aim still the enjoyment

The D7000 almost seems perfect as its cheap, I’ve used it before and I can put more money into lenses. I am concerned though about the oil on the sensor issue. This appears when shooting at 4-6fps, I had to have mine cleaned twice by Nikon (discussed in my old threads). I may in the future be shooting my nephews playing rugby. That’s what’s held me back buying one. Do the later models suffer from this issue? Is it easy to clean without too much risk damaging the sensor?

Current used prices for the body only are below (£1 ~ $1.30)

D7000 - £200

D7100 - £300

D7200 - £500

D7500 - £600

Is it worth investing the extra in a later model? Is the D7100 worth 50% more than the D7000? If I’m going to go 7200, is it worth the extra £100 for the 7500 for the extra FPS and ISO?

What I’ll be shooting

Given the lockdown most of my shooting over the next 3-6 months will be in and around London. City pics, architecture, night time shots (it’ll be dark by the time I finish work in a couple of weeks).

If I manage a few shots to upload to stock image sites that would be a bonus.

Family shots over Christmas.

Future – let’s see when we’re allowed to get out of the country!

Ill be shooting in RAW so I can play with the images in post.

I’ll probably pick up a 35mm 1.8 to start me off. (always open to recommendations!)

Budget – tough, I could go for the higher end of the above – but should I?

Thanks for reading

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,590
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

DTA wrote:

Hi All,

Looking to get back into photography after a few years out. I did used to have a D7000 bought at release along with the packaged 18-135, a 10-20, 35mm and 70-300VR II. Unfortunately I reached a point a few years ago where I had to sell everything so have no gear at the moment.

I liked the feel of the Nikon and at the time it felt better in the hand than the Canon which is why I’ve asked about the Nikons but I am open to a switch

I put newbie because I never really advanced my skills, just more money than sense and just bought the gear to mess around with. I had fun riding round on my motorcycle and taking pics but a bit older, wiser and poorer like to advance a bit more but with the main aim still the enjoyment.

It's worth spending the time to learn about the camera's capabilities. Think in terms of 12 months of study and experimentation.

The D7000 almost seems perfect as its cheap, I’ve used it before and I can put more money into lenses. I am concerned though about the oil on the sensor issue. This appears when shooting at 4-6fps, I had to have mine cleaned twice by Nikon (discussed in my old threads). I may in the future be shooting my nephews playing rugby. That’s what’s held me back buying one. Do the later models suffer from this issue? Is it easy to clean without too much risk damaging the sensor?

Not a problem with later models.

D7000 - £200

D7100 - £300

D7200 - £500

D7500 - £600

Is it worth investing the extra in a later model? Is the D7100 worth 50% more than the D7000? If I’m going to go 7200, is it worth the extra £100 for the 7500 for the extra FPS and ISO?

I've been perfectly happy with the D7100, but if buying now, I'd go for the D7500.

What I’ll be shooting

Given the lockdown most of my shooting over the next 3-6 months will be in and around London. City pics, architecture, night time shots (it’ll be dark by the time I finish work in a couple of weeks).

You can do plenty of playing with JPEG.

I’ll probably pick up a 35mm f/1.8 to start me off. (always open to recommendations!)

Nikon 16-80mm f/2.8-4

Yes.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,789

DTA wrote:

Cue the non-informed answer!

I haven't shot with any of these cameras (SFX: sad trombone) but it was the line above that inspired me to reply. If your aim is to grow your skill set, starting with a camera you know and feel comfortable and familiar with is your best bet. Pretty much all SLRs take decent pictures and if your goal is to learn, heck, you could do that with my ancient Pentax K100D.

I say go with the most cost-effective option (more money for lenses!), learn what it can teach you, and after a while you'll get a feel for whether or not you need to upgrade.

FWIW I haven't felt the need to upgrade my digicam in the last 5 years. I can still get great images with it. I also shoot film, and my 45-year-old Pentax KX remains my favorite.

HTH

Aaron

PS -- posting this makes me think I ought to dust off the K100D and see what kind of images I can get with it.

-- hide signature --
Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,776

I agree with WryCuda.

Further, I'd add that a good used D7500 with lens sells on Ebay for between $600 and $900 USD.  So, it's almost like being able to 'rent' one for $300 for a year or two.

A no-brainer if you ask me.

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,157

Is the D7100 worth 50% more than the D7000?

I would say yes.

I would suggest starting at the D7100 and then picking whichever one you felt comfortable paying for.  There are slight differences in the bodies but not huge differences.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,679

Autonerd wrote:

DTA wrote:

I haven't shot with any of these cameras (SFX: sad trombone) but it was the line above that inspired me to reply. If your aim is to grow your skill set, starting with a camera you know and feel comfortable and familiar with is your best bet.

Based on the D7100 review and the D7200 review, I'd say that it might be worth looking at one of them.  From a user perspective, they're improved versions of the D7000.

Both feature upgraded auto-focus systems with more cross-focus type focus points than the D7000 has – and with the ability to focus in lower light.  Between the D7000 / D7100, and the D7200, the latter is better for anyone intending on doing burst shooting of Raws.

There's also the D7500 .  All of these cameras are great for still photo shooters (although video shooters might be best served with other DSLRs, or with mirrorless cameras).

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,177

Not an easy question, and you're likely to get plenty of different opinions. Having owned a D7100 and a D7500, and having spent extensive time comparing Nikon's various bodies, here is mine:

- Yes, the D7100 is worth spending 100£ more. The higher resolution and better low-light performance will give you better pics with the kind of subjects you are shooting.

- The D7200 and D7500 each perform slightly better than the D7100. Personally, I believe neither would give you enough of an advantage to be worth spending more. Higher fps seems a don't care with your main subjects - hat matters more when shooting rapidly moving wildlife- and none of the other improvements these bodies offer would make much of a difference to you as far as I can see.

- The price gap between the D7200 vs the D7100 is WAY too big.  These bodies differ only in fairly insignificant ways. The D7500 and D7200 perform about the same in low light, which in both cases means 'marginally better than the D7100', but the main advantages of the D7500 lie in AF speed and fps, neither of which look all that important to your style shoot.

- It seems to me the bigger question is not so much which body to get but which lenses to put on it. With your subjects, a better body makes less of a difference than a better lens will.
The 35mm prime is a good lens but somewhat limiting what you can shoot with it. My recommendation is to start with a Sigma 17-50, which you can even get new at reasonable prices. It is wide enough for architecture, has an f/2.8 aperture that makes it fast enough for low-light street shooting, and while being fairly plasticky, its optical performance is better than that of anything Nikon offers in that focal range.

- The next lens I would add is Nikon's AF-P 70-300 DX VR. It is an excellent lens, especially considering its price, way better than the older AF-S 70-300 versions.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +26 more
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 3,387

If those are the prices in your country, I think you are better with D7100. Better AF and better IQ. I don't think D7200 or D7500 are worth the price difference.

In my country I can get D7000 for around 100GBP and D7100 for 200GBP. While D610 can be had for 300GBP. In that case, I would much prefer to get D610. If you can buy a cheap D610, go for it. It will help you in many ways. Or even a D700, is still better than any D7x00.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D750 Nikon D610 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
baloo_buc Forum Pro • Posts: 10,477

The prices should be compared with the shutter counts for each camera. A 200.000 photos D7500 might worth less than 10.000 photos D7000.

D7100 has a very small buffer that makes burst photography very difficult. If you don't need that then D7100 is the best value. As D7100 is older than D7200 verify the shutter count of D7100. My D7200 has less than 20.000 for usual use It has almost 5 years).

-- hide signature --

Victor
Bucuresti, Romania

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +18 more
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,602

DTA wrote:

Hi All,

Of the two I prefer Nikon over Canon but my favourite is Pentax - similar controls to Nikon, slightly smaller and lighter for comparable models and typically a bit cheaper.

K-3 (the latest APS-C body I own) is about £350 on eBay  although the cheapest there is only £180. Of the Nikon bodies it is probably closest to the D7200.

I put newbie because I never really advanced my skills, just more money than sense and just bought the gear to mess around with. I had fun riding round on my motorcycle and taking pics but a bit older, wiser and poorer like to advance a bit more but with the main aim still the enjoyment

D7000 - £200

D7100 - £300

D7200 - £500

D7500 - £600

What I’ll be shooting

I’ll probably pick up a 35mm 1.8 to start me off. (always open to recommendations!)

That is (for me, at least) a very useful focal length on APS-C but I only use it for about 40% of my shooting. I'd get another lens too, but what you go for depends a lot on how you like to do things. For me the second lens would be ultrawide (that's another 40% of what I do). You could look through your old photos to see if you have a preferred focal length range there.

I wouldn't necessarily go right to the top, but if you expect to develop your interest it's worth buying a bit above your current ideas to all for that.

Thanks for reading

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63

Thank you for all of the views, appreciate you taking the time.

im going to keep an eye out and see what i can pick up. it looks like a 7100 or 7500 based on what price i can pick one up for.

Also try to look for D700, D600, D610, the prices have fallen and you might have a nice surprise.

Sony RX100 VA Nikon D750 Nikon D610 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
eddie47
eddie47 New Member • Posts: 1

Hi,

please advise if D7100 is good for sports photographs.

Thank you

WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,590

eddie47 wrote:

The D7100 has good autofocus capability, and with the right lens, it is definitely OK for sports photography. There's a few AF parameters that need to be tweaked for best performance, and lens quality is also a factor.

Chief limitation for continuous shooting is the small buffer, which allows for about 12 JPEG or 6 RAW images. I've never found this to be a major handicap for sports/wildlife photography.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7

eddie47 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you

Any camera can be used to shoot anything. Any camera will have more or less limitations.

D7100's limitations: small buffer, not the latest AF system, small sensor so you need more light.

Can you shoot sports? Yes. Can you get some great results with it? Yes. Can you shoot it in the same conditions as D5 and get as many keepers? No.

Thanks all again, had another read through and will have a bit more time to repond to posts tomorrow (work is mental)

just a thought though, e-ifinity have the D7500 new for £589. no import takes. only issue is obviously a grey import and an e-infin warranty as opposed to the Nikon warranty.

Seems that genberally a good service reading around. thats almost the same price as used.

Any thoughts?

WryCuda wrote:

It's worth spending the time to learn about the camera's capabilities. Think in terms of 12 months of study and experimentation.

I will be taking some time, as I say, a bit more seriously this time!

Not a problem with later models.

Thanks

I've been perfectly happy with the D7100, but if buying now, I'd go for the D7500.

i may be doing that, given the price i can get the grey import for

Nikon 16-80mm f/2.8-4

ill take a look.

Yes.

Thanks

PS -- posting this makes me think I ought to dust off the K100D and see what kind of images I can get with it.

Thanks for the reply.

Why not bust it out!

Bob wrote:

I agree with WryCuda.

Further, I'd add that a good used D7500 with lens sells on Ebay for between $600 and $900 USD. So, it's almost like being able to 'rent' one for $300 for a year or two.

A no-brainer if you ask me.

Thanks Bob,

By the looks of it I can pick a new grey import for £589, which is actually cheaper than used on ebay, so if I find its not for me I can get the majority of my money back

Tom_N wrote:

Autonerd wrote:

DTA wrote:

I haven't shot with any of these cameras (SFX: sad trombone) but it was the line above that inspired me to reply. If your aim is to grow your skill set, starting with a camera you know and feel comfortable and familiar with is your best bet.

Based on the D7100 review and the D7200 review, I'd say that it might be worth looking at one of them. From a user perspective, they're improved versions of the D7000.

Both feature upgraded auto-focus systems with more cross-focus type focus points than the D7000 has – and with the ability to focus in lower light. Between the D7000 / D7100, and the D7200, the latter is better for anyone intending on doing burst shooting of Raws.

There's also the D7500 . All of these cameras are great for still photo shooters (although video shooters might be best served with other DSLRs, or with mirrorless cameras).

Thanks Tom,

Video is not so important for me. I have done a bit more reading and it seems the buffer on the d7200 may be quite a bit larger than the 7100

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads