E-M1 Mk III - CAF + Tracking ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Lotus Cat Forum Pro • Posts: 10,525
E-M1 Mk III - CAF + Tracking ?

Hi All,

Is the CAF + Tracking on the E-M1.3 much better than the E-M1.2? Along with other changes in the E-M1.3, that is a deciding feature for my possible upgrade. Latest E-M1.2 firmware upgrades improved the camera a lot, but what does the E-M1.3 offer that I do not have?

Or the E-M1X?

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Life is good in the woods

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
whumber
whumber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,561
Re: E-M1 Mk III - CAF + Tracking ?

James Pilcher wrote:

Hi All,

Is the CAF + Tracking on the E-M1.3 much better than the E-M1.2? Along with other changes in the E-M1.3, that is a deciding feature for my possible upgrade. Latest E-M1.2 firmware upgrades improved the camera a lot, but what does the E-M1.3 offer that I do not have?

Or the E-M1X?

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Life is good in the woods

As far as I could tell the C-AF + Tr is identical between the E-M1ii and E-M1iii. The only improvement that we've seen in this area from Olympus are the AI Tracking modes in the E-M1X.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 10,191

Using the Olympus 12-100mm F4 lens I don’t see any appreciable difference between the Mark II and the Mark III

Same with adapted Olympus 4/3 lenses.

I don’t find CAF+Tr mode to be very reliable with either camera. CAF works better for me.

Peter

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,367

I have tried the tracking on both the E-M1 II and III and found no appreciable advantage with the Mark III

I actually don’t use the tracking because I have found that using C-AF with all 121 focus points hot is super reliable, more so than using a smaller grid pattern with tracking.

This image is one from a multi shot burst, C-AF with all focal points, and the Mark III picked it pretty clean from the background, I think. This is what I have come to expect.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Toni Genes
Toni Genes Regular Member • Posts: 197

According to the reviews I saw:

-C-AF keeper rate increased with 10-15% for E-M1 MK III compared to MK II;

-the tracking is the same for all : E-M1 MK II, E-M1X, E-M1 MK III.

Although he tracking works in some cases, is not very reliable.

I recomand you to use always C-AF .

Toni Genes's gear list:Toni Genes's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,598

That is one area Olympus really should work on. I am quite (very?) disappointed with the tracking and subject detection of the em5.3 It is one thing to be able to move the lens focusing accurately when the subject moves (thanks to phase detection), but it is another to be able to follow and detect the subject in the frame.

For example, compared to the G9, yes, focusing feels more sure footed thanks to the absence of flutter in the evf, but the G9 follows the subject much better when it moves within the frame, certainly when it is a person or an animal, resulting in a higher hit rate most of the time.

And let's not even mention Sony's latest cameras, which are miles ahead in that regard.

Olympus focusing system reminds me that of a 2010 SLR. Quick and accurate, but not very "smart".

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
Kornflejk Regular Member • Posts: 167

photofan1986 wrote:

That is one area Olympus really should work on. I am quite (very?) disappointed with the tracking and subject detection of the em5.3 It is one thing to be able to move the lens focusing accurately when the subject moves (thanks to phase detection), but it is another to be able to follow and detect the subject in the frame.

Olympus focusing system reminds me that of a 2010 SLR. Quick and accurate, but not very "smart".

Maybe we will get AF-C+TR algorithm update until this Winter for the 1X at least? Since the E-M1X intro there has not been any sustantial AF-C update, right? Olympus by JIP has chance to fix it. They signed the deal with Oly.

Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,924

gary0319 wrote:

I have tried the tracking on both the E-M1 II and III and found no appreciable advantage with the Mark III

I actually don’t use the tracking because I have found that using C-AF with all 121 focus points hot is super reliable, more so than using a smaller grid pattern with tracking.

This image is one from a multi shot burst, C-AF with all focal points, and the Mark III picked it pretty clean from the background, I think. This is what I have come to expect.

Nice shot! Do you have situations however where using the whole matrix ends up in the camera missing entirely the first shot? I have had a lot of that with birds in the sky and I use a smaller grid in the centre

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +13 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,367

Interceptor121 wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

Nice shot! Do you have situations however where using the whole matrix ends up in the camera missing entirely the first shot? I have had a lot of that with birds in the sky and I use a smaller grid in the centre

No...

Actually, I too had been using the 3x3 grid or the 5x5 grid and now find that by using the entire 121 point focusing points and letting the camera do the job, I have almost an instant lock on the bird. Maybe that says something about me lacking the ability to sometimes get a smaller grid over the bird for the first shot.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,924

gary0319 wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

No...

Actually, I too had been using the 3x3 grid or the 5x5 grid and now find that by using the entire 121 point focusing points and letting the camera do the job, I have almost an instant lock on the bird. Maybe that says something about me lacking the ability to sometimes get a smaller grid over the bird for the first shot.

What matters is that you are getting the shot!

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +13 more
skamaraju
skamaraju Contributing Member • Posts: 821

I think CAF Tracking is useful when subject moves straight towards camera.

-- hide signature --

'Om'

skamaraju's gear list:skamaraju's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
JulesGo
JulesGo Regular Member • Posts: 499

Big difference between Mk II and Mk II for me.  I cannot comment on tracking however since I never use it.

I can  now use the 2.0X TC with the 300mm.  With the E-M1 Mk II, it was useless.  Focus was extremely soft in S-AF, a little better in C-AF but still soft and and unreliable.  With the Mk III, it works well in both S-AF and C-AF and it is quite usable.  I can even use the TC for BIF.

Also, I find that my photos are sharper with the E-M1 Mk III.

Big difference for me, worth every penny.

-- hide signature --

Jules Gobeil
Nature photographer - Photographe de la nature
https://www.flickr.com/photos/julesgobeil/

JulesGo's gear list:JulesGo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
peter_jp Contributing Member • Posts: 871

JulesGo wrote:

Big difference between Mk II and Mk II for me. I cannot comment on tracking however since I never use it.

I can now use the 2.0X TC with the 300mm. With the E-M1 Mk II, it was useless. Focus was extremely soft in S-AF, a little better in C-AF but still soft and and unreliable. With the Mk III, it works well in both S-AF and C-AF and it is quite usable. I can even use the TC for BIF.

Also, I find that my photos are sharper with the E-M1 Mk III.

Big difference for me, worth every penny.

That is an interesting observation. I don't use tracking either om my MKII, but I've been wondering about C-AF improvement on the MKIII especially with regards to consistency and use with the converters for BIF. Thanks for sharing your experience with those.

Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,478

two specific cases where I would say its better, one supported by very similar experiences by a friend who shoots the same subject / locations as me (I still have both bodies so its a pretty good comparison)

Shooting windsurf action off our local beaches using sequential low with CAF+Tr produces many images and one way of "junking" the numbers down was to reject all out of focus shots.

We have both complained that this option is now gone with the Mk3, we just don't seem to get a useful number of OOF images any more, so now have to examine each sequence more closely looking at content and match to objective (coaching, publicity shots, mates wiping out etc) which takes a lot more time

The other, specific to me, is shooting sequences of bees and butterflies in flight, using pro capture low this time. It seems to more consistently track the subject, butterflies in particular, as the fly between and in front of flowers and foliage

As I say, specific examples and I can't comment more generally but for these subjects its always the EM-1 mk3 I reach for. (the 2 is now used for flowers, portraits and the like, so good division of labour )

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads