Solid Performer!

Started 2 months ago | User reviews
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,419
Solid Performer!

I wanted a lens to use for both video on my Z6 as well as people photography - I do headshots, 1/2 body and full body shots for actors, models and executives. The Nikon 24-120 VR F4 I had was actually a pretty good kit lens but a little weak at 120mm. I prefer to shoot headshots in the 135-200mm range. Curious, I thought I'd try out the Tamron 35-150. (I previously owned the Tamron 17-35 F 2.8-4 and liked the build quality and sharpness.)

I've been using the 35-150 for a couple of months and so far have been happy with the results. The faster aperture is helpful for video shoots and background blur, while the 150mm is good for tight headshots. Full body shots can easily be had @ 35mm without changing lenses.

There is some pincushion distortion at 35mm and some vignetting across the frame at 150mm. But the image is sharp wide open at all apertures, even into the corners. Focus with the FTZ is acceptably fast and accurate, though it's definitely not the fastest focusing lens I own. The image stabilization is good but not great. I'm guessing 2.5-3 stops @ 150mm. I wouldn't consider this an all-in-one or travel lens since 35mm isn't very wide. But for my purposes, it fits the bill. Definitely recommend trying the Tamron 35-150, especially if you catch it on sale.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 Di VC OSD
Telephoto zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX) • A043
Announced: Feb 20, 2019
24Peter's score
Average community score
Nikon Z6 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cerumen
Cerumen Senior Member • Posts: 1,978
Re: Solid Performer!

Agree about its performance. Been using it regularly for nearly a year, and am very pleased. Great for general purpose, and I'm fine with the changing aperture. No issues wide-open, and paired with the 17-35, it's the lightest travel kit I've ever had. Below are all 35-150, wide open.

-- hide signature --
bluzman
bluzman Contributing Member • Posts: 815

I love the Tamron 35-150mm f/2.8-4. I replaced the Nikon 24-120 f/4 kit lens on my D750 with it. Like others, I have paired it with the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4. The D750 with these lenses is a great combo.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 +16 more
Peter in Canberra Contributing Member • Posts: 895

Cerumen wrote:

Agree about its performance. Been using it regularly for nearly a year, and am very pleased. Great for general purpose, and I'm fine with the changing aperture. No issues wide-open, and paired with the 17-35, it's the lightest travel kit I've ever had. Below are all 35-150, wide open.

neat.

the last one looks like it's from the original Thunderbirds ...

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,311

Cerumen wrote:

Great shots, Eric!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads