Too much dust inside the inner lens of an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 3,442
Re: Too much dust inside the inner lens of an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro ?

meow wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

petergerritsen wrote:

When zooming to 40mm the tube has a little play/wobble/rattle. maybe thats the reason dust can come in?

Sheers Peter

I agree, the 12-40 has a lot of barrel wobbling/play issue. It's potentially a way of entry for large dust particles to get under the hydrophobic mesh and inside the lens.

Is mine the only copy that doesn't wobble? Strange.

Hmm. I just checked my 12-40. The wobble is 0.8mm fully extended.

My little 12-32 has fully extended 0.7mm wobble. But it is a silent wobble.

The 12-40 has a noisy wobble, that is why it appears much more than it really is.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
Funny Valentine
Funny Valentine Contributing Member • Posts: 866

meow wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

petergerritsen wrote:

When zooming to 40mm the tube has a little play/wobble/rattle. maybe thats the reason dust can come in?

Sheers Peter

I agree, the 12-40 has a lot of barrel wobbling/play issue. It's potentially a way of entry for large dust particles to get under the hydrophobic mesh and inside the lens.

Is mine the only copy that doesn't wobble? Strange.

Most people have that noisy wobble/rattling with this lens. Mine did it from day one and I bought it brand new. Very disappointed with this lens that claims to be "PRO". I don't know how olympus tolerates such wobbling and rattling to come out of their factory. My cheaper olympus 75-300 II doesn't wobble or rattle at all and it feels a lot more high quality than the 12-40 despite being non pro and cheaper.

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
petergerritsen
petergerritsen Regular Member • Posts: 363

its not the zoomring but the tube fully extended  at 40mm

meow wrote:

petergerritsen wrote:

Mine has some rattle/ play at 40mm. Strange because my other zoom lenses, even the non sealed lenses, have no play. So why has the Olympus pro lens so much play at 40mm. A lot of people are complaining about that.

Mine has absolutely no play in the zoom ring.

-- hide signature --
 petergerritsen's gear list:petergerritsen's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Samuel Dilworth
Samuel Dilworth Contributing Member • Posts: 716

cba_melbourne wrote:

With my lens and a similar dial test indicator set-up, I record 0.4 mm of play from one end of the travel to the other (or about half that from a neutral centred position). By play I mean play: loose wobble between the knocks; not flexure after the end of the travel.

My lens has not seen much use yet, being only a few months old.

I’ve never seen an extending-barrel zoom lens that didn’t wobble. There needs to be clearance to allow free movement. It cannot be a press fit.

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,302

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

cba_melbourne wrote:

With my lens and a similar dial test indicator set-up, I record 0.4 mm of play from one end of the travel to the other (or about half that from a neutral centred position). By play I mean play: loose wobble between the knocks; not flexure after the end of the travel.

I’ve never seen an extending-barrel zoom lens that didn’t wobble. There needs to be clearance to allow free movement. It cannot be a press fit.

I never noticed but my 12-40 has quite a wobble extended.  It’s far more than my Tamron 28-75mm FE and more than I remember for the 12-60SWD.

A bit of a wobble is inevitable but maybe this explains the performance losses 40mm.  My 12-60 was best at 60mm, so a shame it died for the second time.  The 14-54mm mk I also has a bit of a wobble.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
petergerritsen
petergerritsen Regular Member • Posts: 363
Construction question

i think of replacing the 12-40 pro for the panaleica 12-60. Do you think the mechanical construction of the 12-60 is weaker than the olympus?

ahaslett wrote:

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

cba_melbourne wrote:

I never noticed but my 12-40 has quite a wobble extended. It’s far more than my Tamron 28-75mm FE and more than I remember for the 12-60SWD.

A bit of a wobble is inevitable but maybe this explains the performance losses 40mm. My 12-60 was best at 60mm, so a shame it died for the second time. The 14-54mm mk I also has a bit of a wobble.

Andrew

-- hide signature --
 petergerritsen's gear list:petergerritsen's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
TheEye
TheEye Veteran Member • Posts: 4,848
The lens is not hermetically sealed

A gasket at the lens mount and seals around telescoping lens barrels prevents external dust and moisture from ingressing as long as the lens is attached to a sealed body. The same goes for the body. While it may be weather-sealed, the body cannot be hermetically sealed. Every time you zoom out the lens will breathe air in, and so will the camera. Haze will also form on lens elements and sensors. That's also how a lens can become infected by mold. An internal zoom mechanism moves less air around compared to the more common external zoom mechanism.

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,302
Re: Construction question

petergerritsen wrote:

i think of replacing the 12-40 pro for the panaleica 12-60. Do you think the mechanical construction of the 12-60 is weaker than the olympus?

ahaslett wrote:

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

cba_melbourne wrote:

I never noticed but my 12-40 has quite a wobble extended. It’s far more than my Tamron 28-75mm FE and more than I remember for the 12-60SWD.

A bit of a wobble is inevitable but maybe this explains the performance losses 40mm. My 12-60 was best at 60mm, so a shame it died for the second time. The 14-54mm mk I also has a bit of a wobble.

Andrew

Sorry, the SWD is a Zuiko Four Thirds lens.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads