Weird Color artifacts in the sky when I use an ND filter

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jimipalmr
jimipalmr Forum Member • Posts: 97
Weird Color artifacts in the sky when I use an ND filter

This is from my video files. Can you see the magenta color to the left of the image as it goes from blue to that magenta? I'm using a cheaper ND filter so I assume it's because of that but what could cause this!? Looks horrible.

jimipalmr's gear list:jimipalmr's gear list
Samsung NX500 Fujifilm X-T2 LG V10
SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 12,873
Re: Weird Color artifacts in the sky when I use an ND filter

Cheap filters have always been like throwing your money away, and they still are.

I use NiSi filters and they brilliant. No colour cast, just perfectly even, pure results.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +35 more
jimipalmr
OP jimipalmr Forum Member • Posts: 97

I'll definitely look into those.

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 2,764

jimipalmr wrote:

This is from my video files. Can you see the magenta color to the left of the image as it goes from blue to that magenta? I'm using a cheaper ND filter so I assume it's because of that but what could cause this!? Looks horrible.

This image is significantly underexposed in the problem area and looks like a compression artifact to me, not a filter issue.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,345

I agree, I also suffered from such issues in too compressed JPEGs when I intended to produce very small size files

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
jimipalmr

this is a far corner of a much larger image. The highlights are well controlled so the darks are a little dark. Here is the full frame:

Contrasty shot so yes this left corner is underexposed.

Does compression artifacts give off that color tint?

Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 12,960
Breakthrough

jimipalmr wrote:

I'll definitely look into those.

Whilst you're at it, check into Breakthrough filters, which are a step-up again from Nisi, and are shown to be the most color neutral (Which is the problem you describe).

Head to head comparison here

I have ditched all my other filters and only use Breakthrough - very happy with the results.

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +43 more
jimipalmr
Re: Breakthrough

I'll check em out!

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 2,764

jimipalmr wrote:

this is a far corner of a much larger image. The highlights are well controlled so the darks are a little dark. Here is the full frame:

Contrasty shot so yes this left corner is underexposed.

Does compression artifacts give off that color tint?

Sure, and if you look closely at the area, the anomaly’s edges are well defined, not just discolored like you might see with an optical problem. Darker underexposed areas that you are less likely to scrutinize will receive far more compression than brighter ones. A brighter exposure overall might have avoided the problem - not sure though, video really isn’t my forte. Is this discoloration obvious in the video, or only in the still?

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Doug MacMillan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196
Standard ND or variable ND?

My research indicated cheaper variable ND filters are especially problematic.

I bought this K&F variable ND filter that is well rated. I don't see any color shift or the dreaded "X" shape with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQG6TYR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads