On Sale lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,337
On Sale lenses

Well, I guess I didn’t learn. I wanted to purchase the Canon RF 28-70 lens which was priced at $2,899 ($100 off) for awhile but completely backordered from B&H, Adorama and my local Samy’s Camera. I guess it is better to order something when on backorder rather than wait.

I just looked today on all 3 of the above sites and the price is back up to $2,999 and still on backorder. I’ll go ahead and wait now.

Actually I had called Samy’s Camera the other day to put my name down for one, they did not want any money to hold it and said it would be in this week but put me on the list. I guess I will call tomorrow to speak to the person I spoke with to see if they will honor the lower price. I have my doubts they are able to do that though.

Sorry to pontificate on this.

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,833
Re: On Sale lenses

Unless you are in a hurry for it, wouldn't it make sense to wait 2 months to see what Black Friday brings ?

IMO $100 off a $3000 lens is not a huge saving - 3.3% discount which is about as low as you are likely to get from a "sale". I would guess that most sales or Canon cashback offers would beat this easily (my experience is Australian based, not US). It is not uncommon for shops here to have 10%, 13% (on some Friday 13th), or 15% off sales, or for Canon to have up to AU$500 cashback on high value items like this.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,337

Andy01 wrote:

Unless you are in a hurry for it, wouldn't it make sense to wait 2 months to see what Black Friday brings ?

IMO $100 off a $3000 lens is not a huge saving - 3.3% discount which is about as low as you are likely to get from a "sale". I would guess that most sales or Canon cashback offers would beat this easily (my experience is Australian based, not US). It is not uncommon for shops here to have 10%, 13% (on some Friday 13th), or 15% off sales, or for Canon to have up to AU$500 cashback on high value items like this.

Colin

Maybe I will wait. I’m not sure if we will see a $300-$350 USD off sale on this lens.

Croomrider Regular Member • Posts: 478

Try Greentoe or canon price watch. You might do better than $100 off.

Croomrider wrote:

Thank you. I cannot even guess how much the price might drop in the next couple of months during the holidays.

1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,906

cpharm86 wrote:

Croomrider wrote:

Thank you. I cannot even guess how much the price might drop in the next couple of months during the holidays.

i have to say i don't envy your predicament -- i stopped all of my emotions and immediate desires for R5 and new RF lenses at this time until possibly next May-June. i am not gonna even think about it. i am sure availability of lenses and R5's issues will be mitigated by canon around that time.  it is all a matter of supply/demand, once supply eases up, i am sure canon will tinker with prices. good luck.

-- hide signature --

if you look at God real close and for very long, you'll find defects!!!

1Dx4me wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

Croomrider wrote:

i have to say i don't envy your predicament -- i stopped all of my emotions and immediate desires for R5 and new RF lenses at this time until possibly next May-June. i am not gonna even think about it. i am sure availability of lenses and R5's issues will be mitigated by canon around that time. it is all a matter of supply/demand, once supply eases up, i am sure canon will tinker with prices. good luck.

Well, maybe I’m older than you. Although with life every day is valuable especially during these times. Actually to save a few hundred dollars is negligible compared to what I have spent already on photography equipment.

I just posted what I did because they had a measly $100 off for a backordered item that still is not available then discontinued the discount.

I still have my Hasselblad 503Cx and you know how much depreciation that is now.

I have never jumped on a new product this quickly. I bought the R5 on day one since I was on the list for several months before it was released. Usually like you I wait at least a year before I make the move. It took me several years to move from film to digital and finally bought the Canon 10D about 15 months after it was release, my first digital camera.

I’m getting older and life moves on. I worked for 50 years before I retired to earn what I want now. 

JayPhoto1 Regular Member • Posts: 175

Croomrider wrote:

Yep, paid $2600 for my 100-500 the first day it was released on Greentoe.  It might not look like a lot of savings but when you consider it was tax free and free shipping, I saved several hundred dollars and got it within three days.

JayPhoto1's gear list:JayPhoto1's gear list
Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 Sony a7S III Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +7 more

JayPhoto1 wrote:

Croomrider wrote:

Yep, paid $2600 for my 100-500 the first day it was released on Greentoe. It might not look like a lot of savings but when you consider it was tax free and free shipping, I saved several hundred dollars and got it within three days.

So Greentoe has no tax and discounted the lens $99?

cpharm86 wrote:

JayPhoto1 wrote:

Croomrider wrote:

Yep, paid $2600 for my 100-500 the first day it was released on Greentoe. It might not look like a lot of savings but when you consider it was tax free and free shipping, I saved several hundred dollars and got it within three days.

That was the case when I purchased a few weeks ago. I also got free express shipping.

Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 Sony a7S III Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +7 more

JayPhoto1 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

JayPhoto1 wrote:

Croomrider wrote:

That was the case when I purchased a few weeks ago. I also got free express shipping.

Good price, not black market?

cpharm86 wrote:

JayPhoto1 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

JayPhoto1 wrote:

Croomrider wrote:

Greentoe only deals with authorized sellers. I’ve purchased from them many times and the products came from Sony and canon authorized dealers. Brand new in unopened boxes.  By the way, you are not buying from greentoe. They are a service like eBay.   I suspect they charge the seller a fee for connecting them to a buyer

JayPhoto1 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

JayPhoto1 wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

JayPhoto1 wrote:

Croomrider wrote:

Greentoe only deals with authorized sellers. I’ve purchased from them many times and the products came from Sony and canon authorized dealers. Brand new in unopened boxes. By the way, you are not buying from greentoe. They are a service like eBay. I suspect they charge the seller a fee for connecting them to a buyer

Ah, I never bought from Greentoe. Makes sense

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads