Panasonic teleconverter suggestions G9 100-300

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
alanvee Regular Member • Posts: 388
Panasonic teleconverter suggestions G9 100-300

Trying my hand at bird photography- can’t afford the 100-400 so refining what I can do with the 300. So have been thinking about trying a teleconverter for a bit more reach. Would like to hear what you’ve been using (G9) and what success...or not!

-- hide signature --

Who was Ansel Adams' Ansel Adams?

Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 687
Re: Panasonic teleconverter suggestions G9 100-300

alanvee wrote:

Trying my hand at bird photography- can’t afford the 100-400 so refining what I can do with the 300. So have been thinking about trying a teleconverter for a bit more reach. Would like to hear what you’ve been using (G9) and what success...or not!

If by "teleconverter" you are referring to the TC14 or TC20, they will not work with the 100-300. You can use the 1.4x or 2.0x exTele which is simply a crop, but they reduce the megapixals. You can also use 2x or 4x digital zoom. I do not know how the results would be on the 100-300. I have tried the 1.4x exTele and the digital zooms with my G9 and my PL50-200. The results were mixed. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the IQ was when I used the 1.4 exTele setting and even more surprised at how good the IQ was with the 2x digital zoom. However, the 4x digital zoom was quite awful. Hope this helps.

Regards, Dave

C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,843

You’re not going to like my answer but I own a 100-400 and I too struggle to get good shots. To get good shots of birds, you’ll need to be close to your subject and have good reach with your telephoto lens at the same time.

The Panasonic and Olympus 100-400 are basically 100-300 lenses but with an extra 100mm added onto the lens if you need to crop in a bit further. 
 To get good shots, the birds either need to be relax around you or doesn’t know you are there.

OP alanvee Regular Member • Posts: 388

Thanks for the replies. Think I may have jumped the gun with my question. 🤦‍♀️
After searching a bit I quickly learned the are only for specific lenses... and may not be a lot better than a conservative crop. Guess I’ll just have to learn how to sneak up on the birdie...😂

-- hide signature --

Who was Ansel Adams' Ansel Adams?

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,985

You can always try the digital teleconverter. It will at least give you the cropped view and an idea of how handling a longer lens feels and looks.

Teleconverters on slow lenses are always a basket of tradeoffs, so getting closer when possible is often well worth the effort.

Good luck!

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads