Question about RP's EVF brightness

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
KLO82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,435
Question about RP's EVF brightness

To RP users: do you find the EVF perfectly useable in sunlight?

KLO82's gear list:KLO82's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,829
Re: Question about RP's EVF brightness

KLO82 wrote:

To RP users: do you find the EVF perfectly useable in sunlight?

It can be a little difficult in late afternoon/evening when sun is at low angles and washes in the side of the finder.   I can typically frame my subject, but it can be washed out enough that I can't always tell if I have perfect focus.  Typically in these cases, I can use the rear LCD with a hand or body shade.  It's no better or worse than the Panasonic or Fuji cameras I had previously.   I also have to lift up my sunglasses to have a chance.

EVF have their benefits, but OVF is better in direct sun.

jase
jase Contributing Member • Posts: 644

Yes.

-- hide signature --

jase

jase's gear list:jase's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +6 more
Malachi42 Forum Member • Posts: 59

I've not had any issues at all with the EVF.  It has 5 brightness levels and I don't think I've ever had it above the middle setting.

When ever I pick up a DSLR, the very first thing I miss about my RP is the EVF.

Malachi42's gear list:Malachi42's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS M3 +14 more
jase
jase Contributing Member • Posts: 644

Malachi42 wrote:

I've not had any issues at all with the EVF. It has 5 brightness levels and I don't think I've ever had it above the middle setting.

When ever I pick up a DSLR, the very first thing I miss about my RP is the EVF.

I didn't know it had brightness levels.  I somewhat reluctantly sold my last DSLR today as I can't actually see a reason why I would want one any more.  The EVF on my RP is better than the OVF on my 6D.  OVFs don't give exposure preview, which I can turn off if I'm using a flash and manual legacy lenses.  OVFs don't offer focus peaking or magnification either.  I don't miss the flappy up mirror or the size, or the inability to work with old lenses or the weight either.

-- hide signature --

jase

jase's gear list:jase's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +6 more
Malachi42 Forum Member • Posts: 59

jase wrote:

I didn't know it had brightness levels.

Yep, it sure does.  If you haven't found it yet, in the menu system, it is on the 'set up2' page, which is the second page of the 'wrench' tab.

To adjust the EVF brightness, you have to be using the EVF at the time.  If you're using the rear display, then it adjusts the brightness for the display.

I have it assigned to my custom menu, because I like to lower the brightness at night.

Malachi42's gear list:Malachi42's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS M3 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads