Canon EOS R6 Sensor Measurements at PhotonsToPhotos

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 11,544
Canon EOS R6 Sensor Measurements at PhotonsToPhotos

Like the R5 there is some sort of Noise Reduction (NR) at low ISO settings (down triangle symbol). Here's the Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) :

Because of the NR it's a little hard to judge if there is dual conversion gain at ISO 400 or not; that is still under investigation but I suspect not.

Unlike the R5 I did not detect NR using electronic shutter on the R6.
Here are some of the 2D Fourier Transforms (pushed to enhance visibility):

Mechanical shutter all whole ISO settings

Electronic shutter first four whole ISO settings

Remember, "random" pattern means no processing.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 15,470
Re: Canon EOS R6 Sensor Measurements at PhotonsToPhotos

Thanks for your work!

the years of long discussions about DR gaps between Sony and Canon have gone on mute

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP +12 more
juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,338

So the R’s DR is actually better than the R6 with ES... it’s because Canon lowers the bitrate for a faster readout of the sensor and reduce rolling shutter right?

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R5 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4 Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +4 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,395

juanmaasecas wrote:

So the R’s DR is actually better than the R6 with ES... it’s because Canon lowers the bitrate for a faster readout of the sensor and reduce rolling shutter right?

You couldn't possibly have base-ISO DR with 12 bits that is equal to that at 14 bits with this sensor. The deepest shadows would be so severely posterized that the term DR would beg for an expanded definition. You need sufficient bit depth in a linear system to support a certain level of pixel-level DR that is noise-limited at the bottom end.

DR only starts making sense in the current definition when the black frame noise is at least 0.8 DN (preferably slightly higher in cameras with much spatially-correlated noise), and 12 bits with 14-bit noise in this case would be about 0.3DN.

William Woodruff Contributing Member • Posts: 764

bclaff wrote:

Like the R5 there is some sort of Noise Reduction (NR) at low ISO settings (down triangle symbol). Here's the Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) :

Because of the NR it's a little hard to judge if there is dual conversion gain at ISO 400 or not; that is still under investigation but I suspect not.

Unlike the R5 I did not detect NR using electronic shutter on the R6.
Here are some of the 2D Fourier Transforms (pushed to enhance visibility):

Mechanical shutter all whole ISO settings

Electronic shutter first four whole ISO settings

Remember, "random" pattern means no processing.

Thanks, Bill, you da man!

-- hide signature --

WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M
OP bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 11,544

juanmaasecas wrote:

It's not unusual for electronic to have more noise than mechanical.
In this case it's hard to judge the effect since they are doing NR for mechanical; and not for electronic.

-- hide signature --

Canochrome Regular Member • Posts: 351

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Tom

Canochrome's gear list:Canochrome's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +20 more
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,775
No 13 Bit capture?

I assume the omission of the the H+ 13 bit plot means it doesn't share the R5's H+ processing? I don't remember the literature saying it had a 13 bit processing mode like the R5, but a lot of people were assuming it did.

However, its interesting to see the the R5's high speed (HS) plot looks very similar to the R6's base plot.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Re: No 13 Bit capture?

Tazz93 wrote:

I assume the omission of the the H+ 13 bit plot means it doesn't share the R5's H+ processing? I don't remember the literature saying it had a 13 bit processing mode like the R5, but a lot of people were assuming it did.

However, its interesting to see the the R5's high speed (HS) plot looks very similar to the R6's base plot.

There is no H+ data because the person helping with the data collection didn't provide H+ files. I often only get mechanical shutter, which is my baseline, so having electronic too is already a plus.

-- hide signature --

gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,356

bclaff wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

There is no H+ data because the person helping with the data collection didn't provide H+ files. I often only get mechanical shutter, which is my baseline, so having electronic too is already a plus.

Also, I don't think there is a difference between HS and HS+ in the case of the R6.  So no 13 bit mode. Just 14 bit for mechanical and EFCS or 12 bit for ES.

Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,057

bclaff wrote:

Like the R5 there is some sort of Noise Reduction (NR) at low ISO settings (down triangle symbol). Here's the Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) (...)

Thank you!

It's interesting that the R6's DR is roughly the same as 1DxIII which presumably has the same sensor

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%201D%20X%20Mark%20III,Canon%20EOS%20R6

Which may indicate the correlations you see don't actually improve the DR but are about something else. Maybe the same applies to the R5.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Take away: R5 beats them all

The R5 has a base-ISO DR that beats all Canon predecessors and most other FF cameras out there. The R5 13-bit mode is equivalent to the 14 bit mode of the R6 and 1DX3; and the R5 ES DR beats the ES DR of the R6 and 1DX3 substantially. All this while reading out 2.25x the number of pixels. The R5 really rocks!

Tazz93

gimp_dad wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Also, I don't think there is a difference between HS and HS+ in the case of the R6. So no 13 bit mode. Just 14 bit for mechanical and EFCS or 12 bit for ES.

This was my understanding as well. Looking at some other market's documentation, the R6 didn't mention a differentiation, where the R5 did.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Tazz93

bclaff wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Thanks for the time consuming work. Also thank your file donor for his or her time as well.

-- hide signature --

Tazz93 wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Thanks for the time consuming work. Also thank your file donor for his or her time as well.

Yes, especially in these trying times, I rely on the help of others to perform these measurements. I'm still sifting through a little more data.

-- hide signature --

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: Take away: R5 beats them all

gimp_dad wrote:

The R5 has a base-ISO DR that beats all Canon predecessors and most other FF cameras out there. The R5 13-bit mode is equivalent to the 14 bit mode of the R6 and 1DX3; and the R5 ES DR beats the ES DR of the R6 and 1DX3 substantially. All this while reading out 2.25x the number of pixels. The R5 really rocks!

The R5 in ES mode is essentially an R as far as DR. If you need ES for high speed shooting then that's great, but if you need it for silent shooting, then there's no DR improvement story here.

highdesertmesa wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

The R5 in ES mode is essentially an R as far as DR. If you need ES for high speed shooting then that's great, but if you need it for silent shooting, then there's no DR improvement story here.

I'm not  a big fan of silent shutter with the R because there are precious few situations where silent shutter is absolutely needed while simultaneously being able to tolerate the 80ms rolling shutter of the R. To avoid artificial light banding and rolling shutter artifacts I've rarely used ES with my R.

And the new mechanical shutter of the R5 though extremely fast is quieter than most other mechanical shutters I've used. One shot with EFCS is not much louder than the aperture movements.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 468

gimp_dad wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

I'm not a big fan of silent shutter with the R because there are precious few situations where silent shutter is absolutely needed while simultaneously being able to tolerate the 80ms rolling shutter of the R. To avoid artificial light banding and rolling shutter artifacts I've rarely used ES with my R.

And the new mechanical shutter of the R5 though extremely fast is quieter than most other mechanical shutters I've used. One shot with EFCS is not much louder than the aperture movements.

I had the R6 for about two weeks, and the yes the EFCS and even mechanical puts the R to shame – very quiet and nice sound.

On the R, I had used ES for handheld landscape to minimize vibrations – probably not needed on the R5/6. Still, it would have been nice if there was a slower FPS ES mode on the R5/6 that kept the DR at the 14-bit level.

highdesertmesa wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

gimp_dad wrote:

I'm not a big fan of silent shutter with the R because there are precious few situations where silent shutter is absolutely needed while simultaneously being able to tolerate the 80ms rolling shutter of the R. To avoid artificial light banding and rolling shutter artifacts I've rarely used ES with my R.

I had the R6 for about two weeks, and the yes the EFCS and even mechanical puts the R to shame – very quiet and nice sound.

On the R, I had used ES for handheld landscape to minimize vibrations – probably not needed on the R5/6. Still, it would have been nice if there was a slower FPS ES mode on the R5/6 that kept the DR at the 14-bit level.

EFCS eliminates shutter shock concerns and is 14 bit. Although, I'll be surprised if full mechanical shutter has any significant shutter shock anyway. I don't remember running into it with my R even in the danger zone of shutter speeds.

That said, I'm not sure why they chose not to offer a slower readout mode with higher precision conversion. Maybe they just didn't want to offer a mode with the potential artifacts.

rednefed Contributing Member • Posts: 855

Is the R6 imaging pipeline much different than the 1Dx3? There are some differences at lower ISO that seem outside the realm of measurement error. And the 1Dx3 doesn't seem to do low ISO noise reduction?

rednefed's gear list:rednefed's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 Art +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads