A7ii vs A7rii vs A7iii (only lenses would be different)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Och Elo Regular Member • Posts: 274
A7ii vs A7rii vs A7iii (only lenses would be different)

My wife is looking to get back into photography, she previously shot with DSLRs. She really likes the feel of the Sony cameras, and she's contemplating 3 different options with similar cost.

A7ii with 28-70 kit + 1 high quality prime or 2-3 good primes : So maybe add the 24mm 1.4 or the 28mm + 55mm. She doesn't shoot wider than 28mm that often so the 24mm isn't a must, but it would give her the option, add low light capability, stay compact (important to her) and be really good IQ-wise.

A7rii with Tamron 28-75 2.8: Good body with good lens, very versatile and fairly compact kit.

A7iii with 28-70 kit + 1 cheap prime : So add something like the FE 50mm 1.8 or a Samyang lens for low light.

She may add lenses down the line, but assume this is the kit she'll shoot with for at least a year or so. What would be the best kit?

gabazz Regular Member • Posts: 311
Re: A7ii vs A7rii vs A7iii (only lenses would be different)

the A7III is the better overall camera. Unless you need the resolution of the A7RII (which I think is not the most important thing here as you are considering the A7II & A7III), I would go for the A7III.

If the budget allows add the Tamron 28-75 with this camera. Do not get the 50mm 1.8 as it is pretty mediocre. Just save the money. If the kit lens is what you can afford, it would be good to have something to start using until you can save up for an upgrade. As for the 50mm focal length prime, Save up to the Sony-Zeiss 55mm it is a nice lens.

gabazz's gear list:gabazz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,248

Och Elo wrote:

My wife is looking to get back into photography, she previously shot with DSLRs. She really likes the feel of the Sony cameras, and she's contemplating 3 different options with similar cost.

A7ii with 28-70 kit + 1 high quality prime or 2-3 good primes : So maybe add the 24mm 1.4 or the 28mm + 55mm. She doesn't shoot wider than 28mm that often so the 24mm isn't a must, but it would give her the option, add low light capability, stay compact (important to her) and be really good IQ-wise.

A7rii with Tamron 28-75 2.8: Good body with good lens, very versatile and fairly compact kit.

A7iii with 28-70 kit + 1 cheap prime : So add something like the FE 50mm 1.8 or a Samyang lens for low light.

She may add lenses down the line, but assume this is the kit she'll shoot with for at least a year or so. What would be the best kit?

Sony cameras have strong resale value. You can start with the cheapest option, and enjoy more lenses. The A7II is not very good in low light or with action. Your other options are not up-to-date with AF features either.

I have no personal experience owning just a single lens, but I find 28-75 F2.8 rather limiting the few times I've used one. I wouldn't recommend it as an only lens. The 28-70 OSS can be very good and often only add $100 to the body-only cost.

I like the 50mm F1.8.

I'll recommend the Tamron 20mm F2.8 OSD for wide angle.

I've been enjoying the Canon EF 70-200 F4L USM recently using it mainly as a 200 mm prime.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 III NEX-5T Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +124 more
certo666 New Member • Posts: 15

I got the Sony A7II over a year ago in a pinch for a job. I've done some good work with it but I am already looking to upgrade.

1) It eats batteries alive - I believe the A7RII is a similar story with battery life. Newer models use a new battery.

2) The colours are a bit green out of the box - not a big deal for some but easily fixable with presets or calibration.

3) The autofocus can be very poor at times, with a bit of hunting. If your wife likes portraiture, I think she'll enjoy the eye-AF of the A7III.

4) Low light performance is grainy for full-frame

certo666's gear list:certo666's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 2,935

If your budget would stretch for it, I would strongly recommend the 28-75 F2.8mm with an A7III. Maybe by buying used/refurbished?  Much better battery, controls, and AF, with acceptable low-light performance and background blur to avoid carrying primes around.  Also, it's a pretty lightweight combo.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8
drmarkf Contributing Member • Posts: 686

You’ve had some thoughtful suggestions so far, but the sort of photography your wife does or wants to do is also relevant (and some would say it’s more important than, say, the ultimate sensor performance differences between the body choices).

If she wants to shoot things that move, the 7iii would be by far the best choice: the Rii has relatively weak and frustrating continuous AF and a poor frame rate.

Also, if she wanted to do candid street or travel photography the 7ii doesn’t have silent shutter and the Rii can’t do silent drive mode.

Personally I found the optical performance of the 28-70 to be well below the standard of the Rii especially at the long end: maybe I got a bad copy, and I haven’t tried the Tamron, but maybe give it a try before committing if you were going that way.

There are lots of Rii bodies available in immaculate condition s/h, of course, and if she majored on studio or landscape shooting it now offers really fantastic value. I wouldn’t trust it outside in the rain, though...

drmarkf's gear list:drmarkf's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony a7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 III +17 more
certo666 New Member • Posts: 15

Maybe there are quality discrepancies with the Tamron. My copy performs well and I'm very happy with it. It sits on the camera most of the time as it's compact and light.

That said, had the Sigma 24-70mm been available at the time I would have grabbed that, solely for the slightly better bokeh. If budget is your concern @Och, the Tamron is very affordable, though try and test your copy first.

certo666's gear list:certo666's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads