Can’t we get a new forum for Software?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Hans de Zomers Regular Member • Posts: 475
Can’t we get a new forum for Software?

Looking at the top postings in the Retouching forum, I notice that there mostly software related questing like

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

All valid topics perhaps but many unrelated to Retouching.

Can we get a Software forum (platform unrelated) where such topics can land in? That would improve the quality of this forum a lot.

Hans de Zomers's gear list:Hans de Zomers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS M50
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Danielx64 Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: Can’t we get a new forum for Software?

Hans de Zomers wrote:

Looking at the top postings in the Retouching forum, I notice that there mostly software related questing like

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

Can we get a Software forum (platform unrelated) where such topics can land in? That would improve the quality of this forum a lot.

That would be a nice idea, I use an RSS reader to get the latest topics on my phone and doing this would cut out how much is coming up in my feed that's unrelated to what I am interested in reading.

Gabriel Chalmeta Forum Member • Posts: 82

Edition software?

Software editors?

-- hide signature --

gabriel

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247

Hans de Zomers wrote:

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

I've pondered this for a while, but have concluded that retouching (however you choose to define it) and the tools needed to do it are too closely linked.

I think we would lose more than we gain, so I would say no

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
ajscullard Senior Member • Posts: 1,037
The horse is dead, please stop flogging it.

This keeps being resurrected every so often by people who don't make any effort to search for previous posts (and you've been here long enough to have seen some of them). In turn, I can't be bothered repeating my previous list of threads.

It's been tried before and it didn't work because people got very confused about nomenclature and which post to put where. I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it.

Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,530

Hans de Zomers wrote:

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

I've been there, done that.

No response from dpreview concerning splitting this forum.

It's NOT gonna happen.

fimiank Forum Member • Posts: 55

Toermalijn wrote:

Hans de Zomers wrote:

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

I've been there, done that.

No response from dpreview concerning splitting this forum.

It's NOT gonna happen.

I remember the hoopla when there was an attempt to have two forums. I have forgotten what they called them, but it was not that well named.

It is strange that it is so hard to come up with solution for the linguistic issue of the titles and even weirder is DPR's attitude. If I'm not mistaken, an argument was that there can't be so many forums. However, if they can occupy the forum list with headings like Casio, Kodak, Kodak SLR, Konica Minolta etc., which if you try, first page quickly get into months, if not years old entries.

Part of the current problem with retouching techniques and picture related entries drowning in arguing about software etc. is that the former generally requires more effort and perhaps time to participate.

-- hide signature --

Kjell

fimiank's gear list:fimiank's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon Pixma Pro-100 +2 more
irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,601

Hans de Zomers wrote:

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

Don't you know that the overwhelming majority of people posting in this forum are not artistically inclined?

They are technicians trying to create art by numbers.

That's why they are always trying to squeeze the last drop of "creativity" from whatever software they are infatuated with at the moment. Losing effort, I know.

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,148

I'm OK with the status quo; and if I'm honest I agree with the DPReview stance that there are already too many forums. I can see the sheer number of forums being intimidating to a new user; and then there's the fact that each forum needs a moderating team.

If we do split it at any stage perhaps:

• Retouching software/tools
  • Retouching techniques

I'm happy with things as they are though. Is it ideal? No. Is it sufficient? Yes.

Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,766
Doesn't the forum description cover it?

Even if the name of the forum is a bit vague.

-- hide signature --

--

DS

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 18,559

Or simply rename the existing forum Photo Software.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,612

Heh. I think every forum hereabouts should have two subforums:

One for how to use the software/camera/technique and the results.

The other for arguing about the merits of the particular tools.

Like Retouching>technique and Retouching>programs. And M43>images and technique and M43>cameras and lenses (I almost said "equivalence"....).

Greg.
Greg. Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
Elvis has left the building
BG454 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,235

Hans de Zomers wrote:

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

If I have a problem with installation of a piece of software I'll post my questions on the "PC Talk" Forum.
If I have a question regarding the USE of a piece of editing software I'll post it here, on the "Retouching" Forum.

Why do we need yet another Forum?

BG454's gear list:BG454's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 80D Olympus PEN-F Canon 6D Mark II +17 more
robflores
robflores Forum Member • Posts: 54

Lan wrote:

"I'm honest I agree with the DPReview stance that there are already too many forums."

Yeah: 7 Nikons, 7 Canons, 5 Sonys. Seriously?

robflores's gear list:robflores's gear list
Nikon Df
fimiank Forum Member • Posts: 55

MisterBG wrote:

Hans de Zomers wrote:

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

If I have a problem with installation of a piece of software I'll post my questions on the "PC Talk" Forum.
If I have a question regarding the USE of a piece of editing software I'll post it here, on the "Retouching" Forum.

Why do we need yet another Forum?

Because a question like "How do I change the color of the car?" will drown in all the software news or bickering entries and may quickly disappear from first page and will many times not have a chance to get adequately answered.

This used to be a very interesting and educational forum and worthy of a daily visit. Not anymore - unless you are in the market to upgrade your software arsenal.

-- hide signature --

Kjell

fimiank's gear list:fimiank's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon Pixma Pro-100 +2 more
pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,698

Hans de Zomers wrote:

product X is released

Who uses product X

Can product X do this

I agree. The image retouching/drawing stuff should be separate from the software tools.

-- hide signature --

Peter
_
Jedem das Seine, mir das Meiste!

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D1X Nikon D4S +25 more
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,148

pforsell wrote:

Hans de Zomers wrote:

I agree. The image retouching/drawing stuff should be separate from the software tools.

Be careful what you wish for; you may find that if you split the forums in two there might not be enough people left in each community for them both to be self sustaining...

gkal Regular Member • Posts: 154

Anything to do with retouching, requires a software. And any software in a photography forum has to do with retouching. You cannot have one without the other. To my understanding, the same questions that are to be posted in a software forum is also valid in a retouch forum. For example, where do I post  a question such as : How do I replace the sky in Photoshop?

George

OP Hans de Zomers Regular Member • Posts: 475

gkal wrote:

For example, where do I post a question such as : How do I replace the sky in Photoshop?

That would be retouching because it's a question about using Photoshop to retouch an image.

Here are examples in the 25 latest topics of the Retouching which I think need to be moved to this new Software forum. That is 15 of the 25 topics! They are in no way about using that software to achieve some kind of retouching.

Beginner Question: what are the current best alternatives to Lightroom

ACDSee Ultimate 2021 is released

Lightroom gets color grading panel

Pixbim Color Surprise

"IPC Memory in Use"

Topaz Denoise v2.3

ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2021 for $10USD/$15AUD per year

Monthly Adobe CC plan?

Creative cloud storage with Lr Classic

Skylum's next big issue: ** Be aware ** DO NOT UPDATE Luminar 4.2

Lr Catalog Cleansing/Maintenance?

DXO and R6/R5 files