how do you clean em5.3?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
cx5bc Junior Member • Posts: 40
how do you clean em5.3?

Hi,

I an wondering how people clean the em5.3 and pro lenses? I usually use dump cloth and wipe, but is there is a better way to ckean, let's say if you visited a beach? Any comment appreciated. Thanks.

RobbieBear Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: how do you clean em5.3?

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

I an wondering how people clean the em5.3 and pro lenses? I usually use dump cloth and wipe, but is there is a better way to ckean, let's say if you visited a beach? Any comment appreciated. Thanks.

In terms of cleaning lenses, for me, its Lenspen every time. I also have a flat (as opposed to the normal concave ones) for cleaning my filters.

If I was shooting anywhere near sand, I would always use a protection filter on the lens. (Eg Hoya HD or Revo). I would rinse the filter before cleaning it with the filter lenspen.

RobbieBear's gear list:RobbieBear's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
TheEye
TheEye Veteran Member • Posts: 4,836
Not an E-M5...

A list of things I use to keep my gear clean:

A chamois cloth for wiping water spray of the gear in the field

polyvinyl alcohol cleaning putty and Rodico putty for the body and lens barrel

Ether, lens or sensor cleaning fluid for cleaning the glass elements on a lens, also Pec Pads or lens tissue, clean microfiber lens cloth for dry-cleaning, lens brush

Dealing with sand:

I tape with gaff tape over sensitive areas on the camera.

I use a blower only when appropriate because I find it tends to get the sand into areas hard or impossible to reach. Instead, I use a small vacuum cleaner, a fine-tipped brush, and pointy toothpicks for cleaning. I also use cleaning putty.

OP cx5bc Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Not an E-M5...

Thanks for both replies as all the tips I will use. Out of curiosity, has anyone rinsed under a water?

cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 3,145

cx5bc wrote:

Thanks for both replies as all the tips I will use. Out of curiosity, has anyone rinsed under a water?

Salt spray and sand? Rinse camera and pro lens under water first, it is weather proof after all. Then you can use a soapy solution or ethyl alcohol (aka ethanol aka medical alcohol aka drinking grog).

Camera and lenses use Polycarbonate. Which is resistant to many compounds. But it is NOT compatible with methyl alcohol, acetone, ketones, ethers, aromatic and chlorinated hydrocarbons, aqueous or alcoholic alkaline solutions.

So, if you want to use alcohol, use ethanol and not methanol (aka methyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol). In many countries ethanol is much more expensive, because it is drinkable and taxed as such. There is not a severe effect with methanol on polycarbonate, but it can cause discoloration unless the plastic part is painted. See here:

https://www.calpaclab.com/polycarbonate-chemical-compatibility-chart/

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,702

TheEye wrote:

A list of things I use to keep my gear clean:

A chamois cloth for wiping water spray of the gear in the field

polyvinyl alcohol cleaning putty and Rodico putty for the body and lens barrel

Ether, lens or sensor cleaning fluid for cleaning the glass elements on a lens, also Pec Pads or lens tissue, clean microfiber lens cloth for dry-cleaning, lens brush

Dealing with sand:

I tape with gaff tape over sensitive areas on the camera.

I use a blower only when appropriate because I find it tends to get the sand into areas hard or impossible to reach. Instead, I use a small vacuum cleaner, a fine-tipped brush, and pointy toothpicks for cleaning. I also use cleaning putty.

An awful large arsenal of different cleaning products. Are you a car detailer, a cosmetologist or a camera cleaning kit retailer?

My gear gets dirty and wet in motocross, BMX, slalom and so on. I usually give a quick dash for my camera and lens under the shower and wipe the excess water off with a towel. Has worked well for a couple of decades.

-- hide signature --

Peter
_
Jedem das Seine, mir das Meiste!

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +25 more
Confusedabit Contributing Member • Posts: 815
Re: how do you clean em5.3?

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

Can't you just hose it down? We are not talking about Sony here.

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL8 Panasonic G90 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads