Easy-to-disassemble lens

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,335
You've made it!

Alphoid wrote:

Jar gripper and a good hard twisted unscrewed the front group. I'm always scared to use force like that until I know I'm twisting the right thing.

As promised, the aperture is right there. It now twists freely, and I don't think there's any reason to remove the rear group. I think I'm all set.

Thank you all so much!

Now, I just need to rig it up to an old u4/3 camera.

This is fun!

Great! You're just where you want to be.

Of course, if you get a whole Speed Graphic there's no end to the fun you can have.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
OP Alphoid Veteran Member • Posts: 5,674
What would I do with it?

Of course, if you get a whole Speed Graphic there's no end to the fun you can have.

Given limited time, space, and budget, would I have any fun?

It seems like I'd be spending a big chunk of $$$ per photo on film and chemicals, which would stress me out, rather than be a source of fun.

$35 lens was really ideal, since it's less than movie tickets for a family, and provides many hours of fun.

That's a serious question. What would I do with a camera like that, given finite budget? I could afford one, but running costs seem high.

NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,413
Re: What would I do with it?

I mentioned earlier there are Graflok backs that fit on the back . You hang your digital camera off the back of the camera. No film to buy. A quick search doesn't find one for 4/3 but both Nikon and Canon have options. Depends on your budget.

You could try making a nesting box bellows. Cardboard boxes are often free. Or buy some cloth and make a bag bellows. You'd then need to rig up a frame to hold the camera and lens in place.

http://www.f295.org/main/showthread.php?11461-5x7-Format-Nested-Box-Camera

Something like that won't be too expensive. But you need to hold the camera in place.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more

Thank you for the links.

If doing that, I guess my question would be about why I'd bother with an actual camera?

My first pass last night was:

• Take a c-mount lens adapter, and hot-glue a toilet paper tube in place. This blocks off most light.
  • Take a tissue box. Mount the lens in the tissue box. Stick that over the toilet paper tube.

I stuck an old u4/3 camera on a support, and moved the tissue box to focus.

The pictures weren't great, but I did get one nice portrait. For the most part, contrast was horrible, but I figure that's because light was leaking in. If I were fancy -- and I probably eventually will be -- I'd attach a black sheet of cloth between the two blocking the light, and spray paint everything black.

One of the keys is that I get a pretty good preview with mirrorless, which reduces a lot of the complexity of traditional cameras of this type.

So far, I'm at $35 budget spent, plus another $15 to bump up to free shipping

Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,138

Alphoid wrote:

Thank you for the links.

If doing that, I guess my question would be about why I'd bother with an actual camera?

My first pass last night was:

• Take a c-mount lens adapter, and hot-glue a toilet paper tube in place. This blocks off most light.
  • Take a tissue box. Mount the lens in the tissue box. Stick that over the toilet paper tube.

I stuck an old u4/3 camera on a support, and moved the tissue box to focus.

The pictures weren't great, but I did get one nice portrait. For the most part, contrast was horrible, but I figure that's because light was leaking in. If I were fancy -- and I probably eventually will be -- I'd attach a black sheet of cloth between the two blocking the light, and spray paint everything black.

One of the keys is that I get a pretty good preview with mirrorless, which reduces a lot of the complexity of traditional cameras of this type.

So far, I'm at $35 budget spent, plus another $15 to bump up to free shipping

I think you're on the right track here. If you could find two tubes or boxes that are a good fit to telescope that could take it up a notch.

Getting more serious, you might look for a cheap macro bellows on ebay -- most of them can be adapted to m4/3 so you'd be looking for something where it would be fairly easy to attach your lens to the front. But that could run 30 or 40 bucks for bellows, shipping and m4/3 adapter -- maybe overkill for this kind of project.

Even with the light leaks blocked contrast will be low and flare high. Lens coatings were not what they are now -- if this lens is even coated.

Gato

john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,847
Re: Easy-to-disassemble lens

Alphoid wrote:

What's a cheap, easiest-to-disassemble (and reassemble) lens?

Teaching kids.

It doesn't need to reassemble optically calibrated, but it should work (we use u4/3, since anything adapts).

Wide-ish aperture preferred. A big part of this is understanding what the aperture does, and that's easier if you can have big bokeh balls.

I'm thinking some historical lens from a now-dead MF mount? Or a cheap Chinese CCTV lens of some kind?

You want a strictly manual lens. And one with a large aperture. I would try a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AiS lens.

And as luck would have it, there is a video showing how to disassemble and clean oil from the aperture blades of that lens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqKFSThFbMo

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Leonard Migliore
À la recherche du temps perdu

Alphoid wrote:

Given limited time, space, and budget, would I have any fun?

It seems like I'd be spending a big chunk of $$$ per photo on film and chemicals, which would stress me out, rather than be a source of fun.

$35 lens was really ideal, since it's less than movie tickets for a family, and provides many hours of fun.

That's a serious question. What would I do with a camera like that, given finite budget? I could afford one, but running costs seem high.

I agree that actually shooting pictures with a Speed Graphic would be expensive; I wasn't thinking of budgetary limitations when I made that statement.

But I was just remembering working with those 4X5 negatives and chromes. It was a whole different world.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Lens coatings

I don't think the lens is coated, but I could be wrong. It doesn't look coated

Are there any DIY ways to make a lousy lens coating? Or is it all vacuum chambers and thin film deposition? I would expect to get the performance of a modern multicoated lens, obviously, but even a little bit would be fun.

I'd read somewhere about some early coating which were just a layer of some kind of oil, but I can't find a reference anywhere. The ones I'm finding now are beyond the means of a household lab.

Re: À la recherche du temps perdu

Aye. It'd be fun. Someday, when I'm rich, retired, and living a life of leisure, I might take up 4x5 photography.

Leonard Migliore
Re: Lens coatings

Alphoid wrote:

I don't think the lens is coated, but I could be wrong. It doesn't look coated

I'm pretty sure it's not coated.

Are there any DIY ways to make a lousy lens coating? Or is it all vacuum chambers and thin film deposition? I would expect to get the performance of a modern multicoated lens, obviously, but even a little bit would be fun.

I'd read somewhere about some early coating which were just a layer of some kind of oil, but I can't find a reference anywhere. The ones I'm finding now are beyond the means of a household lab.

That's consistent with my understanding of lens coatings.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore
Re: À la recherche du temps perdu

Alphoid wrote:

Aye. It'd be fun. Someday, when I'm rich, retired, and living a life of leisure, I might take up 4x5 photography.

It's the only way I would go back to film. 4X5 in a wet darkroom. Tremendous tonal scale. Incredible sharpness. Big prints. But definitely a hobby for the rich; even the enlargers cost a fortune. I was working in academic and industrial laboratories where money meant nothing. It was good.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

TripleCoatedBokeh
TripleCoatedBokeh Contributing Member • Posts: 548
Re: Easy-to-disassemble lens

Alphoid wrote:

What's a cheap, easiest-to-disassemble (and reassemble) lens?

Teaching kids.

It doesn't need to reassemble optically calibrated, but it should work (we use u4/3, since anything adapts).

Wide-ish aperture preferred. A big part of this is understanding what the aperture does, and that's easier if you can have big bokeh balls.

I'm thinking some historical lens from a now-dead MF mount? Or a cheap Chinese CCTV lens of some kind?

I've watched a few videos on disassembly and reassembly of pentax 50mm lenses and they seem quite simple, don't require a ton of special tools or techniques. They also have pretty tough build quality and should hold up well to students using them. And they are cheap. Just my .02

https://www.keh.com/shop/pentax-50mm-f-2-smc-m-k-mount-manual-focus-lens-49.html

TripleCoatedBokeh's gear list:TripleCoatedBokeh's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Canon EOS 10D Olympus E-520 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads