Saliva on GH5 sensor

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Patricio_veliz New Member • Posts: 1
Saliva on GH5 sensor

So I did the very foolish mistake of blowing on my GH5 sensor to with my mouth to get some dust off. It did the trick but I got a little saliva on it. It's not a lot. Just one small particle of saliva. Will this damage the sensor? Should I get it professionally cleaned? Will the particle just dry and go away? Do I use a camera blower? Or what do I do??

Thanks, Patricio

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
XVOYAGERX
XVOYAGERX Senior Member • Posts: 1,764
Re: Saliva on GH5 sensor

You might need to use one of the wet/dry sensor cleaners available, as i doubt that `hard saliva` mark will go away on its own, check on Amazon B@H or any other good shopping sites, also i doubt that the mark will damage your sensor!!

-- hide signature --

Allan.

XVOYAGERX's gear list:XVOYAGERX's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic GH5 +1 more
Gnine Senior Member • Posts: 2,093

Remember when your mum used to spit on the corner of a hanky, & wipe smudges off your face? Did that damage you?

Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Saliva on GH5 sensor = GH5s

So THAT'S how Panasonic developed the GH5s ...

Sorry Patricio, couldn't help it !

BTW, Allan's right.

Daiken Regular Member • Posts: 437

Shouldn't damage the sensor. It will not dry up and blow off. Usually spit will dry and leave a spot on the sensor that you can only get off with mechanical force. You can get sensor cleaning swabs from Amazon that will come with vacuum sealed swabs and cleaning fluid. That should do it.

Alternatively if you wanna be cheap or if you're in a hurry, you can use the felt tip of a clean/new lens pen if you've got one. Most people will say that's dumb, but I've done it like 5 times now while traveling and have not had any issues. You have to obviously be super careful and gentle. There are also specially made sensor pens but if you're buying something, I'd go with the swabs and cleaning solution.

stevevp Regular Member • Posts: 378

Patricio_veliz wrote:

So I did the very foolish mistake of blowing on my GH5 sensor to with my mouth to get some dust off. It did the trick but I got a little saliva on it. It's not a lot. Just one small particle of saliva. Will this damage the sensor? Should I get it professionally cleaned? Will the particle just dry and go away? Do I use a camera blower? Or what do I do??

Thanks, Patricio

Stick it in quarantine for a couple of weeks?

stevevp's gear list:stevevp's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +2 more
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 7,413

Daiken wrote:

Shouldn't damage the sensor. It will not dry up and blow off. Usually spit will dry and leave a spot on the sensor that you can only get off with mechanical force. You can get sensor cleaning swabs from Amazon that will come with vacuum sealed swabs and cleaning fluid. That should do it.

Alternatively if you wanna be cheap or if you're in a hurry, you can use the felt tip of a clean/new lens pen if you've got one. Most people will say that's dumb, but I've done it like 5 times now while traveling and have not had any issues. You have to obviously be super careful and gentle. There are also specially made sensor pens but if you're buying something, I'd go with the swabs and cleaning solution.

I'd be wary of the newer types of LensPen that have pale grey tips, as they are little terrors for leaving a powdery residue on optics, so I imagine they'd do the same to a sensor's filter stack surface. Whilst it may then be removable with a rocket blower, the powder is light enough that it would likely blow in multiple directions.

cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 3,134

Fortunately saliva is water soluble. Just fog the sensor with your breath, and use a lint free tissue to wipe it clean. You can use a very lightly moistened cotton ball too.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads