16-55 Hood

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,184
16-55 Hood

Hi, am I the only one getting absolutely fed up the the appalling lens hood on the 16-55/f28?  This lens costs £999 - yes £1000 pounds in the UK, yet the lens hood is abysmal. It will not go one first time when needed and after 10 months with it I still find it impossible to reverse and store.

Fujifilm - this hood is wholly unworthy of a £1000 red badge lens. Hobby horse over!

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +6 more
mulveyr Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: 16-55 Hood

jhorse wrote:

Hi, am I the only one getting absolutely fed up the the appalling lens hood on the 16-55/f28? This lens costs £999 - yes £1000 pounds in the UK, yet the lens hood is abysmal. It will not go one first time when needed and after 10 months with it I still find it impossible to reverse and store.

Fujifilm - this hood is wholly unworthy of a £1000 red badge lens. Hobby horse over!

Fuji hoods in general just suck, honestly. Well, the F2 primes are adequate, but the 50-140 is beyond awful. I don't think I've ever managed to get it on without a struggle, regardless of the techniques people have suggested here ( and the fact that you even need a 'technique' is bad enough. )

- Rich

mulveyr's gear list:mulveyr's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 +1 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,228
Not seeing it...

jhorse wrote:

Hi, am I the only one getting absolutely fed up the the appalling lens hood on the 16-55/f28? This lens costs £999 - yes £1000 pounds in the UK, yet the lens hood is abysmal. It will not go one first time when needed and after 10 months with it I still find it impossible to reverse and store.

So, I just double checked that lens and hood to make sure that I hadn't missed something, but I've owned that lens since not long after its introduction and haven't experienced any unusual fit issues with the hood at all.  It fits a bit snugly, as it should to ensure that it stays in place.  But I don't feel that I have to wrestle with it either to put it on, take it off, or invert it for storage.  I'll be interested to see what others have to say, but honestly this has been a complete non issue for me and have to wonder whether you might perhaps simply have a somewhat more poorly fitting hood.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
OP jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,184
Re: Not seeing it...

Jerry-astro wrote:

jhorse wrote:

So, I just double checked that lens and hood to make sure that I hadn't missed something, but I've owned that lens since not long after its introduction and haven't experienced any unusual fit issues with the hood at all. It fits a bit snugly, as it should to ensure that it stays in place. But I don't feel that I have to wrestle with it either to put it on, take it off, or invert it for storage. I'll be interested to see what others have to say, but honestly this has been a complete non issue for me and have to wonder whether you might perhaps simply have a somewhat more poorly fitting hood.

Thanks and I am glad that for you and others it is a non issue. I bought my 16-55 in Dec 19 and other than the hood it is a superb lens. My hood is just okay to mount, but it simply will not reverse mount.  So much so that I am thinking of buying a third party screw in hood. Very disappointed in its design.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +6 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 2,745

I have absolutely no trouble with 16-55 hood whatsoever, easy on, easy off every time. Take a close look under magnification to see if a bit of plastic flashing that needs a trim. I do have a screw on hood that allows my X-T2 w/16-55 to fit in my Peak Design 3L sling bag, it protects the front element well, but doesn’t cast shade as well as the original.

Now the original hood for the 56mm is another matter...

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +2 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,228

jhorse wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

jhorse wrote:

So, I just double checked that lens and hood to make sure that I hadn't missed something, but I've owned that lens since not long after its introduction and haven't experienced any unusual fit issues with the hood at all. It fits a bit snugly, as it should to ensure that it stays in place. But I don't feel that I have to wrestle with it either to put it on, take it off, or invert it for storage. I'll be interested to see what others have to say, but honestly this has been a complete non issue for me and have to wonder whether you might perhaps simply have a somewhat more poorly fitting hood.

Thanks and I am glad that for you and others it is a non issue. I bought my 16-55 in Dec 19 and other than the hood it is a superb lens. My hood is just okay to mount, but it simply will not reverse mount. So much so that I am thinking of buying a third party screw in hood. Very disappointed in its design.

Very interesting.  Mine reverse mounts with no issues whatsoever.  I've had the lens for a good while, so some of that may simply be due to use and wear over time.  Still, I don't recall any great difficulties with either a regular or reverse mount during the time that I've owned it (and I purchased it new).  Might be due to tight tolerances affecting a smaller number of units perhaps.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more

jhorse wrote:

Thanks and I am glad that for you and others it is a non issue. I bought my 16-55 in Dec 19 and other than the hood it is a superb lens. My hood is just okay to mount, but it simply will not reverse mount. So much so that I am thinking of buying a third party screw in hood. Very disappointed in its design.

You do know that it reverse mounts at 90 degrees relative to how it forward mounts?

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +2 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 324

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

You do know that it reverse mounts at 90 degrees relative to how it forward mounts?

My thought as well. Line up the white line on the lens with the white dot to mount forwards, and line up the Fujifilm logo to mount backwards.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,099

Fuji lens hoods are not that good, any of them.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
John356 Regular Member • Posts: 163

I posted the following on another post regarding the issue - by very very difficult I mean I was concerned that I could damage the lens body. After the WD-40 PTFE my hood several months later is still Ok.

"My 16-55 lens hood developed over time to become very very difficult to take off, I could not figure the cause and even examined hood under a magnifying glass but could not see anything wrong. Eventually I bought a new hood from Fuji – not inexpensive at £16. This has now developed a very similar problem. Yes pencil lead does work but only for a while. Think, and it is early days, I have a solution – used WD-40 Anti Friction Dry PTFE. Sprayed it on the separated hood not the lens (! ) and let it dry. I can only guess root cause is galling between the anodised lens and plastic hood – quite odd."

-- hide signature --

John

John356's gear list:John356's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 +7 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,225

The lens hood on my 18-55 fits terribly.  It’s a struggle putting it on and taking it off. I may put a touch of DW40 on the hood. Can’t be any worse than it already is.

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,335

I don't have the lens (yet..) but as mentionned by others most lens hoods in the XF lens line are rather shoddy and can struggle to be fitted or stored. I found a way that has cured that very simply

Just poor 2 droplets of WD40 liquid on a paper hankerchief then carefully clean the lens bayonet and the hood bayonet make sure not to leave some liquid on gear

This makes the hood bayonet working smoothly

OTOH it has to be repeated at different period of time, when needed.

The WD40 is not agressive for plastic

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

jhorse wrote:

Hi Erik, yes, I am aware of the placement of the white dot for putting the hood on, which is stiff, but do-able, and that the large petal must be at the 12 O'clock position to start the reverse procedure. It is virtually impossible to place my hood in reverse for storage and I do not force it as I do not want to place undue strain on the lens mechanism. I am still of the view that this cannot be right.

-- hide signature --

baobob wrote:

I don't have the lens (yet..) but as mentionned by others most lens hoods in the XF lens line are rather shoddy and can struggle to be fitted or stored. I found a way that has cured that very simply

Just poor 2 droplets of WD40 liquid on a paper hankerchief then carefully clean the lens bayonet and the hood bayonet make sure not to leave some liquid on gear

This makes the hood bayonet working smoothly

OTOH it has to be repeated at different period of time, when needed.

The WD40 is not agressive for plastic

Hi, thanks. I might give this a go.

-- hide signature --

Hi John, thanks, very helpful - appreciated.

-- hide signature --

a_c_skinner wrote:

Fuji lens hoods are not that good, any of them.

I would like to agree with you, but the hood for my 100-400, which I bought two days ago, is well engineered, goes on and comes off easily, and has a small button to lock/unlock it. So, they can get it right.

-- hide signature --

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

I have absolutely no trouble with 16-55 hood whatsoever, easy on, easy off every time. Take a close look under magnification to see if a bit of plastic flashing that needs a trim. I do have a screw on hood that allows my X-T2 w/16-55 to fit in my Peak Design 3L sling bag, it protects the front element well, but doesn’t cast shade as well as the original.

Now the original hood for the 56mm is another matter...

Hi Erik,

Thanks. There is nothing obvious, but the mouldings are not smooth to touch. May be I take some sand paper to them.

If that fails (or the WD40 suggestion from others) I may look at the type of hood in your image, which I have seen on eBay.

-- hide signature --

jhorse wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

jhorse wrote:

Hi Erik, yes, I am aware of the placement of the white dot for putting the hood on, which is stiff, but do-able, and that the large petal must be at the 12 O'clock position to start the reverse procedure. It is virtually impossible to place my hood in reverse for storage and I do not force it as I do not want to place undue strain on the lens mechanism. I am still of the view that this cannot be right.

Obviously, somethings wrong, but it's not the design of the thing. Mine literally couldn't work any better - easy on and off (including reversed) with no play and a nice solid click when it's in position. Take a really close look under magnification, there must be some plastic flashing or something that's causing you grief. The original plastic hood for my 56mm is loose and crappy, but this one couldn't be better.

MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,225

I put a bit of DW40 on the hood.  Wiped it off with a paper towel, and now it works perfectly. 😊

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
FujiJon
FujiJon Regular Member • Posts: 247

No problem here, although mine is a Fuji refurbished lens (which looks and feels like new).  OTOH the hood on my XF55-200 was very tight initially, but eased with use.

Stick with it.

-- hide signature --

If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

FujiJon's gear list:FujiJon's gear list
Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads