Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,882
Re: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

tkbslc wrote:

Maximize R5/6 sales? Nobody is buying a super expensive camera just to stabilize a cheapo lens.

RP sales could use a boost. At least prior to the recent price change, it was apparently the worst selling R.

rrc1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,893

Jx9 wrote:

https://www.canonwatch.com/upcoming-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-lens-shows-up-at-certification-authority/

This is the lens I'm still waiting for. Based on the patent, it looks to be about 1.2" (vs the 40mm pancake that's 0.9"). I wonder if they're delaying it due to the loss in sales of the 50 1.2 that'll most definitely happen to some degree. I mean, I'd consider getting the 50 1.2 right now if there was no 1.8 pancake rumor.

it's not a pancake.

but it's small.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,118

Tazz93 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I wonder if they're delaying it due to the loss in sales of the 50 1.2 that'll most definitely happen to some degree. I mean, I'd consider getting the 50 1.2 right now if there was no 1.8 pancake rumor.

I think you might be the only person seriously cross shopping a ~$200 lens with a $2000+ lens. This is a non-issue.

I gave you a thumbs up on this, but honestly... my 50mm 1.8 STM stopped me from buying a the EF 50mm 1.2L. Mostly because I don't use the focal length very often, so "making do" was fine. So its not that far fetched, even if it is a little comical.

I think you not using the FL very often is the main driver here. I.e. if you had no 50, you'd probably go for the EF 50 STM because spending $2300 or w/e on a lens you rarely use doesn't make much sense. If the 50 STM didn't exist, you'd prob get an EF 50 1.4 or Sigma 50 ART/EX.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,288

justmeMN wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

https://www.canonwatch.com/this-is-the-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-the-nifty-fifty-for-the-eos-r/

Importantly, the rumor originated from the most reputable source of information.

Ohw boy, this picture just looks so cheap and bad.  After trying the AF of the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm i have no illusions this would focus any better......  It will likely be worse. Furthermore:  No IS....  no AF switch....

I'm only getting one if it has very good IQ at a very low price. Whereas the EF stm is only 120 euro, this one will easily cost a relatively whopping 300 euro not bringing much more to the table.

Very good IQ, 200 Euro, that might be tempting enough. Otherwise i'll stick with my Sigma Art.  It's nice to have something very portable at this focal length, but poor AF speed kills it. The RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm at least has some other features to make it probably worth to have it in the bag, but this one......  I'm not sure.

It's the problem of RF primes. You'll have either weak AF speed because of that budget stm motorizing or weak AF speed because of f/1.2 glass elements, so if you want fast AF you're forced to use zooms or adapt EF primes. With the 85mm focal length it's less of a problem because the EF 85mm f/1.4 IS USM is a relatively good option, but at the 50mm focal length there's not a whole lot you can do. It seams to me the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art remains the best option here, but really, it's a bit ironic you need such a bulky lens with still relatively large elements plus adapter to get fast AF at 50mm......  and there's still no ILIS.....

It's almost like Canon is inviting Sigma to come up with RF f/1.4 or f/1.8 fast HSM motorized primes.  Tamron still has to gets it's act together at least with some lenses and with in camera corrections as it comes to compatibility with the RF mount. The EF Tamron 45mm VC has ILIS, but that one doesn't focus fast either. Maybe a Samyang 45mm f/1.8 could come over to the RF mount to save us? That one has no ILIS, but at least it's compact and it's at least somewhat bigger to at least accommodate bigger motors.

As for now it looks more and more I need a Nikon to get a nice small high grade fast focusing 50mm lens.  Why is it so hard for Canon to understand the 50mm focal length needs three types of primes?

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +16 more
highdesertmesa
highdesertmesa Regular Member • Posts: 455

thunder storm wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

https://www.canonwatch.com/this-is-the-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-the-nifty-fifty-for-the-eos-r/

Importantly, the rumor originated from the most reputable source of information.

Ohw boy, this picture just looks so cheap and bad. After trying the AF of the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm i have no illusions this would focus any better...... It will likely be worse. Furthermore: No IS.... no AF switch....

I'm only getting one if it has very good IQ at a very low price. Whereas the EF stm is only 120 euro, this one will easily cost a relatively whopping 300 euro not bringing much more to the table.

Very good IQ, 200 Euro, that might be tempting enough. Otherwise i'll stick with my Sigma Art. It's nice to have something very portable at this focal length, but poor AF speed kills it. The RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm at least has some other features to make it probably worth to have it in the bag, but this one...... I'm not sure.

It's the problem of RF primes. You'll have either weak AF speed because of that budget stm motorizing or weak AF speed because of f/1.2 glass elements, so if you want fast AF you're forced to use zooms or adapt EF primes. With the 85mm focal length it's less of a problem because the EF 85mm f/1.4 IS USM is a relatively good option, but at the 50mm focal length there's not a whole lot you can do. It seams to me the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art remains the best option here, but really, it's a bit ironic you need such a bulky lens with still relatively large elements plus adapter to get fast AF at 50mm...... and there's still no ILIS.....

It's almost like Canon is inviting Sigma to come up with RF f/1.4 or f/1.8 fast HSM motorized primes. Tamron still has to gets it's act together at least with some lenses and with in camera corrections as it comes to compatibility with the RF mount. The EF Tamron 45mm VC has ILIS, but that one doesn't focus fast either. Maybe a Samyang 45mm f/1.8 could come over to the RF mount to save us? That one has no ILIS, but at least it's compact and it's at least somewhat bigger to at least accommodate bigger motors.

As for now it looks more and more I need a Nikon to get a nice small high grade fast focusing 50mm lens. Why is it so hard for Canon to understand the 50mm focal length needs three types of primes?

Canon will eventually fill out the f/1.4 line with the faster AF motors. Seems like they're targeting both ends of the spectrum before they do the middle.

Nigge Regular Member • Posts: 197

tkbslc wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

Wow it's tiny! But no IS it seems...

And no Macro. This cheapo lens is precursor to the next entry-level R body (along with that rumored slow standard zoom).

I don’t need either feature, but no IS means Canon is nudging people toward IBIS bodies. Or, could all of the future R’s perhaps have IBIS? Or is Canon just trying to maximize R5/R6 sales while they can.

I do hope this lens focuses faster than the new RF 85/2. Personally I’d rather be spending $600+ for a good 50/1.4 USM with ultra-quick AF.

Has anybody here used the RF 50/1.2L + R5 for fast-moving sports? Is the 50L’s AF fast enough?

R2

I am surprised people shoot sports with 50s................

I know some people that use 50 (or even 35) for hanging out behind the basket for basketball photos. And a lot of people shoot small school sports where getting courtside is never an issue.

As for the 50 1.8, it looks disappointingly like the awful nifty fifties we got on EF mount. Holding out hope that they worked some magic with coatings and newly designed elements as the 35 1.8 is small and (mostly) good. But I'm a little surprised. It looks shorter than the 35 which is odd considering the longer FL. We will see

It doesn't do macro or have IS which helps with size. Technically it would only need to have the front element about 50mm from the sensor. The mount is 20mm deeps, so lens could be 30mm-ish long (or just past an inch).

Or I guess it could extend when powered on, but I hope not. That makes for fragile lenses.

I'd like a 24-28mm this size as well to pair with it.

A 28-30 would be perfect. 24 is a bit wide for general use in travel. Hopefully slightly smaller. They could in worst case go all the way to 2.8 but perhaps something in between.

Nigge's gear list:Nigge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +6 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,579

highdesertmesa wrote:

Canon will eventually fill out the f/1.4 line with the faster AF motors. Seems like they're targeting both ends of the spectrum before they do the middle.

I wouldn't hold your breath.   There's not many examples of Canon doing 3 tiers in the past.

highdesertmesa wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

Ohw boy, this picture just looks so cheap and bad. After trying the AF of the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm i have no illusions this would focus any better...... It will likely be worse. Furthermore: No IS.... no AF switch....

Very good IQ, 200 Euro, that might be tempting enough. Otherwise i'll stick with my Sigma Art. It's nice to have something very portable at this focal length, but poor AF speed kills it. The RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm at least has some other features to make it probably worth to have it in the bag, but this one...... I'm not sure.

It's the problem of RF primes. You'll have either weak AF speed because of that budget stm motorizing or weak AF speed because of f/1.2 glass elements, so if you want fast AF you're forced to use zooms or adapt EF primes. With the 85mm focal length it's less of a problem because the EF 85mm f/1.4 IS USM is a relatively good option, but at the 50mm focal length there's not a whole lot you can do. It seams to me the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art remains the best option here, but really, it's a bit ironic you need such a bulky lens with still relatively large elements plus adapter to get fast AF at 50mm...... and there's still no ILIS.....

It's almost like Canon is inviting Sigma to come up with RF f/1.4 or f/1.8 fast HSM motorized primes. Tamron still has to gets it's act together at least with some lenses and with in camera corrections as it comes to compatibility with the RF mount. The EF Tamron 45mm VC has ILIS, but that one doesn't focus fast either. Maybe a Samyang 45mm f/1.8 could come over to the RF mount to save us? That one has no ILIS, but at least it's compact and it's at least somewhat bigger to at least accommodate bigger motors.

As for now it looks more and more I need a Nikon to get a nice small high grade fast focusing 50mm lens. Why is it so hard for Canon to understand the 50mm focal length needs three types of primes?

eventually is the same as eventually not.....

Well, i got me the EF 40mm f/2.8 stm for 70 euro last weak, so the compact walk around slow AF thing is already covered, with a very luxury AF switch included.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +16 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,118

highdesertmesa wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

Are you navastronia over on Canon Rumors? I feel like I just said why a set of F/1.4 lenses are unlikely.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +1 more
highdesertmesa
highdesertmesa Regular Member • Posts: 455

sportyaccordy wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

Are you navastronia over on Canon Rumors? I feel like I just said why a set of F/1.4 lenses are unlikely.

I have the same username there as here.

Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,629

sportyaccordy wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I wonder if they're delaying it due to the loss in sales of the 50 1.2 that'll most definitely happen to some degree. I mean, I'd consider getting the 50 1.2 right now if there was no 1.8 pancake rumor.

I think you might be the only person seriously cross shopping a ~$200 lens with a $2000+ lens. This is a non-issue.

I gave you a thumbs up on this, but honestly... my 50mm 1.8 STM stopped me from buying a the EF 50mm 1.2L. Mostly because I don't use the focal length very often, so "making do" was fine. So its not that far fetched, even if it is a little comical.

I think you not using the FL very often is the main driver here. I.e. if you had no 50, you'd probably go for the EF 50 STM because spending $2300 or w/e on a lens you rarely use doesn't make much sense. If the 50 STM didn't exist, you'd prob get an EF 50 1.4 or Sigma 50 ART/EX.

I'm a sharpness freak, so the ART would definitely been an option, but the focusing issues with some of the Art's put me off a little, as well I've never owned anything but Canon glass. But the single biggest issue is the EF 50mm 1.2 performance. When compared to the 1.8, it simply wasn't worth it especially at the STM's price. The 1.4 was never an option due to its performance.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more

Tazz93 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I'm a sharpness freak, so the ART would definitely been an option, but the focusing issues with some of the Art's put me off a little, as well I've never owned anything but Canon glass.

My two sigma Art lenses are focusing flawless on my R. In fact the 50mm f/1.4 Art is my best focusing lens, better than any Canon lens I own. Sometimes i wonder if tweakable lens firmware maybe is more important than the native brand.......

But the single biggest issue is the EF 50mm 1.2 performance. When compared to the 1.8, it simply wasn't worth it especially at the STM's price. The 1.4 was never an option due to its performance.

Yup, that one exists for no reason, as it isn't an option.    And that's why I'm afraid we won't see a good fast focusing 50mm f/1.4 lens from Canon.

-- hide signature --

Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,629

thunder storm wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I'm a sharpness freak, so the ART would definitely been an option, but the focusing issues with some of the Art's put me off a little, as well I've never owned anything but Canon glass.

My two sigma Art lenses are focusing flawless on my R. In fact the 50mm f/1.4 Art is my best focusing lens, better than any Canon lens I own. Sometimes i wonder if tweakable lens firmware maybe is more important than the native brand.......

But the single biggest issue is the EF 50mm 1.2 performance. When compared to the 1.8, it simply wasn't worth it especially at the STM's price. The 1.4 was never an option due to its performance.

Yup, that one exists for no reason, as it isn't an option. And that's why I'm afraid we won't see a good fast focusing 50mm f/1.4 lens from Canon.

I'm just happy to see Canon finally beat the performance of their $100 lens, the fact it took a $2300 lens and a new lens mount to do it is a little disconcerting but, at least they did it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more

-- hide signature --

ArtHeals
ArtHeals Regular Member • Posts: 174
  1. Jx9 wrote:

Any update on the RF 24/1.8 IS Macro STM?

This RF 50/1.8 is most likely the same lens as the EF 50/1.8 with native RF mount but will be 4 times more expensive than the EF version.

ArtHeals's gear list:ArtHeals's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,334

tkbslc wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

And no Macro. This cheapo lens is precursor to the next entry-level R body (along with that rumored slow standard zoom).

I don’t need either feature, but no IS means Canon is nudging people toward IBIS bodies. Or, could all of the future R’s perhaps have IBIS? Or is Canon just trying to maximize R5/R6 sales while they can.

I do hope this lens focuses faster than the new RF 85/2. Personally I’d rather be spending $600+ for a good 50/1.4 USM with ultra-quick AF.

Has anybody here used the RF 50/1.2L + R5 for fast-moving sports? Is the 50L’s AF fast enough?

R2

I am surprised people shoot sports with 50s................

I know some people that use 50 (or even 35) for hanging out behind the basket for basketball photos. And a lot of people shoot small school sports where getting courtside is never an issue.

+1 I use it a lot for indoor sports!  It's a very useful focal length when you have access.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS M6

PicPocket wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Or that it's simply one of their non-IS offerings. If it turns out as cheap as EF version, it would make sense. Even the 50 and 85 Ls don't have IS

Canon does EVERYTHING for a reason.  We all know that by now. 

R2

-- hide signature --

tkbslc wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

Maybe they realize that hardly any 50mm primes have stabilization and most people don't have a huge problem maintaining 1/60 shutter speeds with an f1.8 aperture available.

Don't have to stop at 1/60 though.  I value stabilization when it's needed.

Maximize R5/6 sales? Nobody is buying a super expensive camera just to stabilize a cheapo lens.

True, but not for just one lens. But for a whole list of non-IS lenses.

For the entire 30+ year history of the EOS SLR system, from 1987 to today, there was not single stabilized 50mm lens option. How did we manage?

Well maybe folks just managed to NOT get all the shots they could have over those 33 years. 

R2

-- hide signature --

gdvincentjr wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

R2

I haven't used mine for sports, but have used it to track little kids and dogs in the yard. It isn't as fast as the RF L zooms, but it is faster than the EF 50 STM and the EF 50 1.2L. (I've owned both in the past). It locks on quickly, but isn't as fast at tracking moving subjects. I always prefer to use something like the RF 70-200 for fast action.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  My 50 STM was OK for a cheapo lens.  Very well-behaved compared to its predecessors.

I'd definitely like something around f/1.4 for indoor sports (dim venues).  The R5 can focus so well that shooting at large apertures becomes quite normal. 

R2

-- hide signature --

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

It's becoming the problem of RF primes: no fast focusing options. It's either a budget stm or a too large elements L.

That's what I'm seeing too.  I'd really like a very fast 50 and a fast 85 for my sports (the RF 35 should be adequate).

R2

I recommend you watch the review of Christopher Frost for this, and no, it isn't very promising.

The more i think about it the more i'm starting to believe i've bought the best lens i could right away, and all i need is the R5 to get more sticky AF tracking.

Yeah, looks like your Sigma 50mm Art may be in my future. 

R2

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads