Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Jx9 Regular Member • Posts: 182
Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

https://www.canonwatch.com/upcoming-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-lens-shows-up-at-certification-authority/

This is the lens I'm still waiting for. Based on the patent, it looks to be about 1.2" (vs the 40mm pancake that's 0.9"). I wonder if they're delaying it due to the loss in sales of the 50 1.2 that'll most definitely happen to some degree. I mean, I'd consider getting the 50 1.2 right now if there was no 1.8 pancake rumor.

Jx9's gear list:Jx9's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II +15 more
highdesertmesa Regular Member • Posts: 241
Re: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

The pancake for the EF system was 40mm, and the RF system flange distance dictates it must be wider focal length to keep the same pancake size. Any new RF 50 won't be a pancake like the EF 40 (but it will certainly be smaller than the RF 50 f/1.2).

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,125

Jx9 wrote:

https://www.canonwatch.com/upcoming-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-lens-shows-up-at-certification-authority/

This is the lens I'm still waiting for. Based on the patent, it looks to be about 1.2" (vs the 40mm pancake that's 0.9"). I wonder if they're delaying it due to the loss in sales of the 50 1.2 that'll most definitely happen to some degree. I mean, I'd consider getting the 50 1.2 right now if there was no 1.8 pancake rumor.

You might be the only person where it's a coin toss as to whether they want a $2300 uber f1.2 prime or a cheap f1.8.

I don't see anything about a pancake. In theory, with the flange distance, it could be a little longer than 30mm in length, which is very small. But I'd expect it to be more like the RF 35mm in size or Sony's FE 50mm 1.8 in size.

(Actually just checked the link to the Patents and it describes a few configurations at around 60mm in length, so basically what I surmised above)

If you want a cheap 50mm today, the 50mm STM on the EF adapter is very light and compact and it's easy to find at $100.

OP Jx9 Regular Member • Posts: 182

tkbslc wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

You might be the only person where it's a coin toss as to whether they want a $2300 uber f1.2 prime or a cheap f1.8.

I don't see anything about a pancake. In theory, with the flange distance, it could be a little longer than 30mm in length, which is very small. But I'd expect it to be more like the RF 35mm in size or Sony's FE 50mm 1.8 in size.

(Actually just checked the link to the Patents and it describes a few configurations at around 60mm in length, so basically what I surmised above)

If you want a cheap 50mm today, the 50mm STM on the EF adapter is very light and compact and it's easy to find at $100.

I took a RF 50 1.2 patent and subtracted the length difference from the actual length to get the subtraction value. What is the actual subtraction from 58.55mm to get the length of the lens? Btw, I already have the nifty fifty. Works great at f2.8, but it's too noisy for family video work.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II +15 more

So no one knows the answer to this?

• total lens length 58.55

= ?

Canochrome Regular Member • Posts: 351

I don't see a pancake lens at 50 - probably a little longer than the 50/1.8 STM, but still shorter than that lens with the adapter.

I do wonder if they'll do a 50/1.4 at some point.

I also wonder if they'll do a pancake lens at whatever focal length its practical (35 mm, maybe).

-- hide signature --

Tom

Canochrome's gear list:Canochrome's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +20 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,711

I'm fine with a 50 the size of the new 35/1.8.

My only requirement is that it has to be sharp as h#ll.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
ArtHeals
ArtHeals Regular Member • Posts: 155
Re: Canon RF 24mm F1.8 or F2 IS Macro-ish

A RF 24mm f1.8 or f2 with IS and 1:2 macro capability would be nice

ArtHeals's gear list:ArtHeals's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro

Jx9 wrote:

= ?

It's been a long time since I was in college, but I think the math equation you are looking for is 58.55=58.55

ArtHeals wrote:

Would surely round out the kit nicely.

Although if I have 24 and 50, then I want a 135mm.   85mm is too close to 50.   So lets also ask for a compact 135mm f2.8 like the olden days.

24/50/135mm is a complete, travel the world setup.

tkbslc wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

= ?

It's been a long time since I was in college, but I think the math equation you are looking for is 58.55=58.55

Oh. You really don't know. You think it's the actual lens length.

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 5,647

tkbslc wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I'm hoping the f/1.8 will be expensive and value for money.  I don't see why you should be forced to lug around heavy lenses if you want high quality.

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more

Canochrome wrote:

I don't see a pancake lens at 50 - probably a little longer than the 50/1.8 STM, but still shorter than that lens with the adapter.

I do wonder if they'll do a 50/1.4 at some point.

Not from Canon, that's for sure.

I also wonder if they'll do a pancake lens at whatever focal length its practical (35 mm, maybe).

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more

R2D2 wrote:

R2

Sharp as h#ll, and no extreme vignetting please. Oh, and perfect round bokeh circles across the frame at f/2.0 or f/2.2 please without pronounced outer lining. I bit like the Samyang 85mm f/1.2 XP would be nice.   Oh, and no fringing of course.  3 stops of IS is enough. Canon can skip the other 5 if that will make a smaller design possible.   And i don't need a macro feature at 50mm too, so if skipping that too to make it more compact it's fine by me.

I think it should actually be a little bit bigger than the 35mm. Not too big of course, but it should be big enough to meet the other requirements, you know.....

-- hide signature --

tkbslc wrote:

ArtHeals wrote:

Would surely round out the kit nicely.

+2 And for me it wouldn’t even need macro capabilities since it would be my low light group photo lens.

Although if I have 24 and 50, then I want a 135mm. 85mm is too close to 50. So lets also ask for a compact 135mm f2.8 like the olden days.

24/50/135mm is a complete, travel the world setup.

A sweet trio for travel indeed.  Myself, I’ve got travel covered by a nice compact M system.

And since I’m not going to be picking up the big boy 85 f/1.2, I’m adding the RF 85 f/2 for portraits, and probably would skip a 135 (unless I just get the excellent existing EF 135 f/2).  I have the little 35 already, so it’d be nice to fill out the quartet with 24, 35, 50, and 85 mid-level primes.  Which is where Canon needs to go to prep the way for their (anticipated) lower tiers of RF bodies (to replace the Rebels, xxD, RP and original R).

R2

-- hide signature --

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

R2

Sharp as h#ll, and no extreme vignetting please. Oh, and perfect round bokeh circles across the frame at f/2.0 or f/2.2 please without pronounced outer lining. I bit like the Samyang 85mm f/1.2 XP would be nice. Oh, and no fringing of course. 3 stops of IS is enough. Canon can skip the other 5 if that will make a smaller design possible. And i don't need a macro feature at 50mm too, so if skipping that too to make it more compact it's fine by me.

I think it should actually be a little bit bigger than the 35mm. Not too big of course, but it should be big enough to meet the other requirements, you know.....

+1 Keep vignetting to a minimum since I’ll be using this as a general purpose lens and not just for portraits, plus this’ll help to keep the bokeh balls round!  

But reducing the fringing (c/a) with the inevitable aspherics is surely going to give us some onion ring bokeh, esp at this level of lens.

IS would be nice, but I’d get by with IBIS (R5).  However IS will be welcome for use on the lower tier bodies (at least for the time being).

Lastly, 1:2 macro would be very handy at this F/L (for me).

R2

-- hide signature --

R2D2 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

R2

Sharp as h#ll, and no extreme vignetting please. Oh, and perfect round bokeh circles across the frame at f/2.0 or f/2.2 please without pronounced outer lining. I bit like the Samyang 85mm f/1.2 XP would be nice. Oh, and no fringing of course. 3 stops of IS is enough. Canon can skip the other 5 if that will make a smaller design possible. And i don't need a macro feature at 50mm too, so if skipping that too to make it more compact it's fine by me.

+1 Keep vignetting to a minimum since I’ll be using this as a general purpose lens and not just for portraits, plus this’ll help to keep the bokeh balls round!

But reducing the fringing (c/a) with the inevitable aspherics is surely going to give us some onion ring bokeh, esp at this level of lens.

Oh boy, i want best of both worlds.    But if i have to choose: no onion rings please.

IS would be nice, but I’d get by with IBIS (R5). However IS will be welcome for use on the lower tier bodies (at least for the time being).

You have to wait for your R5, but i will have to wait about 2 years more to save up for it, so having a bit of IS in the mean time won't hurt.  I also think the quality of ILIS+IBIS might still be better than IBIS alone, while at 45Mp the bar is set high for your IS system.

O.k.  Well, i wouldn't mind if it's there. But isn't it a bit redundant to have this in the 50mm if you have it already in both the 35mm and 85mm?  The 35mm to include a lot of background, the 85mm to exclude a lot of background?

R2

-- hide signature --

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

R2

Oh boy, i want best of both worlds. But if i have to choose: no onion rings please.

IS would be nice, but I’d get by with IBIS (R5). However IS will be welcome for use on the lower tier bodies (at least for the time being).

You have to wait for your R5, but i will have to wait about 2 years more to save up for it, so having a bit of IS in the mean time won't hurt. I also think the quality of ILIS+IBIS might still be better than IBIS alone, while at 45Mp the bar is set high for your IS system.

Well I’m hoping it’s going to last me 5 years, so I figured get the inevitable over with and buy it now. But seeing how “quickly” the R5’s are shipping, we might be getting ours at the same time!

O.k. Well, i wouldn't mind if it's there. But isn't it a bit redundant to have this in the 50mm if you have it already in both the 35mm and 85mm? The 35mm to include a lot of background, the 85mm to exclude a lot of background?

Well for serious (targeted) macro I slap on the 100L and my lighting outfits. But with these other lenses the 1:2 will just be for (close-up) photos of opportunity. By including this capability I think Canon wants to make these lenses as appealing to enthusiasts as possible.

R2

-- hide signature --

R2D2 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

R2

Oh boy, i want best of both worlds. But if i have to choose: no onion rings please.

You have to wait for your R5, but i will have to wait about 2 years more to save up for it, so having a bit of IS in the mean time won't hurt. I also think the quality of ILIS+IBIS might still be better than IBIS alone, while at 45Mp the bar is set high for your IS system.

Well I’m hoping it’s going to last me 5 years, so I figured get the inevitable over with and buy it now. But seeing how “quickly” the R5’s are shipping, we might be getting ours at the same time!

I hope you're getting your R5 really soon. I'm reading lines about the M6mkII "beating the snot out of the 7DII"etc., and the arrival of your R5 might neutralize testimonies like this a little ;).  It's like a sailor seeing mermaids: it's time to look your true love in the eyes. 

O.k. Well, i wouldn't mind if it's there. But isn't it a bit redundant to have this in the 50mm if you have it already in both the 35mm and 85mm? The 35mm to include a lot of background, the 85mm to exclude a lot of background?

Well for serious (targeted) macro I slap on the 100L and my lighting outfits. But with these other lenses the 1:2 will just be for (close-up) photos of opportunity. By including this capability I think Canon wants to make these lenses as appealing to enthusiasts as possible.

R2

At 50mm somewhere around 0.20 to 0.25ish would be enough for me. But Canon will put 0.50 in that 50mm, that's for sure.

The magnification factor of the 105mm Art is a pain. 0.12 is not enough.

-- hide signature --

Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Have had my R5 for a couple of days now and will mainly use it for my EF 500/4 IS II. Will keep my Sony A7III for use with adapted Leica-lenses and Zeiss 55/1.8 Sony FE 35/1.8 and the new Tamron 17-28/2.8 (a really great lens).

Will it ever be possible to buy compact, light, high IQ-lenses as above to the R5??

(and no IS please, will make it bigger-havier-expensier. The new R cameras = IBIS)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads