G9 remote heat.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jonno35 Contributing Member • Posts: 706
G9 remote heat.

Hi, just a point of interest. I have a new smart phone that I have put the panny image app onto and have paired my G9 to it. So far so good, however what I found was the G9 heated up quite quickly, it seems that it was caused by me having AFC selected. I changed to AFS ,no problem it stayed cool. ..I expect most of you have figured this out already but it may be useful to some, I wish I had known.

jonno35's gear list:jonno35's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lescrane Contributing Member • Posts: 712
Re: G9 remote heat.

Video or still?

never happened to me shooting stills in High speed mode or any other mode.

Do you think that having the remote on caused it?

lescrane's gear list:lescrane's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,641

the only thing i've heard to cause overheating is prolonged use of 4k pre-burst (buffering)

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

OP jonno35 Contributing Member • Posts: 706

Yes it was stills, I had just paired it and was playing with my phones  remote settings with the g9 sitting on my table not on a tripod, changing F Nos etc taking a few shots, when I had to leave it for several minutes, when I came back the G9 was pretty  warm so I switched to AFS. Then it cooled right down ?

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II +3 more
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,109
Try setting...

The AFC to activate on 'half press' of the shutter, instead of always on.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Ken Yull
Ken Yull Senior Member • Posts: 2,359

Have you checked the battery, I found this happening when I had a G9 and found it was battery overheating not the camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheers. Ken.

Ken Yull's gear list:Ken Yull's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic G85 Panasonic G90 +2 more
Re: Try setting...

Adrian Harris wrote:

I have it set to Mode 1 in video mode, is that what you mean? I cant find a setting for AFC half press activation in any other setting, maybe I'm missing something but I've searched the manual.

Ken Yull wrote:

Have you checked the battery, I found this happening when I had a G9 and found it was battery overheating not the camera.

I think it probably is coming from around the battery but it's a genuine Panny battery.

I'm also thinking it might have been caused by having OIS ON in a static situation plus AFC ?

lescrane wrote:

Video or still?

Maybe ? I've not used the remote before. The only time the camera over heated before was when I put it in my holster bag after it had gone to sleep , the angle of the shutter button allowed it to get pressed by contact with the bag so it was then live in my bag.

lescrane Contributing Member • Posts: 712

jonno35 wrote:

lescrane wrote:

Video or still?

Maybe ? I've not used the remote before. The only time the camera over heated before was when I put it in my holster bag after it had gone to sleep , the angle of the shutter button allowed it to get pressed by contact with the bag so it was then live in my bag.

Something, as others mention, must have been "on" and in a repetitive mode.(not just the power. I doesn't matter what your setting are unless something is being actuated..  Now that I think of it, I once packed the camera and something was pressing the shutter release, camera got very hot, and I had a zillion frames on my card.    Short of that, or intentional prolonged 4K, 6k or video,, you should'nt get hot camera or battery.

lescrane's gear list:lescrane's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,109

jonno35 wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

I have it set to Mode 1 in video mode, is that what you mean? I cant find a setting for AFC half press activation in any other setting, maybe I'm missing something but I've searched the manual.

I haven't got the camera in front of me at the moment, but many m43 cameras give these options:

Continuous AFC + tracking ON.  ... Or only from Half Press of shutter.

Also stabilisation continuous ON, ... Or only from Half Press shutter.

Both of which when continuously ON will eat battery power and heat the camera.

Also a high EVF refresh rate will work the battery hard.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more

Adrian Harris wrote:

jonno35 wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

I haven't got the camera in front of me at the moment, but many m43 cameras give these options:

Continuous AFC + tracking ON. ... Or only from Half Press of shutter.

Also stabilisation continuous ON, ... Or only from Half Press shutter.

Both of which when continuously ON will eat battery power and heat the camera.

Also a high EVF refresh rate will work the battery hard.

It seems that AFC only comes in when I hold the SB down halfway but OIS is running non stop unless I switch it off at the lens, I cant see any option to change this in the manual but maybe I'm missing something.  I know there are 2 video settings but not for stills, I'm pretty sure this is what is heating the camera up.Maybe something to do with dual I S because my FZ1000 doesnt heat up.When I say heat up I dont mean hot just noticeably warm.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads