Birds: Lawyer in a Poorly Focused Chromathon!

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Birds: Lawyer in a Poorly Focused Chromathon!

I don't have anything longer than 60mm except my $99 "plastic [not so] fantastic" 40-150. I've never really tried avian photography before but would like to get some decent shots (unlike these) when the opportunity arises.

I used C-AF+TR. In retrospect, since the Turkey Lawyer refused to fly despite my pleas. Would S-AF have done better? MF, Peaking or Magnify or both?

I exposed for the lawyer, dressed in dark suits against a bright cloudy sky (some meteorologists say it is smoke remnants from CA in Northern VA). Was +2 and +2.5 EV too much and encouraged the chroma?

I'm not great at judging distance but I would say I was about 35+ meters away.

Not flying, just flapping wings

Sitting still an bad AF, what gives?

I wouldn't want a lower exposure

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,498
Re: Birds: Lawyer in a Poorly Focused Chromathon!

Bassam Guy wrote:

I don't have anything longer than 60mm except my $99 "plastic [not so] fantastic" 40-150. I've never really tried avian photography before but would like to get some decent shots (unlike these) when the opportunity arises.

I used C-AF+TR. In retrospect, since the Turkey Lawyer refused to fly despite my pleas. Would S-AF have done better? MF, Peaking or Magnify or both?

I exposed for the lawyer, dressed in dark suits against a bright cloudy sky (some meteorologists say it is smoke remnants from CA in Northern VA). Was +2 and +2.5 EV too much and encouraged the chroma?

Pretty intense purple fringing. Lightroom has an effective one-click remover and I'm sure other software has, too. That should not be hard to control.

Never use C-AF+tr myself, preferring standard C-AF or S-AF. In this instance, S-AF is fine because your attorney isn't going anywhere until you pay your bill [get it?] and S-AF+magnify will allow you to tweak focus. Plus, you want to stop down the lens a bit and it will sharpen; also, raise shutter speed to freeze the flapping about (you're below ISO200). It's a good lens within its realm but the 40-150 Pro is leagues better. As it should be at 10X the price.

Plastic 40-150+cooperative deer

Keep experimenting!

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

OP Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,003

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

Pretty intense purple fringing. Lightroom has an effective one-click remover and I'm sure other software has, too. That should not be hard to control.

I know how to do that. I own the Panasonic 7-14 4

Never use C-AF+tr myself, preferring standard C-AF or S-AF. In this instance, S-AF is fine because your attorney isn't going anywhere until you pay your bill [get it?] and S-AF+magnify will allow you to tweak focus. Plus, you want to stop down the lens a bit and it will sharpen;

Except for the 7-14, I have nothing else above f2.8. 5.6 seems stopped down. I'll watch it.

I tried magnify but it was too shaky at the long FL. I'll try a lower scale factor.

also, raise shutter speed to freeze the flapping about (you're below ISO200). It's a good lens within its realm but the 40-150 Pro is leagues better. As it should be at 10X the price.

Some birding test from petapixel or fstoppers or such rated the E-M5 III pretty well for C-AF+TR. I don't use it often. That location is a 5 minute walk from my home. Perhaps I'll try again.

Keep experimenting!

Rick

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 2,407

Hard to judge from these thumbnails, but unless you get a bum copy, results with the 40-150, even wide open, should be nice and sharp. Or did you crop them down to 100%? Being too far away from the subject is usually a detail killer.

For things like these S-AF with a small target should give you better results.

Nervous critter. Wide open - look at that feather detail!

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more

Lichtspiel wrote:

Hard to judge from these thumbnails, but unless you get a bum copy, results with the 40-150, even wide open, should be nice and sharp. Or did you crop them down to 100%? Being too far is usually a detail killer.

For things like these S-AF with a small target should give you better results.

Yes, these are cropped.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ruairi
Ruairi Senior Member • Posts: 1,111

Bassam Guy wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

I know how to do that. I own the Panasonic 7-14 4

Never use C-AF+tr myself, preferring standard C-AF or S-AF. In this instance, S-AF is fine because your attorney isn't going anywhere until you pay your bill [get it?] and S-AF+magnify will allow you to tweak focus. Plus, you want to stop down the lens a bit and it will sharpen;

Except for the 7-14, I have nothing else above f2.8. 5.6 seems stopped down. I'll watch it.

I tried magnify but it was too shaky at the long FL. I'll try a lower scale factor.

also, raise shutter speed to freeze the flapping about (you're below ISO200). It's a good lens within its realm but the 40-150 Pro is leagues better. As it should be at 10X the price.

Some birding test from petapixel or fstoppers or such rated the E-M5 III pretty well for C-AF+TR. I don't use it often. That location is a 5 minute walk from my home. Perhaps I'll try again.

Keep experimenting!

Rick

Thanks for your helpful reply.

From what I've seen, Skeeter is right.  Use C-AF for moving subjects, like with a DSLR.

C-AF+TR on Olympus is best used for recomposing shots within the frame.  5x5 or 9x9 C-AF on burst low is a good bet for moving subjects/BIF.

-- hide signature --
 Ruairi's gear list:Ruairi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +14 more
JustGeorge Regular Member • Posts: 311

I'm guessing I'm the only one here who has no clue as to what a Turkey Lawyer is.  Yeah, I googled it, no help.  So?

JustGeorge's gear list:JustGeorge's gear list
Nikon D7200 Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +2 more

JustGeorge wrote:

I'm guessing I'm the only one here who has no clue as to what a Turkey Lawyer is. Yeah, I googled it, no help. So?

Lawyers are vultures

Turkey vulture is the species.

JustGeorge Regular Member • Posts: 311

Bassam Guy wrote:

JustGeorge wrote:

I'm guessing I'm the only one here who has no clue as to what a Turkey Lawyer is. Yeah, I googled it, no help. So?

Lawyers are vultures

Turkey vulture is the species.

I almost asked if that is what it really was, but was about 99% sure I'd be shot down.    And certainly didn't want to offend any rel lawyers!  Ya just never know.

Back on topic:  I usually stick w/ the Pan 14-140, but I take out the 40-150 often, just because (bought mine new from B&H for $59 on sale and with store credit!).  I've talked at least 2 friends into buying one, and they're still friends!  But, they both have PEN-Fs also.  (Sorry, had to say it.)

JustGeorge's gear list:JustGeorge's gear list
Nikon D7200 Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +2 more
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,553

Nice captures of that "lawyer", definitely not very sharp. Part of it is the lens, and there could be some motion blurr on top of that. Two things are needed, a tripod and $$$ (to buy a pro lens), the later being a given for lawyers

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,593

You are too far away for good feather detail if these are not downsized crops.  For good detail, you need more pixels on the target.  Shooting into a bright sky is unlikely to give a great shot, you need to increase exposure, but don't overexpose too much.  You can raise darker areas in PP.

In general use either CAF or SAF for a stationary target using a single focus point on the area where you want the best focus.

You can use CAF+TR for a stationary target if you don't want to move the focus point from the center.   Use the single center focus point, place that on the area where you want the best focus, half press the shutter button and while half pressing the shutter button, recompose the shot before exposure.

For the two images where the bird is moving, you need a higher shutter speed.  If the bird is moving, treat it like a BIF.  If it is stationary, then the slowest shutter speed you can use is determined by your camera/lens and your ability to hand hold it without camera/lens movement blur.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,593

rogerstpierre wrote:

Nice captures of that "lawyer", definitely not very sharp. Part of it is the lens, and there could be some motion blurr on top of that. Two things are needed, a tripod and $$$ (to buy a pro lens), the later being a given for lawyers

You don't need a tripod with those focal lengths and shutter speed.  The shutter speed is too low for the two images where the bird is moving, but a tripod would not have solved that problem.  For the image where the bird is stationary, 1/250 is more than sufficient for a Turkey vulture, if the bird is close enough and focused.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads