Emergency

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,349
Re: Emergency

epozar wrote:

Maxegb wrote:

it's called "second battery pack". it weighs next to nothing, does wonder for mirrorless cameras and with the help of a little steel wool can also start a fire in a real emergency.

LOL :))))
I have quite a few batteries but that's not the point. The camera is always in "max speed" mode for no real reason.

Smart phones have it (called "power management") why not cameras too?

Actually it would be easy on many of the m43 cameras to set it up for really low power and save that setting to a memory to be recalled, or used when power is getting low:

Example: lowest EVF refresh rate, AFS, no high res, no bracketing, no GPS, no WiFi, no stabilisation, etc.

It would be up to the user to keep an eye on the power drain.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,411

I've come to the conclusion that to get the best performance out of these cameras you have to take lots of pictures.  One day this week I switched on my G9 at 1015 with one bar, had to swap after an hour and then switched off finally at 1530 with one bar.  I took 2600 pictutes on effectively a single battery.  EVF or LCD permanently on, Some chimping, battery saving on but rarely comes on because the camera is in constant use, switched off for two minutes here and there while I had a drink and a snack.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Gnine Senior Member • Posts: 2,523
Re: Hmm...

Jouko wrote:

My settings with Em1.2 - usually A, manual iso, SAF or CAF, silent shutter etc, evf or screen, and sleep time 5min(?) will usually give me some 1500-2000 shots / 1 battery in normal conditions (temperatures over freezing point). With flying birds etc that means usually 4-8 hours shooting, about never shutting of the camera.

In colder temperatures (well below freezing point) 1 battery usually lasts 2-4 hours, what ever I do. But the spare in a warm pocket helps a lot, and the frozen battery also works fine after it has warmed up again.

With macro work (focus stacking), HDR and HR-shots the batteries dry out faster, but again , I have never had a need for third battery in one day - although I have a couple more.

Fortunately these batteries are not too large, heavy or cost too much to have some spares with always.

But - I usually just check the results for a couple of shots after first images, just to make needed adjustments. I never delete files in camera - there is a delete button on my keyboard for that.

Have a nice day!

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
https://www.instagram.com/jouko.k.lehto/
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/ - Lenses for mFT-cameras
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/2015/12/what-to-dowith-camera-during-winter.html

Pretty sure you'd find that if you left the camera on for the same length of time, & only took one or two shots, the battery usage would have been the same.  It seems to be on time, rather than shots taken, that uses battery power

Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 5,656
Emergency Configuration

The great configutabilityy of M43 cameras lets you handle these situations:

1) Unexpect Photo Opportunity

• I typically configure Custom Mode 1 for "gotta get the shot" using the "F4 and be there " rule of thumb, auto exposure and ISO, and low burst rate.
  • I often reserve the last custom mode to save the latest settings

2) Short on Battery Power

•  Panasonic cameras have an economy mode. Not sure about Olympus. I typically have it enabled. When I discover that I will be short of battery power I set the Econo mode settings to minimum.
  • Set the camera to use only the EVF or the LCD monitor, at the lowest illumination that is useable
  • The LCD Monitor typically has an Auto illuminance, and a low and a high setting.

On the one occassion that I forgot my battery charger at home, I was on  a 3 day excursion and had only one and a half batteries to last me 3 days of shooting.  I configured the LCD monitor to off, no chimping, set all the econo settings to minimum. I made it through to the end of the trip with just a little power left.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric
(Any image that I post in a DPR forum may be editted and posted in a DPR forum)

Eric Nepean's gear list:Eric Nepean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +58 more
OP epozar Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

exactly!

-- hide signature --
 epozar's gear list:epozar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,454

Adrian Harris wrote:

Example: lowest EVF refresh rate, AFS, no high res, no bracketing, no GPS, no WiFi, no stabilisation, etc.

Which m4/3 cameras have GPS?  I didn't even know that was an option.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Ruairi
Ruairi Senior Member • Posts: 1,281
Why not?

epozar wrote:

I wish mft cameras have an "emergency" mode.

Very low ecf/lcd resolution, most fancy features disabled.. just the bare essentials.

When in open, in mountains, what you only need is "that few extra shots" and nothing else.

Good idea.  Something you could set to automatically kick in if you get less than X% battery.  Disables sensor cleaning, rear lcd etc.  Gives you a list of heavy power consumption features to disable and shows their impact on battery life like in a laptop or phone as you say.

Would be useful if a spare battery or a usb charger fail or are forgotten/lost.

-- hide signature --
 Ruairi's gear list:Ruairi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +14 more
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,349

Mark Ransom wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

Which m4/3 cameras have GPS? I didn't even know that was an option.

I assumed some did, I definitely have owned some cameras with GPS, but turning it off is the first thing I do when setting a new camera up - including on my phone.

Apologies if no m43 do.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads