Emergency

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
epozar Senior Member • Posts: 1,320
Emergency

I wish mft cameras have an "emergency" mode.

Very low ecf/lcd resolution, most fancy features disabled.. just the bare essentials.

When in open, in mountains, what you only need is "that few extra shots" and nothing else.

-- hide signature --
 epozar's gear list:epozar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more
Maxegb Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Emergency

it's called "second battery pack". it weighs next to nothing, does wonder for mirrorless cameras  and with the help of a little steel wool can also start a fire in a real emergency.

kalisti Regular Member • Posts: 236

panasonic and olympus both have an auto sleep using the eye sensor (I'm sure you know that) I find its great when out walking, usually I come back after a couple of hours with the same out of four battery bars XD

agreed that would be a great feature to implement though! maybe with a custom mode we can come up with some version of your idea?

my G9 is going to get a red eco custom mode I can see it now

kalisti's gear list:kalisti's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4 II Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,699

I hate to imagine how you would tackle a camping safari in Botswana. No offence but usually I bring a spare battery if I believed to be taking more than a hundred photos.

Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,371

C Sean wrote:

I hate to imagine how you would tackle a camping safari in Botswana. No offence but usually I bring a spare battery if I believed to be taking more than a hundred photos.

I've got a solar cell for camping with a USB plug.  As long as I can charge the battery from USB I'm set.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,087

epozar wrote:

Very low ecf/lcd resolution, most fancy features disabled.. just the bare essentials.

When in open, in mountains, what you only need is "that few extra shots" and nothing else.

If you look at what uses power, then disable the rear screen, use only 1 card slot, capture only RAW and shoot MF or at worst SAF.  Don’t enable prefocus.

Enable sleep after a short period.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
OP epozar Senior Member • Posts: 1,320

ahaslett wrote:

epozar wrote:

If you look at what uses power, then disable the rear screen, use only 1 card slot, capture only RAW and shoot MF or at worst SAF. Don’t enable prefocus.

Rear screen uses more battery btw

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more

Maxegb wrote:

it's called "second battery pack". it weighs next to nothing, does wonder for mirrorless cameras and with the help of a little steel wool can also start a fire in a real emergency.

LOL :))))
I have quite a few batteries but that's not the point. The camera is always in "max speed" mode for no real reason.

Smart phones have it (called "power management") why not cameras too?

-- hide signature --

Mark Ransom wrote:

C Sean wrote:

I've got a solar cell for camping with a USB plug. As long as I can charge the battery from USB I'm set.

I have it too. But it requires a strong sun to be effective.

-- hide signature --
ahaslett

epozar wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

epozar wrote:

If you look at what uses power, then disable the rear screen, use only 1 card slot, capture only RAW and shoot MF or at worst SAF. Don’t enable prefocus.

That’s why it’s first in my list.

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,212

epozar wrote:

Maxegb wrote:

it's called "second battery pack". it weighs next to nothing, does wonder for mirrorless cameras and with the help of a little steel wool can also start a fire in a real emergency.

I have quite a few batteries but that's not the point. The camera is always in "max speed" mode for no real reason.

My power management is by means of take a shot and immediately turn off the camera. No bursts, no brackets, no chimping, very rarely some very short video clips and no mucking about deleting shots.

Simply turn on - click - turn off. That way the approximately 2 hours of so of powered on time does last a long time into the day.

E-P5 in my case and on the very busiest days when on holidays have only managed to use about 1.5 batteries. Never ever had to use the second spare.

Recharge each night and start again next day.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
ahaslett

Guy Parsons wrote:

epozar wrote:

Maxegb wrote:

My power management is by means of take a shot and immediately turn off the camera. No bursts, no brackets, no chimping, very rarely some very short video clips and no mucking about deleting shots.

Simply turn on - click - turn off. That way the approximately 2 hours of so of powered on time does last a long time into the day.

E-P5 in my case and on the very busiest days when on holidays have only managed to use about 1.5 batteries. Never ever had to use the second spare.

Recharge each night and start again next day.

My wife thinks my brain operates the same way...

-- hide signature --

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,212

ahaslett wrote:

epozar wrote:

Andrew

With many camera the EVF will drain more power than the rear screen, so better advice may be to disable the EVF and rely on the screen.

That's what I do with my EVF-less Oly E-P5. I do have a VF-2 but have not needed to use it now for years, so it stays at home.

If screen glare is a real problem then there's always a solution.....

In those days Oly E-PL5 plus Panasonic 45-150mm shown there.

Glare off those lakeside pebbles made the screen unseeable. That is in fact the only time I needed to do that some years back, since then hand or hat shading of screen does the trick.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
ahaslett

Guy Parsons wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

epozar wrote:

Andrew

With many camera the EVF will drain more power than the rear screen, so better advice may be to disable the EVF and rely on the screen.

That's what I do with my EVF-less Oly E-P5. I do have a VF-2 but have not needed to use it now for years, so it stays at home.

If screen glare is a real problem then there's always a solution.....

In those days Oly E-PL5 plus Panasonic 45-150mm shown there.

Glare off those lakeside pebbles made the screen unseeable. That is in fact the only time I needed to do that some years back, since then hand or hat shading of screen does the trick.

I’d prefer to just switch the camera off.

I have 3 bodies without an EVF, so your technique has appeal but it tends to be sunny in the U.K. when it’s too hot to carry a jacket.

You are reviving a familiar approach.

I’ll have to carry a lightweight black shopping bag with a stuffsack.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,261

epozar wrote:

I use mostly P Mode by day on my E-M10 II. Never lets me down. That is my 'Emergency' setting when Sandra asks me for a panic job for emailing 15 minutes before she asked.

There is also iAUTO on the Mode dial. Since I never use it, I have overwritten it with my night video on a tripod setting.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - E-M10 Mark II, SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
Pov2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,078

People carry cell phones for emergencies and they can take pictures...

Gnine Senior Member • Posts: 2,105

The G9 has an "economy" setting. It puts the camera to sleep, after 10, 5, 3, 2 or 1 second of inactivity (user configurable) Pretty much instant wake up with a press of the shutter button. Mirrorless battery life is mostly determined by on time.

acfo Contributing Member • Posts: 895

ahaslett wrote:

epozar wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

epozar wrote:

I was wondering how much more pictures you lot must be taking to go through a battery in a couple of hours. As I don't ever use the rear screen - I cannot focus on it without reading glasses - on a typical holiday I usually get two days out of a battery before I need to put in the spare. My usage includes immediately deleting the duds in camera.

acfo's gear list:acfo's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
ahaslett

acfo wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

epozar wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

epozar wrote:

I was wondering how much more pictures you lot must be taking to go through a battery in a couple of hours. As I don't ever use the rear screen - I cannot focus on it without reading glasses - on a typical holiday I usually get two days out of a battery before I need to put in the spare. My usage includes immediately deleting the duds in camera.

I don’t have a problem with battery life either.

-- hide signature --

Jouko Senior Member • Posts: 1,764
Hmm...

My settings with Em1.2 - usually A, manual iso, SAF or CAF, silent shutter etc, evf or screen, and sleep time 5min(?) will usually give me some 1500-2000  shots / 1 battery in normal conditions (temperatures over freezing point). With flying birds etc that means usually 4-8 hours shooting, about never shutting of the camera.

In colder temperatures (well below freezing point) 1 battery usually lasts 2-4 hours, what ever I do. But the spare in a warm pocket helps a lot, and the frozen battery also works fine after it has warmed up again.

With macro work (focus stacking), HDR and HR-shots the batteries dry out faster, but again , I have never had a need for third battery in one day - although I have a couple more.

Fortunately these batteries are not too large, heavy or cost too much to have some spares with always.

But - I usually just check the results for a couple of shots after first images, just to make needed adjustments. I never delete files in camera - there is a delete button on my keyboard for that.

Have a nice day!

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
https://www.instagram.com/jouko.k.lehto/
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/ - Lenses for mFT-cameras
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/2015/12/what-to-dowith-camera-during-winter.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads