A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,566
A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

So I've had a chance to play more with the R5. I will say that I am very happy with it and there's no going back, but I'm not ditching my Sony A7RIV just yet. Well for one thing there are just a few niggly things that I think Canon should have addressed in a prosumer-level camera that are in the latest Sony cameras, and I'm not talking about anything related to heat or temperature. Here is a small list and hopefully these things will be added in a future firmware update:

1. Inability to set AF memory point (AF point registration). I mean WTH? This has been in every Canon and for some reason its missing in this one... On a related note, not being able to set AF registration pt obv means you can't toggle to it too, and that's a real shame.

2. Inability to save camera settings for import/export. Canon does have C1-C3 modes, but if you want to set up a second/third camera or the day you upgrade to the R5 Mark II, you won't be able to export settings for import later. Many other camera mfgs have implemented this rather simple feature, no reason Canon cannot...

3. No ability to toggle between AUTO and Initial AF point. Right now you can sorta go around this by using the Single Shot vs Servo trick, but ideally you should be able to without a workaround.

4. It looks like they got rid of lens focusing microadjustments. I'm not sure that's such a great idea honestly...

5. No ability to toggle camera settings for different scenes. For example, on the Sony you can program a button to instantly bring up f/8 1/500 infinity focus continuous AF bust, or just about any other combination of settings, which is great for street photography or any "oh s!@#" situation where you just need to bring up default settings. Closest in Canon is to use an AUTO mode, but that's not really the same thing.

6. Not fantastic implementation of the dials. The only way you can set up custom dials is for manual mode, and in that particular case, you have 4 dials (including the one on the RF lens) for 3 functions - because, WTH do you need exposure compensation dial for in manual???  This part of the whole thing boggles my mind - you might find a use for the exposure compensation dial in any mode other than manual but the custom settings default to manual mode. If you weren't in manual anyway, your rear wheel is exposure compensation and you have 4 dials for 2 functions...

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
User6100568601 Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: A few things missing from the R5 (maybe in future firmware?)

4 - No need microadjustments for mirrorless

5 - Register/recall shooting func (Customize buttons) ?

6 - I don't understand what you want but exposure compensation dial is need for M mode with Auto ISO

User6100568601's gear list:User6100568601's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
PMUK
PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

Hi MinAZ,

MinAZ wrote:

So I've had a chance to play more with the R5. I will say that I am very happy with it and there's no going back, but I'm not ditching my Sony A7RIV just yet. Well for one thing there are just a few niggly things that I think Canon should have addressed in a prosumer-level camera that are in the latest Sony cameras, and I'm not talking about anything related to heat or temperature. Here is a small list and hopefully these things will be added in a future firmware update:

1. Inability to set AF memory point (AF point registration). I mean WTH? This has been in every Canon and for some reason its missing in this one... On a related note, not being able to set AF registration pt obv means you can't toggle to it too, and that's a real shame.

This isn't an issue (for me, although I fully accept it is for some).

2. Inability to save camera settings for import/export. Canon does have C1-C3 modes, but if you want to set up a second/third camera or the day you upgrade to the R5 Mark II, you won't be able to export settings for import later. Many other camera mfgs have implemented this rather simple feature, no reason Canon cannot...

Totally agree the ability to back-up (and transfer) camera settings should be provided. (I'd like this on my Sony too, although with that I can save some MR settings to an SD card).

3. No ability to toggle between AUTO and Initial AF point. Right now you can sorta go around this by using the Single Shot vs Servo trick, but ideally you should be able to without a workaround.

Not a big issue (for me, maybe more so for some), but as you say, there is a workaround.

4. It looks like they got rid of lens focusing microadjustments. I'm not sure that's such a great idea honestly...

I wasn't aware micro adjustment was necessary (or even do-able) with mirrorless systems?

5. No ability to toggle camera settings for different scenes. For example, on the Sony you can program a button to instantly bring up f/8 1/500 infinity focus continuous AF bust, or just about any other combination of settings, which is great for street photography or any "oh s!@#" situation where you just need to bring up default settings. Closest in Canon is to use an AUTO mode, but that's not really the same thing.

I have my M-Fn button set up to cycle Current-C1-C2-C3 Modes and this works for me. (My Sony does allow for a 'recall of settings button' and this has occasionally proved useful).

6. Not fantastic implementation of the dials. The only way you can set up custom dials is for manual mode, and in that particular case, you have 4 dials (including the one on the RF lens) for 3 functions - because, WTH do you need exposure compensation dial for in manual??? This part of the whole thing boggles my mind - you might find a use for the exposure compensation dial in any mode other than manual but the custom settings default to manual mode. If you weren't in manual anyway, your rear wheel is exposure compensation and you have 4 dials for 2 functions...

In Manual Mode I often use Auto ISO and with this EC is enabled (and is useful - to me).

7. No Zebras in stills mode. I find this very useful with my Sony and wish Canon would enable this (I missed it with my R and am missing it with my R5). Come on Canon!!

8. The ability to customise any button to any function (where the mechanics allow it), in particular the Rate button. (My Sony also has some - but less - limitations in this respect).

Phil

PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +9 more
MinAZ
OP MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,566

User6100568601 wrote:

Less need, but still useful in some situations: https://cameracal.co.uk/blogs/calibration/mirrorless-cameras-and-lens-calibration

This is not the same. All cameras have custom modes, but what I am specifically referring to is a "panic button" that you can assign to a hot key. This is much faster than turning a dial, and for the purpose, that timing does matter. Which actually brings up a sub-point (not solvable with firmware unfortunately):

5a. Lack of dedicated custom buttons. While Canon does allow assigning of the buttons available to other uses, I generally find that I actually do want the buttons already assigned so would have liked maybe another 2-3 buttons. Although I guess there is a aesthetic trade-off.

6 - I don't understand what you want but exposure compensation dial is need for M mode with Auto ISO

Good point, I had not realized Canon introduced this feature.

MinAZ

PMUK wrote:

Hi MinAZ,

MinAZ wrote:

Totally agree the ability to back-up (and transfer) camera settings should be provided. (I'd like this on my Sony too, although with that I can save some MR settings to an SD card).

Not a big issue (for me, maybe more so for some), but as you say, there is a workaround.

I wasn't aware micro adjustment was necessary (or even do-able) with mirrorless systems?

It can be useful under some circumstances...

https://cameracal.co.uk/blogs/calibration/mirrorless-cameras-and-lens-calibration

I have my M-Fn button set up to cycle Current-C1-C2-C3 Modes and this works for me. (My Sony does allow for a 'recall of settings button' and this has occasionally proved useful).

This is about as good as it gets, and granted many people will find this sufficient. I can only say that with the Sony A7RIV and later, the ability to put a button near the thumb that on press, changes to a setting I KNOW will get the shot, and releasing the button instantly reverts back to what I was doing before, is still infinitely better than toggling modes. But as you say, not everyone needs this.

6. Not fantastic implementation of the dials. The only way you can set up custom dials is for manual mode, and in that particular case, you have 4 dials (including the one on the RF lens) for 3 functions - because, WTH do you need exposure compensation dial for in manual??? This part of the whole thing boggles my mind - you might find a use for the exposure compensation dial in any mode other than manual but the custom settings default to manual mode. If you weren't in manual anyway, your rear wheel is exposure compensation and you have 4 dials for 2 functions...

In Manual Mode I often use Auto ISO and with this EC is enabled (and is useful - to me).

I just learned this today...

7. No Zebras in stills mode. I find this very useful with my Sony and wish Canon would enable this (I missed it with my R and am missing it with my R5). Come on Canon!!

8. The ability to customise any button to any function (where the mechanics allow it), in particular the Rate button. (My Sony also has some - but less - limitations in this respect).

I have often wondered why this is. It's really baffling tbh, and I am sure it made sense to the engineer who designed it that way, at least at the time he did it.

Phil

PMUK
PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

Hi MinAZ,

MinAZ wrote:

PMUK wrote:

Hi MinAZ,

MinAZ wrote:

It can be useful under some circumstances...

https://cameracal.co.uk/blogs/calibration/mirrorless-cameras-and-lens-calibration

That's duly noted (and news to me!) thanks for the link.

Phil

PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +9 more
sobrien
sobrien Senior Member • Posts: 1,475

MinAZ wrote:

What circumstances do you want this for? I never found a use for it on my 5D cameras and honestly can’t see myself using it now either.

This could be handy alright.

What I do is set the camera to user defined initial AF point (i.e. on the shutter button) and programme AF-On to initiate eye AF with auto initial point. Best of both worlds.

Not needed in my experience.

Using custom modes and M-Fn button to instantly toggle them is a good way of achieving this.

Register/recall shooting func, as suggested above, is also an option though does not give you access to every setting you might ideally like.

I’m using Fv mode 99% of the time and find the dials fine for my purposes. I can use the rear dial and control dial for things like AF method and any exposure setting I like. I’m often in Fv mode like manual with auto-ISO so exposure comp is handy there.

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +16 more
MinAZ

sobrien wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

What circumstances do you want this for? I never found a use for it on my 5D cameras and honestly can’t see myself using it now either.

This could be handy alright.

What I do is set the camera to user defined initial AF point (i.e. on the shutter button) and programme AF-On to initiate eye AF with auto initial point. Best of both worlds.

I actually tried this, but I find that I prefer to do the toggle One-Shot and Servo instead for one reason: although eye-detect does simulate AUTO initial pt, one difference is that the button is a HOLD function rather than a TOGGLE, which means that you can't use the joystick to switch eyes. If it allowed that, I would have also set it up that way. For now, I just just the one-shot, its good enough anyway as long as the subject is still.

Not needed in my experience.

Using custom modes and M-Fn button to instantly toggle them is a good way of achieving this.

Register/recall shooting func, as suggested above, is also an option though does not give you access to every setting you might ideally like.

I’m using Fv mode 99% of the time and find the dials fine for my purposes. I can use the rear dial and control dial for things like AF method and any exposure setting I like. I’m often in Fv mode like manual with auto-ISO so exposure comp is handy there.

sobrien

PMUK wrote:

Hi MinAZ,

MinAZ wrote:

Yes, zebras for stills would be nice. I’d settle for straight up overexposure blinkies like you can get when reviewing images.

Yeah, it might be handy to programme the magnify button also. And not sure why there are two functions (toggle custom modes and toggle stills/video) that can only be assigned to the M-Fv button. You can’t have both functions at the same time, for some reason.

Phil

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."

Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +16 more
sobrien

MinAZ wrote:

User6100568601 wrote:

Less need, but still useful in some situations: https://cameracal.co.uk/blogs/calibration/mirrorless-cameras-and-lens-calibration

This is not the same. All cameras have custom modes, but what I am specifically referring to is a "panic button" that you can assign to a hot key. This is much faster than turning a dial, and for the purpose, that timing does matter. Which actually brings up a sub-point (not solvable with firmware unfortunately):

I think you misunderstand what Register/recall shooting func is. It is precisely a type of panic button that allows you to recall certain shooting parameters. It operates while the button is held down rather than an on/off toggle. It could/should offer more adjustable parameters though. It has been around for a good while on Canon DSLRs and has not evolved at all as far as I am aware.

5a. Lack of dedicated custom buttons. While Canon does allow assigning of the buttons available to other uses, I generally find that I actually do want the buttons already assigned so would have liked maybe another 2-3 buttons. Although I guess there is a aesthetic trade-off.

-- hide signature --

Chris Giles
Chris Giles Regular Member • Posts: 373

The 'shoot / recall' function is the panic button. Assign it to somewhere and you're golden. I'm stoked it's in the R6 as it was in the 1DX (but not the 5D series) so was sorely missed especially for those photographers who shoot manually.

The only gripe I have with it is the limited number of things it addresses. Like shutter / iso / metering / aperture etc. But not AF mode or type.

You could do a lot more with it if you could program eye AF into it.

Similarly it would be nice to have a panic button for specific assignable AF modes. For me I use the aperture button to jump between One Shot and Servo but it would be nice to have something that allows me tocould switch between spot focusing and Eye AF.

Currently the only way to change AF points is scrolling the menu or I think a custom mode C1, C2, C3.

sobrien

Chris Giles wrote:

The 'shoot / recall' function is the panic button. Assign it to somewhere and you're golden. I'm stoked it's in the R6 as it was in the 1DX (but not the 5D series) so was sorely missed especially for those photographers who shoot manually.

The only gripe I have with it is the limited number of things it addresses. Like shutter / iso / metering / aperture etc. But not AF mode or type.

Similarly it would be nice to have a panic button for specific assignable AF modes. For me I use the aperture button to jump between One Shot and Servo but it would be nice to have something that allows me tocould switch between spot focusing and Eye AF.

Currently the only way to change AF points is scrolling the menu or I think a custom mode C1, C2, C3.

If you are content to limit yourself to two AF methods (say spot and face+tracking) then pressing the Direct AF method button will toggle between the two of them.

And you can assign different AF methods to either AF-On or * buttons.

Alternatively, I am finding using the rear wheel to be a very responsive way of changing AF method.

-- hide signature --

Franz Kerschbaum
Franz Kerschbaum Contributing Member • Posts: 810

9. A combination of the Intervalltimer with the Long Exposure Bulb Timer. No reason to all for the Intervalltimer a max of 30s. Moreover Why stop M time settings at 30s, 60s, 120s... could now easily be implemented in times of no longer mechanical dials ,,,,

Franz Kerschbaum's gear list:Franz Kerschbaum's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R +18 more
Canon2 New Member • Posts: 23

10. EVF brightness. EVF is rather dark in sunlight, even at highest setting, especially if you wear glasses.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 21,973

MinAZ wrote:

User6100568601 wrote:

So a company that specializes in calibration tells us we still need to MFA mirrorless bodies 

-- hide signature --

Another one bites the dust. I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
MinAZ

Chris Giles wrote:

Ok wow I totally missed that. There is literally  no documentation in the user manual or on the web (that I could find) on how this works. I guess I'll go fiddle around with it. In the Sony implementation, you literally save a snapshot of your camera settings to memory and the button will recall all settings instantly. I have to agree that leaving out AF is inconvenient to say the least but something is better than nothing. All these things can be addressed in firmware if there was a way to feedback to Canon!

lawny13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,004

Zeee wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

User6100568601 wrote:

So a company that specializes in calibration tells us we still need to MFA mirrorless bodies

No... they say that lenses might need to be calibrated.

If I remember correctly micro adjustments to lenses was never completely straight forward, you often had to adjust them for example at more than one FL. Ideally you would have to actually adjust the lens for all FLs, and for various focusing distances.

And the whole point was the correct difference in focal plane distance between the sensor and the focusing sensor. But now as we all know they are one and the same.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 21,973

lawny13 wrote:

Zeee wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

User6100568601 wrote:

Yes if lens is bad then you send it in. MFA corrects for the normal deviation that exists in the mirror assembly. FoCal got creative and started use the program to text unit lens instead of MFA. You need to stay alive so you get creative. FoCal is an excellent program which I used for years but. I'll never use it again. Since MLIC does not need MFA I won't need anything to tell me if my lens is not performing.

If I remember correctly micro adjustments to lenses was never completely straight forward, you often had to adjust them for example at more than one FL. Ideally you would have to actually adjust the lens for all FLs, and for various focusing distances.

Yes I had love/hate relationship with MFA for many years.

And the whole point was the correct difference in focal plane distance between the sensor and the focusing sensor. But now as we all know they are one and the same.

-- hide signature --

Another one bites the dust. I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
StevenScholten Regular Member • Posts: 351

Plus Highlighr alert  (blinkies) when shooting

StevenScholten's gear list:StevenScholten's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +8 more
MinAZ

Zeee wrote:

lawny13 wrote:

Zeee wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

User6100568601 wrote:

Yes if lens is bad then you send it in. MFA corrects for the normal deviation that exists in the mirror assembly. FoCal got creative and started use the program to text unit lens instead of MFA. You need to stay alive so you get creative. FoCal is an excellent program which I used for years but. I'll never use it again. Since MLIC does not need MFA I won't need anything to tell me if my lens is not performing.

Yes I had love/hate relationship with MFA for many years.

It's not just them, I trust Sony enough to realize they would not put MFA into a body if it did nothing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads