Custom White Balance with XT-3 for video

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
chillipalmer New Member • Posts: 15
Custom White Balance with XT-3 for video

Hi everybody,

So I'm shooting 4k Eterna and Flog video on the XT-3 in a controlled lighting studio environment. I'm color grading on Resolve, and I want to make sure my colors and white balance are as accurate as possible before I apply a look. But:

At the moment I use custom white balance in camera set to a white piece of paper. I am considering 'upgrading' the paper to a proper white balance card. This leads me to all the usual arguing on internet forums about whether to use a grey card vs. a white one. I don't really care what I use, as long as it makes my colors accurate and my grading easier. What should I get?

One of the problems I have with Fuji custom white balance is I have to fill the square with the white/grey. So shooting with prime lenses, I have to set up the shot and the lights, but then move the camera closer to the white paper so I can set the custom white balance correctly. Is this right? I always feel weird doing it, and wonder if there's a way I can set the white balance without ruining the setup. The alternative is to move the paper closer to the camera, but then the paper is going to be in a different lighting situation to the subject, and this seems like an obviously bad idea.

Given this problem of moving the camera, it seems that a bigger white balance card is better, so I should avoid all those small passport style white balance cards. Any ideas on what to look for, or other solutions which will help in this situation? Thanks.

Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Expo disc, white card

So I don't have an X-T3 and I am everything but a video pro. I posted "a decent baseline for Fujifilm video recording (for video beginners)."

Just a few thoughts.

1. You could use an expo disc
  2. Last time I just used the white wall next to my subject for custom WB and it was good. I decided for Classic Chrome film simulation because this one delivered the best skin tone in combination with the custom WB. I didn't want too warm a skin tone.
  3. I have a Novoflex white card and also an expo disc. But I do not use them a lot in stills. This is because I always get too warm and 'unrealistic' colors with either of them!
    I've never done a systematic study (though it's planned) but I've not found a situation yet where the card or the expo disc delivered a more pleasing result than Fuji's auto WB. Maybe heavily mixed light could be such a situation.
    With video, of course, WB needs to be kept constant, i.e., you need to apply some sort of custom WB.
  4. With a white card, basically, the white side is for WB and the gray side for exposure. Since the gray side should be color neutral, it can also be used for WB - but what's in it vs the white side? Nothing. - That's how I understood it.

Comments welcome.

BR,

Martin

-- hide signature --
 Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +5 more
Rapidisimo Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: Custom White Balance with XT-3 for video

chillipalmer wrote:

Hi everybody,

So I'm shooting 4k Eterna and Flog video on the XT-3 in a controlled lighting studio environment. I'm color grading on Resolve, and I want to make sure my colors and white balance are as accurate as possible before I apply a look. But:

At the moment I use custom white balance in camera set to a white piece of paper. I am considering 'upgrading' the paper to a proper white balance card. This leads me to all the usual arguing on internet forums about whether to use a grey card vs. a white one. I don't really care what I use, as long as it makes my colors accurate and my grading easier. What should I get?

One of the problems I have with Fuji custom white balance is I have to fill the square with the white/grey. So shooting with prime lenses, I have to set up the shot and the lights, but then move the camera closer to the white paper so I can set the custom white balance correctly. Is this right? I always feel weird doing it, and wonder if there's a way I can set the white balance without ruining the setup. The alternative is to move the paper closer to the camera, but then the paper is going to be in a different lighting situation to the subject, and this seems like an obviously bad idea.

Given this problem of moving the camera, it seems that a bigger white balance card is better, so I should avoid all those small passport style white balance cards. Any ideas on what to look for, or other solutions which will help in this situation? Thanks.

Yeah I was having the same issue. On my Panasonic G85 it's a small square that can be easily  be filled but on the X-T3 it's a much bigger one. Initially I had a small cheap amazon collapsable card that was all wrinkled so I don't think it gave me good results.

Instead I bought one from B&H Impact QuikBalance Collapsible 22" Gray PanelI find that this is a good size for me and now I don't have to reposition my camera or zoom. It even comes with a manual

Rapidisimo's gear list:Rapidisimo's gear list
Panasonic G85 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads