Switching from Canon 6d to Sony A7, needing advices about adaptor

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
krystof163 New Member • Posts: 2
Switching from Canon 6d to Sony A7, needing advices about adaptor

Hi,

I'm sorry if this kind of thread already appeared many time. If so, please be kind to inform the links and I'll check them out.

I'm currently using a Canon Eos 6d.

I would like to switch to a mirrorless, fullframe. My use is only photo, I dont use video.

I think a Sony A7iii would attend me, but having a low budget, I would like to switch progressively using this new body with some Canon lenses.

Could any one advice me regarding about the best adapter in that case (specifically Canon EF lenses to Sony E-mount)?

Thank a lot.

Christophe

Canon EOS 6D Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
blank_ Regular Member • Posts: 357
Re: Switching from Canon 6d to Sony A7, needing advices about adaptor

krystof163 wrote:

Hi,

I'm sorry if this kind of thread already appeared many time. If so, please be kind to inform the links and I'll check them out.

I would like to switch to a mirrorless, fullframe. My use is only photo, I dont use video.

I think a Sony A7iii would attend me, but having a low budget, I would like to switch progressively using this new body with some Canon lenses.

Could any one advice me regarding about the best adapter in that case (specifically Canon EF lenses to Sony E-mount)?

Thank a lot.

Christophe

In short, I'd recommend to keep the 6d until your budget lets you get the native FE lenses. I still keep my sigma mc-11 for Canon TS lenses as Sony has no equivalent, but that's about it.

blank_'s gear list:blank_'s gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Sony a7 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +5 more
Handsome90 Regular Member • Posts: 418

krystof163 wrote:

Hi,

Thank a lot.

Christophe

Here is a good overview by camera store TV.

Keep in mind that A7iii doesn’t have real time tracking. Real time tracking is available in A9, A7RIV and A7c

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,714

There are two main good adapters: the Sigma MC-11 and the Metabones T IV or V.

The Metabones runs about $400. The Sigma about $250, but $150 when it's on sale, which it often is.

There are two levels of functionality from these adapters.

The basic functionality (called Green Mode on the Metabones) provides the same functionality as Sony's LA-EA3 does for A mount SAM/SSM lenses. On an A7III this means:

1. Fast PDAF

2. Eye AF

3. Several focus areas, but no lock on or tracking

4. 3 FPS continuous shooting with AF between frames

The Metabones also has an advanced mode which is similar to the Sigma when used with specific Sigma lenses (Sigma Global Vision lenses). This mode provides native emulation functionality, unlocking AF in video, fast CDAF and hybrid AF, immediate aperture stop down while composing, 10 FPS continuous shooting with AF between frames, lock on AF and tracking, cooperative stabilization (IBIS + ILIS), etc.

The Sigma native emulation reportedly works overall better than Advanced Mode, which makes sense since Sigma knows their lenses and isn't reverse engineering them. Metabones continues to update Advanced Mode for other Canon lenses, though, and there are some lenses that it works quite well with.

If your lenses are well supported for Advanced Mode, you might want to go for the Metabones. If they're not, or if you have some Sigma GV lenses, the MC-11 may be the better choice.

There are also a bunch of less expensive adapters. These generally support only the basic LA-EA3 level of functionality, and may have other issues. There are probably some that provide good basic functionality for around $100, but, with the MC11 being $150 on sale, I'm not sure that's worth it. The build quality of the MC-11 is very good.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +24 more
82300sd New Member • Posts: 16

I got rid of almost all my Canon lenses after switching to Sony because it just gets annoying after awhile when the autofocus is trying to hunt occasionally.  I would say the MC-11 adapter is decent, but at some point you'll get annoyed.  If you have some lenses that you may want to keep, that Sony doesn't have, it maybe good to get the adapter.  I still use the IRIX 15mm with the MC-11, because it's an awesome lens, and I can't find a focal length native to Sony that can still take a front filter.

juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,155

krystof163 wrote:

Hi,

Thank a lot.

Christophe

I recommend you to go for the RP.

The first gen A7 is pretty slow focusing with native lenses, and it’s even worse with adapted lenses. The RP is much much faster, and your Canon lenses will work on it as if they were native RF lenses. 
the EOS RP also has a better screen, better high iso performance, better colors... The A7 is better in DR at low isos, but for the rest...

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +9 more
Peter Foiles
Peter Foiles Senior Member • Posts: 1,942

juanmaasecas wrote:

krystof163 wrote:

Hi,

Thank a lot.

Christophe

The first gen A7 is pretty slow focusing with native lenses, and it’s even worse with adapted lenses. The RP is much much faster, and your Canon lenses will work on it as if they were native RF lenses.
the EOS RP also has a better screen, better high iso performance, better colors... The A7 is better in DR at low isos, but for the rest...

While I tend to agree with the suggestion to stick with Canon, the OP specifically mentions the A7iii not the first Gen A7.

Peter Foiles's gear list:Peter Foiles's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Olympus E-M5 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +13 more
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,789

Depends on your lenses and if they are worth keeping. There are four Canon lenses that I keep on purpose - because they are very good and allow me to switch between systems: EF1635/4, EF70200/4IS, EF135/2 and EF-S 24/2.8. Because of EF-S I am using the Metabones IV (MC-11 doesn't accept EF-S). But I own both adapters and both work well on the a7M3. But you may want to consider selling you Canon lenses and buying an a7M3 24105/4 kit rather than spending money on an adapter.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a6500 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7R III +54 more
juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,155

Peter Foiles wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

krystof163 wrote:

Hi,

Thank a lot.

Christophe

While I tend to agree with the suggestion to stick with Canon, the OP specifically mentions the A7iii not the first Gen A7.

My bad, I read it wrong.

The A7III has a great sensor and great af system, and adapted lenses work well enough (except for video) although not as good as in Canon mirrorless.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +9 more
kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,625
no point switching

at this point, if you are starting from scratch, there are compelling reasons for body canon and sony system, but if if you already are invested in one of the systems, there is really no compelling reason to switch.  This comes from someone who switched from canon 5d3 to sony a7rII and now a7rIV.

Staying with canon r6, even though the body is more expensive will save you money in the long run, by not having to sell your canon and buy sony. The AF of canon with EF lenses is excellent, but no adapter gives you fast tracking of canon lenses with sony bodies.

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EOS 80D Sony a7R II +25 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,756

A7 III is a great budget camera that you can find a bargain now.  Its IQ is much better than 6D that has outdated sensor, especially in DR, not even close.  AF-C tracking is also much better from A7 III.  You still can use EF lenses via adapter.  Sigma MC-11 is a great choice that sometime on sale at $150.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +18 more
OP krystof163 New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you all for your contributions.

I decided to sell my Canon lenses, and start from scratch with a Sony body and one or 2 lenses (maybe a Samyang 45mm or Zeis 55mm and a Zeis 24-105mm).

Thanks

Despiser Regular Member • Posts: 217

krystof163 wrote:

Thank you all for your contributions.

I decided to sell my Canon lenses, and start from scratch with a Sony body and one or 2 lenses (maybe a Samyang 45mm or Zeis 55mm and a Zeis 24-105mm).

Thanks

If You are looking for a native all in one lens the new Tamron 28-200 does macro, telephoto and low light with a sharp picture.

Despiser's gear list:Despiser's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
Fotookes New Member • Posts: 22

Sigma's mc-11 adapters are just fine! I use them on my a7ii's with a bunch of ef lenses and they work great!!! Unless you are a professional sports photography shooter, which I seem to think you are not, going that route for now will be just fine! Don't listen to those gas-men on here, they do not know what they are talking about and just make you spend silly money...

-- hide signature --

I WALK WITH MY FEET AND ZOOM WITH MY LENS...

voronspb
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,983

krystof163 wrote:

Generally there're two more or less reliable EF-E adapters: Metabones (MBV) and Sigma MC-11. Neither is ideal, in the worst case you may need both of them: e.g. MBV is good for many Canon-branded lenses, but it doesn't work well with Canon 8-15L; while Sigma is needed for Sigma lenses, and it supports 8-15L, but it doesn't support Tamron 70-300 at all.

All in all, don't count on adapter too much. I switched from Canon to Sony 2 years ago, and I sold most of my Canon lenses really quickly, despite having an adapter. Adapted lenses don't match the performance and convenience of native ones, and also there's added bulk, your mirrorless camera essentially becomes bigger with adapted lens next to DSLR, not smaller.

And now it's 2020, and it may be wiser to stay with Canon, as EOS R6 looks good enough to me.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6500 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +7 more
Fotookes New Member • Posts: 22

krystof163 wrote:

Hi,

Thank a lot.

Christophe

Christophe,

After reading some of the replies, I really feel I should step in and protect you from all this GAS-rubbish!!
I also have an Eos 6d and two a7II with mc-11's and can honestly tell you that the step from the 6d to the a7's with mc-11's will open up a new world for you!

Unless you shoot really demanding stuff, which looks like not being the case?, this combo works just fine, and if I may say so, even better most of the times than the 6d!!

I use the following lenses on my a7's WITHOUT much if any problems and actually with much better results than on the 6d: EF17-40L,24-105L,70-200L,100-400L,35IS, 105MACRO, and a bunch of others!!

The 100-400 even works very nicely with the 1,4x converter attached, TRY THAT ON YOUR 6d!!!!

SO, do not listen to these silly wanna-beez or GAS-men on here, they always seem to ignore the questions asked, and only seem to be interested in sharing their own very narrow minded experience, preferences which, at the end of the day DO NOT HELP people like you, asking a simple question...

Aynways, hope you don't end up spending silly money on stuff you DO NOT need to take great pictures and have a hell of of nice time with your hobby/ passion!

Cheers,

The FeetZoom

-- hide signature --

I WALK WITH MY FEET AND ZOOM WITH MY LENS...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads