Zeiss Otus 28 vs the rest

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
LucaTestaGrigia New Member • Posts: 1
Zeiss Otus 28 vs the rest

Hi all,

I use a D850 and I'm considering buying the Otus 28.

I have no concerns about the size, weight, and lack of AF, but I'd like to know if it's still the best 20-30mm lens on the market, by a margin big enough to justify its price tag.

The Milvus line seems to be pretty good, some say they have a more saturated rendering, but with softer corners, while the Otus is duller but excellent in the whole frame.

Any other contenders?

I shoot 99% landscape and astro on the mountains.

Thanks!

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,434
Re: Zeiss Otus 28 vs the rest

I'd look closely at Nikon's 28MM E.  It's a really nice lens, and has AF.

avalvo's gear list:avalvo's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100
FredInMN1 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

Large crop.

Yes, the Sigma Art 28/1.4. Check the reviews, very highly rated, and less than 1/3 the Otus price. Have one in L mount for a Panasonic S1R, excellent results.

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=sigma%2028mm%20f%2f1.4%20dg%20hsm%20art%20lens%20for%20nikon%20dslr%20cameras

FredInMN1's gear list:FredInMN1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony DSC-RX0 Leica D-Lux 7 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D500 +5 more
Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 791

avalvo wrote:

I'd look closely at Nikon's 28MM E. It's a really nice lens, and has AF.

Agreed! I don't own the Otus or Milvus but several 28mm primes across mounts, including the Nikkor 28/1.4E. Given OP is shooting a Nikon DSLR, the E is an obvious choice for top-level performance, AF, and compatibility with F mount. It's also relatively compact. I use it for available-darkness situations:

D4, 28E, ISO 3200

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

Luca1979 New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks for your suggestions!

Still to be defined is if these alternatives are “almost” at Otus level (still lacking something), or really there.

Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 930

The 28/1.4E has LaCA at distance even stopped down to f/8, so its color correction is not at Otus level and color correction is one of the hallmarks of Otus quality. But that's not to say it's a bad lens: not at all, and I love mine, but it doesn't perform at the rarified levels of an Otus.

JHern
JHern Regular Member • Posts: 102

I have no concerns about the size, weight, and lack of AF, but I'd like to know if it's still the best 20-30mm lens on the market, by a margin big enough to justify its price tag.

For the same price you could get both the Milvus 35/1.4 and 18/2.8. These are both spectacular, close to Otus performance, and also weather proofed. Not in 20-30, but they would allow you to bracket that focal length range. The 35/1.4 has better 3D subject separation wide open, since it is a tad longer than the 28/1.4. And the 18 is, well, very wide when you need it.

Check out Lloyd Chambers' reviews of these lenses, it is worth paying for if you are spending $4k.

JHern's gear list:JHern's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +25 more
John Crowe Regular Member • Posts: 400

This is one very expensive lens.  I know the Canon 17 TS-E and 24 TS-E II can challenge it.  I know the Nikon 24 PC is not good enough, but perhaps the 19 PC is.  If the 19 PC is similar to Canon's TS-E not only could it challenge the Otus, but you get the advantage of being able to shift and stitch to get medium format sized images at about 13mm equivalent.

I have been trying to find a vintage lens that could challenge the Otus, but that does not seem possible.  The Sigma Art should also be very close.  Difficult to beat the corners of the Otus.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Irix 11mm F4 +14 more
Blind Bill
Blind Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 819

LucaTestaGrigia wrote:

Hi all,

I use a D850 and I'm considering buying the Otus 28.

I shoot 99% landscape and astro on the mountains.

Thanks!

If your heart is set on the Otus then by all means buy one!  I now own three Milvus lenses (15/2, 50/2, 135/2) and they are simply incredible. As you'll read along this thread you will see suggestions for other very good lenses but in the end it is what will make you happy.  Any chance you can rent one first?  The MF will definitely make you slow down and use your tripod more but if you can overcome this then you ought to get it and quit thinking about all the other lenses you 'might' like.  Good luck!

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads