Nikon D5300 with Sigma 10mm f2.8 fish eye lens AF not working

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Bitse New Member • Posts: 24
Nikon D5300 with Sigma 10mm f2.8 fish eye lens AF not working

Hi all,

I recently purchased used Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Fish eye lens for my Nikon d5300. Lens looks clean but when I connect with device in AF mode the motor is not working.  I did googling and found Sigma lens has some problem with Nikon body but not sure whether that's affecting or lens itself has any issue with Auto Focus.

Manual fosus works but when I select Auto Focus, unable to press the shutter button.

I tried  other AF Nikon  lens and all looks working.

Anyone facing simar issue?

Nikon D5 Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,573
Re: Nikon D5300 with Sigma 10mm f2.8 fish eye lens AF not working

If lens switch is set to AF and contacts are clean, then perhaps contact Sigma Service?

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,702

Bitse wrote:

Hi all,

I recently purchased used Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Fish eye lens for my Nikon d5300. Lens looks clean but when I connect with device in AF mode the motor is not working. I did googling and found Sigma lens has some problem with Nikon body but not sure whether that's affecting or lens itself has any issue with Auto Focus.

Manual fosus works but when I select Auto Focus, unable to press the shutter button.

I tried other AF Nikon lens and all looks working.

Sigma has tried to reverse engineer Nikon lens communications protocol for 30 years and this is what always happens, time after time.

There's an old Sigma admission of incompatibility concerning that camera model too:

https://www.slrlounge.com/cautionary-tale-third-party-lenses-sigma-announces-compatability-issues-nikon-d5300/

Perhaps Sigma can fix the lens? Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Peter
_
Jedem das Seine, mir das Meiste!

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +25 more
OP Bitse New Member • Posts: 24

Janoch wrote:

If lens switch is set to AF and contacts are clean, then perhaps contact Sigma Service?

Hi Janoch,

Lens is set to AF and contacts are clean. i tried multiple ways of checking and noticed one weird thing is its working in AF-C mode with AF in lens. I sent a message to Sigma and they are asking to send the lens for doing free estimation.

pforsell wrote:

Bitse wrote:

Hi all,

I recently purchased used Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Fish eye lens for my Nikon d5300. Lens looks clean but when I connect with device in AF mode the motor is not working. I did googling and found Sigma lens has some problem with Nikon body but not sure whether that's affecting or lens itself has any issue with Auto Focus.

Sigma has tried to reverse engineer Nikon lens communications protocol for 30 years and this is what always happens, time after time.

There's an old Sigma admission of incompatibility concerning that camera model too:

https://www.slrlounge.com/cautionary-tale-third-party-lenses-sigma-announces-compatability-issues-nikon-d5300/

Perhaps Sigma can fix the lens? Good luck.

Thanks for the Article. I tried to do some research and all ended up with Firmware issue.

Weird part is its working in AF-C mode with Auto Focus in lens.

I tried to connect with Sigma USB dock to see whether anything can be done but its not detecting.

I asked Sigma for this and they asking to send this for free estimation. Since, I bought this lens from 3rd party as used for $250 don't have any warranty docs. Not sure how Sigma going to treat on charges.

Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,573

Sigma and Tamron are strange as they're known to sometimes do service for free.

Just send it in for an estimate, you never know before they've taken a look. If there's a cost and you find it's too high, you at most have only lost postage.

Would like to hear the outcome.

Best of luck!

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,462

Bitse wrote:

Hi all,

You may also try taking pictures using the "hyperfocal" method,

just google search and you'll find the "how-to".

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list,..
...................words matter!...................

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 2,760

That lens was designed in 2007 or before.

It's probably a question of firmware. If it is, Sigma can update it for free depending on whether production overlapped D5300 production.

You don't really need AF for a fisheye. You can usually either focus it at 1m for closeish things or 3m for infinity, and let depth of field do the rest. I regularly used fisheyes with manual focus.

threw the lens wrote:

That lens was designed in 2007 or before.

It's probably a question of firmware. If it is, Sigma can update it for free depending on whether production overlapped D5300 production.

You don't really need AF for a fisheye. You can usually either focus it at 1m for closeish things or 3m for infinity, and let depth of field do the rest. I regularly used fisheyes with manual focus.

hi,

I actually bought that lens as used one recently and not sure whether any issue with the lens or firmware . Based on suggestions from earlier post  I reached Sigma about this issue and they asked me to send the lens for inspection.  Once its back will use the Manual focus in case they cant fix it.

Janoch wrote:

Just send it in for an estimate, you never know before they've taken a look. If there's a cost and you find it's too high, you at most have only lost postage.

Best of luck!

Yeah. sending the lens by tomorrow. Will update once i receive response from Sigma

Janoch wrote:

Best of luck!

Sigma confirmed the receipt of  lens but after two days i got UPS tracking number saying your lens has been shipped. No where they mention about what service was performed. They didnt charged the return shipping.

Finger crossed and waiting. Thankyou for your advise.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads