Chicken (of the woods)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
tantalum181
tantalum181 Regular Member • Posts: 124
Chicken (of the woods)

We discovered a humungus fungus amungus the other day out mountain biking our local trails.

View with the fp and 45mm lens

Behold : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus

I had the fp and fun 45mm lens and took some shots:

Others were with me

Hooman included for scale. I think I heard him say "Make love to the lens, baby!"

The next day I biked up to it with a backpack of lens and various bodies and a tripod:

Someone had harvested about 1/3 of our model.

Then, I broke out the 105mm Macro and SD1m. I really like the foveon sensor when I want every pixel to be, just so.

Cropped with Affinity.

I did not harvest any of this Chicken as I am unfamiliar with this this species. I do harvest chanterelles when they appear. Most delicious.

I think I saw this one starting to grow when I went by a couple of weeks ago. The orange color was so intense I thought it was a spray paint marking for logging. It appears it was not.

bob

-- hide signature --

Look where you want to go. Don't look where you don't want to go.

tantalum181's gear list:tantalum181's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sigma SD1 Merrill +11 more
Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tagscuderia
tagscuderia Senior Member • Posts: 1,728
Re: Chicken (of the woods)

Mushroom season came early to NW England, I found a huge crop of chicken of the woods in some local woodland in June! I made 2 risottos; first time cooking with it but obviously it's unmistakable − as long as it's not growing on a birch (absorbs toxins from the tree) then it's edible*.

The orange really is incredible, an exciting find.

*don't hold me to that, that's just what one book stated!Oak is definitely safe though, I've tested that one

tagscuderia's gear list:tagscuderia's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,848
Re: Chicken (of the woods)

The experts say you can eat any mushroom once. (Once is all some people get though)!

Never found a chicken of the woods, found a few shrimp and bought a lobster, lots of agaricus augustus my favorite and chanterelles and a few others I've forgotten.  Been way to dry around here to have many mushrooms this year.

Here's an excellent reference available in both the UK and the US:

https://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Demystified-David-Arora/dp/0898151694/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4WXL05LP78QE&dchild=1&keywords=mushrooms+demystified&qid=1601004479&sprefix=mushrooms+%2Caps%2C239&sr=8-3

tagscuderia wrote:

Mushroom season came early to NW England, I found a huge crop of chicken of the woods in some local woodland in June! I made 2 risottos; first time cooking with it but obviously it's unmistakable − as long as it's not growing on a birch (absorbs toxins from the tree) then it's edible*.

The orange really is incredible, an exciting find.

*don't hold me to that, that's just what one book stated!Oak is definitely safe though, I've tested that one

-- hide signature --

"Laoma shitu" "An old horse knows the road" Chinese Proverb "Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads