Lightroom noise reduction or...?

Started Sep 23, 2020 | Discussions
BoredFatMan
BoredFatMan Junior Member • Posts: 28
Lightroom noise reduction or...?

Hi all,

can someone please explain to me what the difference is between using Lightrooms built in noise reduction or a standalone plugin?

There is a popular plugin that people use and I can’t for the life of me remember the name of it, but why choose that when noise reduction is already built in? Is it really that much more superior?

Having recently purchased the Sigma 100-400, ISO tends to be higher than I’d like therefore introducing more noise than I’m used to...

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Being friendly costs nothing but pays well

BoredFatMan's gear list:BoredFatMan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R IV Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro
maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,862
Re: Lightroom noise reduction or...?

I've never found Adobe's NR to be what I want I now use Topaz Denoise AI which I find excellent. Others swear by the latest DxO Photolab 4 Elite and its Deep Prime option.

maggiemole's gear list:maggiemole's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 31,010

maggiemole wrote:

I've never found Adobe's NR to be what I want I now use Topaz Denoise AI which I find excellent. Others swear by the latest DxO Photolab 4 Elite and its Deep Prime option.

I swear by Neat Image.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

Adobe has great noise reduction, but it does require that you spend a bit of time learning how to use it.  There's a lot of potential in those four sliders.  Matt Kloskowski's YouTube channel is a great resource.  I tried the new Topaz AI denoise, but I was getting some funky artifacts.  That said, I think any tool requires time and learning.  I just have not found anything that's worth paying for beyond the Lightroom tool.

I recently tried an experiment printing two versions of two separate images.  Both were ISO 12,800 on a Nikon D780.  Each image had a straight version (no noise reduction) and then a noise controlled version.  There were slight differences, but I really had to look.  I can clearly see the noise differences on-screen, but the prints were nearly identical.

There's so many things that go into how much to reduce noise, including print size, viewing distance, and of course personal preference.  When reducing noise in Lightroom, one key is to use the masking slider (last one one in the pane) to protect areas that really should not be sharpened.  You'll also get better results with RAW files, but how much that matters depends on your camera and how clean you need the image.

Best wishes in your search.

DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +7 more
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,986

Lr NR is very good. Lr + Topaz plug-ins is even better when processing photos that are not sharp or have a lot of noise.

I suggest you download trial versions of Topaz Sharpen and Denoise and give them a try. Only you can judge if they are worth the price.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,871

I also use Topaz Denoise AI in combination with LR. Based on a tutorial I watched (can't remember which one) I will crop and straighten, turn on lens correction and remove chromatic aberration, then drag the sharpening down to zero. Then I send to Topaz, tweak it to my liking, then return to LR to finish editing. So far I am quite happy with this tool.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads