D850 and GPS

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
clickclack Senior Member • Posts: 1,204
D850 and GPS

First of all: Sorry for the question, but I did do a search. Either the GPS is not really functioning, or it has been discontinued.

Does anyone know of a current GPS module that works with the D850?

Nikon recommend GP1A in their manual, but it does not appear to be available?

Anyone any experience with the Solmeta Geotagger N3?

Thank you!

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,944
Re: D850 and GPS

I use a solmeta with my d800 but any should do.  I use snapbridge with my d7500

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
Vincent O'Sullivan Regular Member • Posts: 389

I've been using a Solmeta GPS (Pro 2) with my Nikons (including a D850) for several years and never had a problem with it.

The only catch is that you have to remember to turn it off when not in use, as it takes power from the camera battery when its own battery runs out.  Conversely, it you keep your camera battery charged up, you don't need to worry about charging the GPS as well.

fpapp
fpapp Contributing Member • Posts: 671

I have the Solmeta GMAX. Excellent very well designed and extremely accurate unit!

When I tested it, if it has a good satellite signal, the accuracy is within a foot or two.

I used to have the Pro 2 unit. The only complaint I had, and this would probably apply to the N2 as well, is that the cord would come unplugged from the unit easily. The GMAX fixed that problem because it uses the Nikon 10 pin threaded connector on the device!

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +47 more
Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

I have been using the DawnTech GPS with my D850 for several years. It is fantastic! Easy to use, rapid satellite acquisition, accurate, and not a significant drain on the camera battery.

See    http://www.dawntech.hk/di-GPS/mini_3l.htm

It mounts on the hot shoe & is unobtrusive. The only issue I have with it is the connection to the Nikon via the 10 pin connector on the front left of the camera. The real estate is a bit tight in there.

It is sold from Hong Kong. Fulfillment & shipments are fast. The company is very responsive! I had one defective unit and they quickly replaced - no questions asked.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +1 more
goldaccess Regular Member • Posts: 146

clickclack wrote:

Does anyone know of a current GPS module that works with the D850?

DawnTech Eco ProFessional 2 (with Digital Compass). iIt's always on my D850.

goldaccess's gear list:goldaccess's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +11 more
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,433

I don't like to tie up the hot shoe of the camera and I also don't want to drain the camera battery more rapidly. The solution for me going back to the D1x has been a bluetooth adapter that connects to the 10-pin port and then I use a Holux bluetooth GPS receiver. The Holux keeps track of the location and as soon as I turn on the camera it connects to the Holux immediately and I can start shooting and have the files geotagged.

B&H sells the Blue2Can adapter for Nikon cameras at $149. I used to buy the Aokatech that sold for $40 but the company has evidently gone out of business.

A b1tch of mine is that my Nikon Coolpix AW 120 point and shoot camera has built in GPS and a digital compass as does the D5300 and the $6500 D6 but Nikon has been truly shortsighted in providing this with any of its D8xx or D7xx cameras.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
OP clickclack Senior Member • Posts: 1,204

Thank you everybody for your replies!

I very much like Calson's solution, too,  because it doesn't use the camera's battery. Holux does not appear to be available anymore, but other devices may do the same. I agree, it would have been nice if GPS were built-in. Perhaps, there is not enough request?

For a moment I was about to buy the GP-1A, as the local camera store has one for sale second-hand, but reviews on B&H do not seem very promising. Now it will be either Calson's solution or the Solemeta.

fpapp

clickclack wrote:

I very much like Calson's solution, too, because it doesn't use the camera's battery. Holux does not appear to be available anymore, but other devices may do the same. I agree, it would have been nice if GPS were built-in. Perhaps, there is not enough request?

For a moment I was about to buy the GP-1A, as the local camera store has one for sale second-hand, but reviews on B&H do not seem very promising. Now it will be either Calson's solution or the Solemeta.

The Solmeta GMAX that I have uses it's own internal battery then will switch to the camera battery for power when exhausted.

Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +47 more

fpapp wrote:

clickclack wrote:

I very much like Calson's solution, too, because it doesn't use the camera's battery. Holux does not appear to be available anymore, but other devices may do the same. I agree, it would have been nice if GPS were built-in. Perhaps, there is not enough request?

The Solmeta GMAX that I have uses it's own internal battery then will switch to the camera battery for power when exhausted.

Thanks, that looks perfect! It is probably the N1 or N2, as the N3 uses the camera battery, according to their website?

fpapp

clickclack wrote:

fpapp wrote:

clickclack wrote:

Thanks, that looks perfect! It is probably the N1 or N2, as the N3 uses the camera battery, according to their website?

GMAX for Nikon camera

fpapp wrote:

clickclack wrote:

fpapp wrote:

clickclack wrote:

GMAX for Nikon camera

Thank you very much! Had not seen this model. I do like the cable is replaceable and is spiralled.

Need some time to think about the different options

fpapp

clickclack wrote:

GMAX for Nikon camera

Thank you very much! Had not seen this model. I do like the cable is replaceable and is spiralled.

Need some time to think about the different options

The other nice thing is that the cable has the Nikon threaded 10 pin connector on both ends so it wont pull out like the previous model I had!

I a n
I a n Regular Member • Posts: 111

Sounds like you have some good suggestions that fit what you need. Here is an alternative that someone might find helpful. I have been using my phone for GPS tracks and then I sync the GPS metadata from the phone using Geosetter (before I switched to Capture One I just used Lightroom). It has been working for me for years.

Android app "A-GPS Tracker:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.giobat.troviamoci&hl=en_CA

The PC app GeoSetter:
https://geosetter.de/en/main-en/

I am sure there are equivalent Mac and iPhone apps.

I a n's gear list:I a n's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Thomas Otterbein
Thomas Otterbein New Member • Posts: 23

I use the Dawntech Eco ProFessional 2. it’s quite fast, reliable and accurate. Unlike Nikon SnapBridge GPS in combination with your smartphone

It’s not cheap, but every cent worth.....

-- hide signature --

---
www.DG8FBV.de
www.Otterbein.photo

Thomas Otterbein's gear list:Thomas Otterbein's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more
cyclaaz Junior Member • Posts: 31

I use this one as well and recommend it.

StephenMcCloud Regular Member • Posts: 272

fpapp wrote:

clickclack wrote:

I've tried four different gps devices. The Solmeta GMAX is the only one that is reliable.

StephenMcCloud's gear list:StephenMcCloud's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
StephenMcCloud Regular Member • Posts: 272

Thomas Otterbein wrote:

I use the Dawntech Eco ProFessional 2. it’s quite fast, reliable and accurate. Unlike Nikon SnapBridge GPS in combination with your smartphone

I have both versions of this piece of junk. Both work for a while on D500 and D850 and then stop sending. Camera off/on to get them working again. They also drain the camera battery, which is okay with the vertical grip and a big battery but I don't always use the vertical grip.

StephenMcCloud's gear list:StephenMcCloud's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Thomas Otterbein
Thomas Otterbein New Member • Posts: 23

StephenMcCloud wrote:

Thomas Otterbein wrote:

I have both versions of this piece of junk. Both work for a while on D500 and D850 and then stop sending. Camera off/on to get them working again. They also drain the camera battery, which is okay with the vertical grip and a big battery but I don't always use the vertical grip.

That’s bad!
Never had problems with it. It works without any flaws and the battery drainage is negligible. I would contact Dawntech. I heard that they were very helpful and exchange defect units.

-- hide signature --

www.DG8FBV.de
www.Otterbein.photo

Thomas Otterbein's gear list:Thomas Otterbein's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads