Need advice for a new camera

Started 2 months ago | Questions
El Vuelo del Escorpion
El Vuelo del Escorpion Contributing Member • Posts: 759
Need advice for a new camera

Hi you all,

I am looking for a compact zoom camera that can replace my old (and reliable) Panasonic Lumix LX-3. The specific use of it will be just stills (no video) when flying my paragliding or travelling. This means I need a really compact/light camera, fast AF, easy "point and shoot" capabilities but with advance/manual operation as well, and with the best IQ possible, that justifies the Lumix replacement.

Here you can see an example of the environment where the new camera will mostly work:

So, which model would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your answers

El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list:El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,411
Re: Need advice for a new camera

Without a doubt, you will love either the rx100m6 or m7, and love the results. I am quite confident that if you buy one, new or used, with return privileges, you will keep it.

It is a darker lens than the LX-3, which caused me some hesitation, however:

larger sensor by far

greater reach by far

24fps continuous shooting (tooo fast, 100 shots in 4 secs to edit. I use 10 or even 3 fps, easier editing later)

Separate Fn Menu, Instantly to your chosen 12 settings to change shot to shot

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55937310

superior focus system: PDCD, amazing speed and accuracy.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62267519

higher ISO photos will have less noise

20mp images, nearly twice the # of pixels (modern pixels), thus you can crop them very aggressively. Sometimes you won't need to zoom fully into the lens's darkest aperture, simply crop a cleaner original

amazing modern processor

very good IS allows blur free slower shutter speeds

Aggressive Jpeg NR allows successful higher ISO use, which allows faster shutter speed to be used frequently

tilt lcd, pop-up evf, pop-up flash. EVF arms-in steadier handheld position enables slower shutter speeds

You might miss the LX-3's hot shoe if you have a large flash for group shots requiring you to stand further away.

auto iso in Manual mode

manual focus system is terrific, I use it frequently and you get quite fast with it quickly. see above link.

many optional features: HDR, DRO, Multi-Frame NR.

Jpeg Only Extra Reach: 'effortless, occasional, good enough'

Smart Zoom (in-camera crop) 280mm at 10mp or 400mm at 5mp image sizes.

Clear Image Zoom (in-camera crop and in-camera upscale) 400mm at 20mp

Jpeg 'effortless, occasional good enough' in camera Panorama.

My rx100m6 setup suggestions

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61386351

More than you wanted to know about these modern marvels

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61457004

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 5,071

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Without a doubt, you will love either the rx100m6 or m7, and love the results. I am quite confident that if you buy one, new or used, with return privileges, you will keep it.

It is a darker lens than the LX-3, which caused me some hesitation, however:

larger sensor by far

"Darker lens" means that it brings less light per sensor area.  However, since the sensor area is much larger, it still takes in more light from the scene.  While you'll need larger ISO values to get similar results, since the pixel areas are larger, the larger ISO values will still deliver less noise per pixel (and certainly per image) than the lower values you can use with the LX3 with its more dense pixels.

Among similar-sized sensors, the wide apertures of the LX3 make it rather competitive.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,256

Do you want to drop down in sensor size and get significantly more zoom capability or move up in sensor size for better low light capability?

I am thinking that if you were happy with the short zoom range of the LX3 then a 1" sensor camera will make more sense. Besides, trying to juggle a paraglider and hold a camera zoomed way out steady, may not happen.

A 1" sensor will allow you to use a higher ISO value before you start to get smudging and noise. That might offset a slightly slower lens also.

The very best IQ cameras in the compact 1" sensor range is the Sony RX100 series. But they are very pricey. The RX100iii to RX100VA has a 24-70 zoom and a f/1.8-f/2.8. The RX100vi and RX100vii have a 24-200 zoom and a slower f/2.8-f/4.5 lens.

The only 1" offerings in Panasonic is the ZS100 and ZS200. Both have a f/3.3-f/6.4 lens and the ZS200 has a 24-360 zoom vs the ZS100's 25-250 zoom.

All of these cameras have 20MP sensors. While the ZS100/200 might have a slightly softer lens than the Sony's, the increased resolution should still fair well compared to your 10MP LX3. And the ZS100/200 are significantly less costly than the Sony's.

Pre-owned cameras will be slightly cheaper if budget considerations are a factor.

I personally investigated potential replacements for my ZS19 which is my spare second camera. I am leaning toward the ZS200 for that purpose. On the other hand, if a small compact camera was my main camera, I would lean more for one of the Sony RX100's. However, my personal preference for a main camera is the larger form factor. But everyone's needs are different.

Go with what works best for you.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,781
Wow!

Spectacular image.

I have a Sony RX100-2.

Suggest you consider ergonomics. And Menus.

I added a grip to my Sony the first day I used it; if a good grip wasn't available I would have taken it back.  It's like carrying a wet bar of soap. Slippery.

Eronomics.

The strap loops on the sony are so small! I broke one of the strap connectors and threw both away.  I believe a wrist strap is essential. I use a Peak Design wrist strap, with their 3rd generation connector. BTW that connector was recalled by Peak Design and replaced.

Menus.

Oh my.  Sony.  It takes a while to learn how to navigate through the menus.  There's a learning curve.  I didn't find it intuitive. I read a lot.

Elliott Newcomb has taught me a lot here. Implementing his suggestions has made me much happier with the RX100-2.

I understand that the Sony RX100-7 has an incredible autofocus system. I can't afford that camera.

Have you considered an Olympus Tough camera?

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Canada

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 5,071
Re: Wow!

D Lynch wrote:

Spectacular image.

I have a Sony RX100-2.

Suggest you consider ergonomics. And Menus.

I added a grip to my Sony the first day I used it; if a good grip wasn't available I would have taken it back. It's like carrying a wet bar of soap. Slippery.

Eronomics.

The strap loops on the sony are so small! I broke one of the strap connectors and threw both away. I believe a wrist strap is essential. I use a Peak Design wrist strap, with their 3rd generation connector. BTW that connector was recalled by Peak Design and replaced.

Menus.

Oh my. Sony. It takes a while to learn how to navigate through the menus. There's a learning curve. I didn't find it intuitive. I read a lot.

Well, if one is afraid that one will not get along with the different user interface philosophy, it might make sense to start by buying the cheaper of the two first (or borrowing the more expensive of the two) in order to figure out whether one will be able to live with Sony cams for good.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
El Vuelo del Escorpion
OP El Vuelo del Escorpion Contributing Member • Posts: 759
Re: Wow!

Thank you all for taking your time to write your replies and for the information provided here. I will review it carefully and I'll keep you updated about my final decision.

Best regards

Óscar
Weddings & Couples https://mallorcainlove.es
Landscape https://500px.com/fingers1971
IG https://www.instagram.com/mallorca.in.love/
http://www.oscarlagarrotxa.com

El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list:El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,141

Hi,

a brother-in-law of mine is also into paragliding so I have a bit of an idea of what this sport may represent in terms of physical stress for the cam - not only bumps.

Owning myself the RX100Mk1 I have some doubts if the entire RX100 line would be the right tool for your purpose. Yes, the cam is light, compact and provides excellent image quality. But being that small it may be also fiddly in operation - and I imagine you wearing some type of gloves when flying, besides being somewhat occupied with controlling your paraglider.

When I've seen people carrying some bigger gear in paraglider flights those were guests in tandem flights. The pilots I've seen usually carry more compact gear, like GoPros. But If you're looking for better IQ then perhaps cams like the Sony ZV-1 or the RX-0 MkII might be worth to consider.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads