DP2Q vs Canon R5

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
DaveyS Forum Member • Posts: 86
DP2Q vs Canon R5

Just a bit of fun to see how the 2014 DP2Q holds up against the 2020 Canon R5, not bad for a $899 camera and lens!

https://i.postimg.cc/YqtrycMz/dp2r5.png

DaveyS's gear list:DaveyS's gear list
Sony a7R IV Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35
Canon EOS R5 Sigma dp2 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeffry7 Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: DP2Q vs Canon R5

Are these SooC JPEG?

OP DaveyS Forum Member • Posts: 86

Jeffry7 wrote:

Are these SooC JPEG?

No, ACR for the R5 and SPP for the DP2Q.

The DP2Q image was resized to match the R5.

xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 17,923

DaveyS wrote:

Just a bit of fun to see how the 2014 DP2Q holds up against the 2020 Canon R5, not bad for a $899 camera and lens!

Not bad at all.

I don't understand the volume numbers ... One pint is 568ml, not 550, and where does the 2.7 fl.oz come from ... is it the alcohol content or summat?

-- hide signature --

There are more ways to kill a dog than hanging.
English naturalist John Ray, 1678,
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more
Neil-O Contributing Member • Posts: 557

xpatUSA wrote:

DaveyS wrote:

Not bad at all.

I don't understand the volume numbers ... One pint is 568ml, not 550, and where does the 2.7 fl.oz come from ... is it the alcohol content or summat?

Nah then xpat, it's US pints tha kno's.

One US pint plus 2.7 fluid oz is 550 ml.

Ah'll sithee.

XYorkshire...

xpatUSA

Neil-O wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

DaveyS wrote:

Not bad at all.

Ah'll sithee.

XYorkshire...

Makes sense, bah goom ...

So, where at wuz 'em pitchers took?

-- hide signature --

Ted

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +13 more

xpatUSA wrote:

Neil-O wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

DaveyS wrote:

Not bad at all.

Ah'll sithee.

XYorkshire...

Ey up I wonder what Google translate made of that.

TBH when I saw these photos I was astonished, in fact I thought it must be some other "Samuel Smith", I mean, Sam Smith is probably the most "Yorkshire" of all our breweries, Sam Smiths Old Brewery Bitter is about as Yorkshire as you can get, it could only be more Yorkshire if you poured it into a straight glass, sat it in a Yorkshire pudding and stuck a flat cap on it.

The idea that they now brew lager and sell it to the Americans is just too much.

But I discover they've been at it for quite some time, albeit in disguise with some fancy German name until they came clean a few years ago.

I suppose we all have to move with the times but this is a bit like discovering your mother is a secret lap dancer.

xpatUSA

Neil-O wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Neil-O wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

DaveyS wrote:

Not bad at all.

Ah'll sithee.

XYorkshire...

Ey up I wonder what Google translate made of that.

TBH when I saw these photos I was astonished, in fact I thought it must be some other "Samuel Smith", I mean, Sam Smith is probably the most "Yorkshire" of all our breweries, Sam Smiths Old Brewery Bitter is about as Yorkshire as you can get, it could only be more Yorkshire if you poured it into a straight glass, sat it in a Yorkshire pudding and stuck a flat cap on it.

The idea that they now brew lager and sell it to the Americans is just too much.

But I discover they've been at it for quite some time, albeit in disguise with some fancy German name until they came clean a few years ago.

I suppose we all have to move with the times but this is a bit like discovering your mother is a secret lap dancer.

Vaguely following on from your Xlocal brewery, small breweries have become popular hereabouts and one, Karbach, makes quite a heady double-brewed IPA at over 9% alc.by.volume!

https://www.karbachbrewing.com/

-- hide signature --

Ted

allineedislight Contributing Member • Posts: 761

DaveyS wrote:

did you take this image yourself?

If it was taken from Imaging Resource, the most basic thing would be to mention this (fair use).

Furthermore, they state pretty clearly:

"Individuals who have themselves downloaded the image files may make prints from those files as an aid to their personal evaluation of the performance of the camera(s) involved. Other than this explicit usage, the images may not be published, reproduced, or distributed in print or electronic and/or digital media, or linked or otherwise referenced on the internet or other digital information networks without the express written consent of The Imaging Resource."

Supposedly you have permission to reproduce this here?

allineedislight's gear list:allineedislight's gear list
Sigma DP2s Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +1 more
OP DaveyS Forum Member • Posts: 86

allineedislight wrote:

DaveyS wrote:

If it was taken from Imaging Resource, the most basic thing would be to mention this (fair use).

"Individuals who have themselves downloaded the image files may make prints from those files as an aid to their personal evaluation of the performance of the camera(s) involved. Other than this explicit usage, the images may not be published, reproduced, or distributed in print or electronic and/or digital media, or linked or otherwise referenced on the internet or other digital information networks without the express written consent of The Imaging Resource."

Rebel SL1, LOL, my 6 year old has one of them!

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,030

I love the name of that beer Ted. lol

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Scottelly

allineedislight wrote:

DaveyS wrote:

Seriously?

Here you go then:

Sigma SD Quattro H vs Canon R5

As we all know here, the Sigma image was not processed optimally, nor did I scale it properly. (I just zoomed in on both of them, using Preview, and did a screen-capture.) Still, I'd say it holds up pretty well for a 25.5 MP image vs a 45 MP image.

Here's another:

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
xpatUSA

Scottelly wrote:

As we all know here, the Sigma image was not processed optimally, nor did I scale it properly. (I just zoomed in on both of them, using Preview, and did a screen-capture.) Still, I'd say it holds up pretty well for a 25.5 MP image vs a 45 MP image.

Also the first good demonstration I've seen of the capture of "subtle shades" of Foveon vs Bayer, see upper right. Converting the image to just a Hue Layer, the Quattro spread of hues is wider in that area.

-- hide signature --

Ted

Which is which?

I presumed the Sigma is on the left but if it is I'm surprised how much better those images look compared to the ones on the right.

Scottelly

Neil-O wrote:

Which is which?

I presumed the Sigma is on the left but if it is I'm surprised how much better those images look compared to the ones on the right.

You can tell by the names Neil. The one on the left has a name that starts with SDIM. That usually indicates it was shot with a Sigma camera. My files begin with SDQH. Usually Merrill files begin with SDIM. I don't know why the SD Quattro H file here begins with SDIM. Maybe that is because the sample image was made when the camera first came on the market, and my camera has newer firmware. Anyway, the image on the right is the one from the Canon. It doesn't look like it was sharpened as much as the image on the left. I think most people oversharpen images from Sigma cameras. In fact, I think Sigma cameras oversharpen the images. That's why I always use Portrait color mode. (I get the least amount of sharpening, when using Portrait mode. Yes, I turn the sharpness all the way down in the camera too, and my photos still look oversharpened. SPP is better. You can pretty much turn off sharpening in SPP, so the images don't look oversharpened - even in Landscape color mode.)

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

xpatUSA

Scottelly wrote:

Neil-O wrote:

Which is which?

You can tell by the names Neil. The one on the left has a name that starts with SDIM. That usually indicates it was shot with a Sigma camera. My files begin with SDQH. Usually Merrill files begin with SDIM. I don't know why the SD Quattro H file here begins with SDIM. Maybe that is because the sample image was made when the camera first came on the market, and my camera has newer firmware. Anyway, the image on the right is the one from the Canon. It doesn't look like it was sharpened as much as the image on the left. I think most people oversharpen images from Sigma cameras. In fact, I think Sigma cameras oversharpen the images.

A bit too all-encompassing, Scott.

Although it may well apply to Quattro/SPP6, I showed here long ago that SD1M/SPP5 shows neutral sharpening at about -0.6 in high-res for a good slant-edge.

-- hide signature --

Ted

Scottelly wrote:

Neil-O wrote:

Which is which?

You can tell by the names Neil. The one on the left has a name that starts with SDIM. That usually indicates it was shot with a Sigma camera. My files begin with SDQH. Usually Merrill files begin with SDIM. I don't know why the SD Quattro H file here begins with SDIM. Maybe that is because the sample image was made when the camera first came on the market, and my camera has newer firmware. Anyway, the image on the right is the one from the Canon. It doesn't look like it was sharpened as much as the image on the left. I think most people oversharpen images from Sigma cameras. In fact, I think Sigma cameras oversharpen the images. That's why I always use Portrait color mode. (I get the least amount of sharpening, when using Portrait mode. Yes, I turn the sharpness all the way down in the camera too, and my photos still look oversharpened. SPP is better. You can pretty much turn off sharpening in SPP, so the images don't look oversharpened - even in Landscape color mode.)

Yes I see now Scott - those jpeg numbers look really small to my aged eyes though... Maybe I'm in no position to judge the quality of the pictures!

I totally agree about sharpening, with such high resolution most of the time there's no need for it.  I always turn down the slider in SPP but I do run the tiff files through Topaz Sharpen which often brings out even more detail without creating that synthetic look you often get from oversharpening.

xpatUSA

Neil-O wrote:

I totally agree about sharpening, with such high resolution most of the time there's no need for it. I always turn down the slider in SPP but I do run the tiff files through Topaz Sharpen which often brings out even more detail without creating that synthetic look you often get from oversharpening.

"It all depends on what the meaning of 'brings out' is" ...

... to paraphrase our Bill "Ah never had inahpropriate relations with that woman ..."

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA wrote:

Neil-O wrote:

I totally agree about sharpening, with such high resolution most of the time there's no need for it. I always turn down the slider in SPP but I do run the tiff files through Topaz Sharpen which often brings out even more detail without creating that synthetic look you often get from oversharpening.

"It all depends on what the meaning of 'brings out' is" ...

... to paraphrase our Bill "Ah never had inahpropriate relations with that woman ..."

Ha ha, poor old Bill - he should just have said he was at Pizza Hut with his kids at the time, he'd have got away with that.

Scottelly

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

Neil-O wrote:

Which is which?

You can tell by the names Neil. The one on the left has a name that starts with SDIM. That usually indicates it was shot with a Sigma camera. My files begin with SDQH. Usually Merrill files begin with SDIM. I don't know why the SD Quattro H file here begins with SDIM. Maybe that is because the sample image was made when the camera first came on the market, and my camera has newer firmware. Anyway, the image on the right is the one from the Canon. It doesn't look like it was sharpened as much as the image on the left. I think most people oversharpen images from Sigma cameras. In fact, I think Sigma cameras oversharpen the images.

A bit too all-encompassing, Scott.

Although it may well apply to Quattro/SPP6, I showed here long ago that SD1M/SPP5 shows neutral sharpening at about -0.6 in high-res for a good slant-edge.

Sorry Ted. Yeah, I was referring to the Quattro cameras. My SD1 Merrill makes such horrendous OOC jpegs that I don't even post them or consider them usable for much of anything. In fact, they're so bad that I almost decided to shoot in just raw, rather than raw+jpg. I rarely shoot that camera now anyway though, so I have almost forgotten about the poor Merrill.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads