Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
tonybelding Senior Member • Posts: 1,086
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Overrank wrote:

I doubt any new camera will be made at the prices people are prepared to pay - all the new cameras are at the very bottom end, are Instax type or are Leica prices

I agree that there's a huge gap between Lomo and Leica, but I don't think it's because no product in that space can be viable.  IMHO that gap is an opportunity for whatever company goes after it.

tonybelding's gear list:tonybelding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q7 Sony a7 +1 more
smithim Senior Member • Posts: 1,657

cptrios wrote:

When you say "I still have all of my film cameras," do you mean the ones you've had since the film days?

Yes, indeed...

Now, of course I'm going for deals and not, for example, buying from Japanese sellers who give extremely detailed condition descriptions, so there are bound to be issues.

Well, quite.... If you want reasonable quality, you usually have to pay for it....

If someone made a new GA645, for instance, I'd probably pay $1200 for that (not that it'd be that cheap) rather than $800 for an old one that's got an expiration date.

If they did, it would probably cost a lot more than $1200, as you say. As Nikon have stopped making F6's, presumably because it's uneconomic to do so, I wouldn't bet on a new, cheap, quality film camera anytime soon....

Doc Pockets New Member • Posts: 8

Back in 2005-2007 I took great advantage of the film gear being dumped for digital. Scoured high and low for all the best-conditioned medium-format I could get.  Mint and above gear.  I had bought my first RB 67 kit back in 1973.  I just added massively to what I had.  Everything I could ever want for the RB system was purchased by the end of 2007 for a lot cheaper than what is being asked for questionable-conditioned gear today.  I bought parts bodies and two to three each of my favorite lenses.  I'd already amassed quite a collection of  Nikon motored 35mm when I left UPI and AFP Beirut back in the mid-eighties.  7 F2s and 8 F3s, 37 lenses,  I've kept all that.  My last film gear purchase was a brand new pair of 100-200mm zooms with supports for my fleet of Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD cameras from a dealer in Japan for 238 dollars, shipping included, in May of 2007. They sold here in the US for well over two grand a decade earlier. I had saved since 2003 knowing digital was going to rule.  The pickings are getting slimmer each day and the prices are getting higher. Buy it now even if you think you won't use it later.  When the time comes you want to use it  the gear will be there.

alex_virt Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

tesla23 wrote:

Manufacturers are producing everything but cameras and with a strong decline in servicing shops, I wonder where all of this is going?

Besides, let me just share some current prices of some random cameras I’ve seen on German eBay - please remember these are used items with no real idea how long they will last before they croak.

contax T2 - 2000$ average

yashica t4 - 350$

olympus xa - 120$
That’s just all crazy and will sooner or later go down The shitter.

Forget those overpriced and overhyped cameras loved by hipsters. "Your camera doesn't matter" © Ken Rockwell. It is just a lighttight box. The things that matter are: your photographer skills, films and lenses. There are lots of inexpensive film SLRs ca. 1990-2000 capable of working with modern lenses. Buy several cameras compatible with your lenses and you will be all set for decades to come

Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,227

tonybelding wrote:

Overrank wrote:

I doubt any new camera will be made at the prices people are prepared to pay - all the new cameras are at the very bottom end, are Instax type or are Leica prices

I agree that there's a huge gap between Lomo and Leica, but I don't think it's because no product in that space can be viable. IMHO that gap is an opportunity for whatever company goes after it.

But how much would you pay for a new FM3a (say) ? It would be £1000+ (given the necessary small run).   You can buy 3 or 4 FM2ns and have a couple serviced for that.  Unfortunately the sums don’t work in the middle ground, only at the bottom or top end. Of course I’d love to be proved wrong.....

Maybe as all the new photographers move towards phones or film, and digital becomes for high end amateurs or professionals (which it pretty much is moving to now) a company like Nikon might produce something, but it would have to be better than the FM10.

alex_virt wrote:

Forget those overpriced and overhyped cameras loved by hipsters. "Your camera doesn't matter" © Ken Rockwell. It is just a lighttight box.

Much as I love Ken Rockwell that’s only true in the middle, at the edges it’s very bad advice. Ask anyone who’s taken a 10 x 8 to record a football match, or a Minox to shoot a landscape that’ll be blown up to wall size.

The things that matter are: your photographer skills, films and lenses. There are lots of inexpensive film SLRs ca. 1990-2000 capable of working with modern lenses. Buy several cameras compatible with your lenses and you will be all set for decades to come

cptrios Senior Member • Posts: 1,525

Overrank wrote:

alex_virt wrote:

Forget those overpriced and overhyped cameras loved by hipsters. "Your camera doesn't matter" © Ken Rockwell. It is just a lighttight box.

Much as I love Ken Rockwell that’s only true in the middle, at the edges it’s very bad advice. Ask anyone who’s taken a 10 x 8 to record a football match, or a Minox to shoot a landscape that’ll be blown up to wall size.

I'm pretty sure I could get a 20x30 out of my Minox!

cptrios's gear list:cptrios's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-7 +4 more

cptrios wrote:

Overrank wrote:

alex_virt wrote:

I’m sure you can (although I struggle to get more than a 6cm x 4cm out of my Minox) and  there’s some photographing Formula One on a 5 x 4 - https://petapixel.com/2017/05/13/photographer-shoots-f1-1913-graflex-4x5-view-camera/ but you wouldn’t start from there !

But I agree with the general point,   a Contax T2 at £1,500 will not turn my photo of a cat into a Pulitzer Prize winner.

tonybelding Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

alex_virt wrote:

Forget those overpriced and overhyped cameras loved by hipsters. "Your camera doesn't matter" © Ken Rockwell. It is just a lighttight box. The things that matter are: your photographer skills, films and lenses. There are lots of inexpensive film SLRs ca. 1990-2000 capable of working with modern lenses. Buy several cameras compatible with your lenses and you will be all set for decades to come

I guess I could buy half a dozen Pentax ZX-5n bodies off fleaBay for $50 each, always take at least two with me when I travel, and then discard them in sequence as they break down.

It's just not the way that most of us are accustomed to managing our gear.

tonybelding's gear list:tonybelding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q7 Sony a7 +1 more

cptrios wrote:

Overrank wrote:

alex_virt wrote:

"Film is always sharp" © Ken Rockwell

tonybelding wrote:

alex_virt wrote:

I guess I could buy half a dozen Pentax ZX-5n bodies off fleaBay for $50 each, always take at least two with me when I travel, and then discard them in sequence as they break down.

Exactly!

marc petzold
marc petzold Senior Member • Posts: 1,576

Overrank wrote:

I’m sure you can (although I struggle to get more than a 6cm x 4cm out of my Minox) and there’s some photographing Formula One on a 5 x 4 - https://petapixel.com/2017/05/13/photographer-shoots-f1-1913-graflex-4x5-view-camera/ but you wouldn’t start from there !

But I agree with the general point, a Contax T2 at £1,500 will not turn my photo of a cat into a Pulitzer Prize winner.

It's totally overpriced ! And a usual Zeiss 38/2.8 Sonnar Lens. That happens, when so called "Celebrities" posing around with this, into some Talkshow, born after the Release of the Camera, but "Look Ma, i got a flashy Film Camera!" Type of Woman. Sheesh.

-
"The Best Camera is the One That's with You" ~ Chase Jarvis

marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7 +57 more

marc petzold wrote:

Overrank wrote:

I’m sure you can (although I struggle to get more than a 6cm x 4cm out of my Minox) and there’s some photographing Formula One on a 5 x 4 - https://petapixel.com/2017/05/13/photographer-shoots-f1-1913-graflex-4x5-view-camera/ but you wouldn’t start from there !

But I agree with the general point, a Contax T2 at £1,500 will not turn my photo of a cat into a Pulitzer Prize winner.

It's totally overpriced ! And a usual Zeiss 38/2.8 Sonnar Lens. That happens, when so called "Celebrities" posing around with this, into some Talkshow, born after the Release of the Camera, but "Look Ma, i got a flashy Film Camera!" Type of Woman. Sheesh.

-
"The Best Camera is the One That's with You" ~ Chase Jarvis

My favorite are the 500 "Best Film Point & Shoots" articles that only list the T2, Yashica T4, Olympus MJU-II, etc. etc. because the author either has loads of financial resources or has never actually used any other film P&Ss and just looked at all the other articles with the same title.

Box o rocks New Member • Posts: 9

But will the film?

Box o rocks's gear list:Box o rocks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Pentax Q10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +1 more

Thanks for pointing this out.

So far, I have not figured out how to make my own film.

So I too am at the mercy of the "Tragically Hip" who started the whole

mess.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Pentax Q10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +1 more
Re: There are plenty of film cameras still being made.

Dose anyone here remember when film disappeared?

I mean really hard to find.

Not that long ago.

It only reappeared because of some toboggan wearing hipster discovered an old camera and it became a movement of sorts.

Even producing new 110 film.

How ironic can one person be?

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,651

Box o rocks wrote:

Not that long ago.

It only reappeared because of some toboggan wearing hipster discovered an old camera and it became a movement of sorts.

Back with another I see.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Z7 +16 more

Box o rocks wrote:

Not that long ago.

TIL a toboggan isn't just a sled.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads