Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,811
SURE, come to Cleveland, Ohio and I'll take you to pawn shops - n.t.

cptrios wrote:

BrownieVet wrote:

Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Many Pawn shops here in the USA sell those for as little as just 10% of the price you posted.

Could you point a few of those out to me please? Preferably in the greater Boston area?

Daft Punk Contributing Member • Posts: 899
Re: There are plenty of film cameras still being made.

BTW legacy is just another word that means obsolete.

Errrr... no.  It's not.

Not at all.

Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,444
Re: SURE, come to Cleveland, Ohio and I'll take you to pawn shops - n.t.

BrownieVet wrote:

cptrios wrote:

BrownieVet wrote:

Many Pawn shops here in the USA sell those for as little as just 10% of the price you posted.

Could you point a few of those out to me please? Preferably in the greater Boston area?

Are they the ones where there’s a regular supply of Contax T2s for $200 and Olympus Mju ii f/2.8s for $20 ? In normal times it’d be worth the flight !

c-d-embrey wrote:

Used bodies only sell at a premium if you buy from ebay.

In the U.K. most camera shops I’ve been to set a price based on eBay prices for something old.  I’ve bought for around 10% below eBay prices from a shop but I’ve never seen anywhere regularly selling stuff much less than eBay.

I’m not including charity shops since (a) in the U.K. they seem to not sell film cameras anymore in local shops, they all go on eBay, and (b) it’s pretty random, a £5 Leica one day, a £25 Halina the next.

Greg OH Regular Member • Posts: 439

Aside from hobbyist cameras like Holga and Diana, there isn't a market for new cameras. Millions of perfectly good cameras already exist, and they can be serviced, even if not by the manufacturer.

The handful of professionals still using film can buy new or near-new Nikon F6's. Others just wanting great images on film can get 90's era Canons and Nikons that can accept the latest and greatest DSLR lenses.

Many people want something from the past, either what they had, or what they wish they had. Those are readily available, and most cost so little that having them serviced is still a great value. Sure, there are high-priced collectables, but for every Contax, there are 100 Canon, Nikon, or Minoltas available for 1/10 their original price.

Even pro-level medium format is now affordable, if not as cheap as 35mm.

There is also now eBay, allowing you to locate any camera, including the rarest ever made. I grew up in the 1970's, and remember ad for the Pentax K2-DMD. It wasn't remotely in my price range. If I wanted one now, it could be mine with a few clicks of the mouse, despite it being fairly rare. I did have a Nikon FE, and recently acquired another with the same lenses at a very modest cost.

All in all, I'd say this is a great time to shoot film. The threat isn't running out of cameras--it's running out of film.

Greg OH's gear list:Greg OH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix S 85mm F1.8 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS +4 more
cptrios Senior Member • Posts: 1,530

Overrank wrote:

c-d-embrey wrote:

In the U.K. most camera shops I’ve been to set a price based on eBay prices for something old. I’ve bought for around 10% below eBay prices from a shop but I’ve never seen anywhere regularly selling stuff much less than eBay.

I’m not including charity shops since (a) in the U.K. they seem to not sell film cameras anymore in local shops, they all go on eBay, and (b) it’s pretty random, a £5 Leica one day, a £25 Halina the next.

I don't really know what it's like around here anymore, since I haven't been in a small shop since the pandemic started, but in my experience here in MA/ME, cameras in antiques stores etc. tend to be junk models or in terrible shape. And if you own an antiques/pawn/thrift shop these days, I feel like you're basically in dereliction of duty if you don't either sell stuff like this on eBay or base your prices on sold listings.

cptrios's gear list:cptrios's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +4 more

cptrios wrote:

Overrank wrote:

c-d-embrey wrote:

In the U.K. most camera shops I’ve been to set a price based on eBay prices for something old. I’ve bought for around 10% below eBay prices from a shop but I’ve never seen anywhere regularly selling stuff much less than eBay.

I don't really know what it's like around here anymore, since I haven't been in a small shop since the pandemic started, but in my experience here in MA/ME, cameras in antiques stores etc. tend to be junk models or in terrible shape. And if you own an antiques/pawn/thrift shop these days, I feel like you're basically in dereliction of duty if you don't either sell stuff like this on eBay or base your prices on sold listings.

The few charity shops here selling cameras tend to only have fixed lens point and shoots like you’d get free with breakfast cereal in the 1990s, but with a silly price tag on it.   Most sell on eBay and I get the feeling with charity shops in the U.K. that they put cameras on eBay rather than selling them in store to demonstrate they’re getting the best price on them.

smithim Senior Member • Posts: 1,679

Overrank wrote:

I get the feeling with charity shops in the U.K. that they put cameras on eBay rather than selling them in store to demonstrate they’re getting the best price on them.

AIUI most charity shops have someone doing a roll through looking for potentially valuable items... They do this with books, as well, using different online stores to sell them...

smithim wrote:

Overrank wrote:

I get the feeling with charity shops in the U.K. that they put cameras on eBay rather than selling them in store to demonstrate they’re getting the best price on them.

AIUI most charity shops have someone doing a roll through looking for potentially valuable items... They do this with books, as well, using different online stores to sell them...

Most of the charity shop stuff I’ve bought from eBay has been pretty good and the descriptions are good, so I’ve come to that conclusion too.  Not necessarily absolutely expensive but will get a good price rather than no one bidding on it.

smithim wrote:

Overrank wrote:

I certainly hope that's true. There's one a 10-minute walk from me, and everything I've ever seen there has been more or less accurately priced (they also put things they think are high-value in the front windows for a weekly write-your-price-in-a-book auction). I did once buy a Sebastiao Salgado book there for $2 that I've seen go on eBay for anywhere from $50-350...but I wanted the book, and if I feel like getting rid of it I'll donate it back to them.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Re: The Future is bright because there are loads of great, cheap cameras...

Daft Punk escribió:

Con respecto al malarkey de Leica, vendí mi M6 porque alguien me ofreció el doble de lo que había pagado por él.

Una de las razones por las que lo vendí fue la Pentax Spotmatic. Esta pequeña y humilde cámara cuesta apenas más de 2 rollos de película, pero tiene muchas de las mismas cualidades que la Leica: una estructura metálica encantadora, un obturador sedoso y un viento metálico suave y sedoso en la manivela. El vidrio Pentax también es genial y muy barato.

Tanto una Leica de $ 2000 como una Pentax de $ 20 son cajas de metal con un obturador para exponer algo de HP5 o Portra 400 en lo que a mí respecta. Ambos son agradables de sostener y divertidos de disparar.

Pasé una semana en las Tierras Altas de Escocia con el dinero de la venta de la Leica y tomé excelentes imágenes con la Pentax. Desde entonces he caído en la madriguera del formato medio, pero esa es otra historia ...

Jjajajajajaa 

Jvlahakis
Jvlahakis Senior Member • Posts: 1,019

Just got my hands on mint Nikon F100.  There are so many deals out there.  Film cameras were built like tanks.  Not a lot of electronics to go bad.  Personally, I think someone will come along and release a new film camera.  It’s bound to happen.

Jvlahakis's gear list:Jvlahakis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 50R Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +12 more
matteroner
matteroner Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

Jvlahakis wrote:

Just got my hands on mint Nikon F100. There are so many deals out there. Film cameras were built like tanks. Not a lot of electronics to go bad. Personally, I think someone will come along and release a new film camera. It’s bound to happen.

It's the only segment of the market that is growing.  The money being paid for certain cameras is out of control.

matteroner's gear list:matteroner's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 6D +11 more
Jvlahakis
Jvlahakis Senior Member • Posts: 1,019

Totally Agree!

Jvlahakis's gear list:Jvlahakis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 50R Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +12 more

Jvlahakis wrote:

Just got my hands on mint Nikon F100. There are so many deals out there. Film cameras were built like tanks. Not a lot of electronics to go bad. Personally, I think someone will come along and release a new film camera. It’s bound to happen.

For example

https://shop.lomography.com/cameras

tonybelding Senior Member • Posts: 1,088

Jvlahakis wrote:

Built like tanks?  Some were, maybe, but not all by any means.  Also, some of the later and more sophisticated, and full-featured cameras, with more electronics, are the ones most likely to fail.  Not everybody wants to shoot with an Argus C4 or a 1950s folder with no light meter and an uncoupled rangefinder.  Well, not all the time!

My favorite SLR "back in the day" was the Sears KS-2 (Ricoh XR7) that I learned on.  It's a classic, and you can pick them up for peanuts on eBay.  However, getting one that is fully functional with the light meter and in-viewfinder LCD working is a roll of the dice — and that's after replacing the rotted foam seals, which is always required.

Another favorite is the Pentax ZX-5n or MZ-3.  It's compact and lightweight, autofocus, has a great control layout (which Fujifilm seem to have copied for their digital bodies), and a perfect match for those Pentax-FA Limited lenses that are still in production.  However, there is an actuator gear made of plastic that becomes brittle with age, and lot of them have broken.  It's possible to replace, but you have to detail-strip the entire camera (with lots of de-soldering!) to access it.

Another favorite was my Ricoh Diacord G, medium format TLR.  I found a lovely, super well-preserved one on eBay, shot some rolls through it, enjoyed it.  The aperture control was stiff, but I just thought that was normal — until it broke.  I contacted a repair shop, and the reply I got was basically:  Who cares?  Not worth repairing.  Go away and buy another Diacord G off eBay for $50.

None of these are good experiences.  This is not what most of us are used to.  I would welcome a new, decent quality film camera, and I do mean something other than a Leica or a plastic Lomo toy.  I think some camera company will step back into film cameras.  It might be Fujifilm (they do still make film, after all!), or it might be Pentax (they do have those FA lenses!), or it might be Cosina-Voigtländer.

tonybelding's gear list:tonybelding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q7 Sony a7 +1 more
smithim Senior Member • Posts: 1,679

tonybelding wrote:

None of these are good experiences.

Well, no...

This is not what most of us are used to.

If you buy cameras (some quite obscure) with particular design issues then it's hardly surprising, though, surely?

I still have all of my film cameras - 35mm, 6x4.5 and 6x6 - and they all continue to work perfectly when I check them out. Most are Nikons, but also include Bronica, Rollei etc.

So there are plenty of reliable good quality cameras around on the used market.

A film camera that can be repaired until the end of time? Buy Leica.

smithim wrote:

tonybelding wrote:

Well, no...

If you buy cameras (some quite obscure) with particular design issues then it's hardly surprising, though, surely?

I still have all of my film cameras - 35mm, 6x4.5 and 6x6 - and they all continue to work perfectly when I check them out. Most are Nikons, but also include Bronica, Rollei etc.

When you say "I still have all of my film cameras," do you mean the ones you've had since the film days? Because those would be single-owner units that were used frequently and (I assume) stored well, and not necessarily reflective of what's available on the market. I, for example, have bought ten film cameras in the last four or so months, and only one of them turned out to be completely functional. I've sold or returned most of them, fixed one myself, and had another CLA'd for $200...which I wouldn't have done if the seller hadn't given me an almost complete refund after it didn't work.

Now, of course I'm going for deals and not, for example, buying from Japanese sellers who give extremely detailed condition descriptions, so there are bound to be issues. It's part of the fun, really, as long as I'm not spending a ton of money. Unfortunately, a ton of money is what a lot of the quality, reliable, usable stuff costs.  And even the reliable stuff is going to die eventually. If someone made a new GA645, for instance, I'd probably pay $1200 for that (not that it'd be that cheap) rather than $800 for an old one that's got an expiration date.

cptrios wrote:

smithim wrote:

tonybelding wrote:

Well, no...

When you say "I still have all of my film cameras," do you mean the ones you've had since the film days? Because those would be single-owner units that were used frequently and (I assume) stored well, and not necessarily reflective of what's available on the market. I, for example, have bought ten film cameras in the last four or so months, and only one of them turned out to be completely functional. I've sold or returned most of them, fixed one myself, and had another CLA'd for $200...which I wouldn't have done if the seller hadn't given me an almost complete refund after it didn't work.

Now, of course I'm going for deals and not, for example, buying from Japanese sellers who give extremely detailed condition descriptions, so there are bound to be issues. It's part of the fun, really, as long as I'm not spending a ton of money. Unfortunately, a ton of money is what a lot of the quality, reliable, usable stuff costs. And even the reliable stuff is going to die eventually. If someone made a new GA645, for instance, I'd probably pay $1200 for that (not that it'd be that cheap) rather than $800 for an old one that's got an expiration date.

Over the past few years I’ve bought something like 10 Nikon F75s from eBay.  I’ve had no  issues with any of them apart from the sticky rubber problem which is well known about.  Of course the F75 was introduced something like 2003 and discontinued in 2006 so it’s pretty new.  The cheapest of these was less than £3.  I would suspect they all only had one owner who put a couple of rolls of film through them and then bought a digital camera.

I doubt any new camera will be made at the prices people are prepared to pay - all the new cameras are at the very bottom end, are Instax type or are Leica prices

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads