Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,964
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
2

tesla23 wrote:

- more new 35mm cameras, especially premium models (except for Leica of course)

It'll never happen. Film cameras are a dead-end for the manufacturer -- (except maybe Fuji) because they are not consumable items. Digital is a better business prospect because it is the consumable item -- especially high-end ones which get replaced often.

Aaron

All of this will result in a drop of price of half-assed used cameras at ridiculous prices and create an overall better user experience.

You are insisting the prices are ridiculous, and yet you've got people here who are actually purchasing these cameras and telling you that's not the case.

I am just not willing to drop serious money for a used camera with no ability to fix it.

Again, you're insisting there is no ability fix a used camera, when you've got people here who are actually getting cameras repaired and telling you that's not the case.

You seem to be convinced that used cameras are too expensive and not repairable. You don't seem to want to hear anything to the contrary. I don't mean to seem unfriendly to a new user, but why have this conversation on a discussion board if you're going to reject everything people tell you? I would think you'd be happy to learn that your suppositions about used cameras are wrong.

Next thing you'll be telling us film and developing are prohibitively expensive.

Lighten up, my new friend -- the used-camera purchase and repair scene is better than you think it is! Isn't that good news?

Aaron

-- hide signature --
Daft Punk Contributing Member • Posts: 899
The Future is bright because there are loads of great, cheap cameras...
4

Re the Leica malarkey,  I sold my M6 because someone offered me twice what I had paid for it.

One of the reasons I sold it was the Pentax Spotmatic.  This humble little camera cost barely more than 2 rolls of film but it has many of the same qualities as the Leica - a lovely metal build, silky shutter and a smooth silky metal wind on crank.  Pentax glass is great too and very cheap.

Both a $2000 Leica and a $20 Pentax are metal boxes with a shutter to expose some HP5 or Portra 400 as far as I am concerned.  Both are nice to hold and enjoyable to shoot.

I spent a week in the Highlands of Scotland with the money from selling the Leica and took some great images with the Pentax.   I have since gone down the medium format rabbit hole, but that's another story..

eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
1

I think your digital nikon will go down "The shitter" as you say, long before my 35rc's will.

Barry Duggan Photography
Barry Duggan Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,224
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
2

The future is bleak im afraid. You're right, theres hardly any new film cameras being produced, and lets face it, film photographers are a tiny fraction of photography in todays world. Everything has a life - cameras will eventually die. Photography has, like everything else, evolved.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Barry.
Website - barryduggan.com
Email - barrydduggan@gmail.com
Twitter - @barrydduggan

 Barry Duggan Photography's gear list:Barry Duggan Photography's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +5 more
OP tesla23 Contributing Member • Posts: 546
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
1

Wow, you literally commented on every comment I made..the nerve of you 😂

 tesla23's gear list:tesla23's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D
Daft Punk Contributing Member • Posts: 899
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
2

tesla23 wrote:

Wow, you literally commented on every comment I made..the nerve of you 😂

I think that’s because everyone seems to fundamentally disagree with your view !

matteroner
matteroner Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
1

I would be more concerned about the film production vs cameras.  But you'll probably be good for the next 20 to 40 years.  Film is in a nostalgic resurgence and it will begin to fizzle eventually.

 matteroner's gear list:matteroner's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +11 more
marc petzold
marc petzold Senior Member • Posts: 1,595
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

tesla23 wrote:

Again, these cameras are decades old and most can’t even be serviced! As an analog shooter, this concerns me, especially because the prices have went up ridiculously because of this.

You have no idea seriously! there are enough people out there, who could service Film Cameras. It seems you're just here to troll around the Film Photography Forum.

FYI, Good Luck to find a specific Card Reader to read your SD, CF, XQD Card, etc. from 30+ years further away into the Future ! Film could still being developed, and could even being printed from Negatives, even after Decades.

And if you might be old enough, you do knew exactly the Circumstances, when you do have a Backup from xyz month/year, but it is damaged, no more readable, recoverable, and the RAW Files are all lost with digital.

No offense.

-- hide signature --

"The Best Camera is the One That's with You" ~ Chase Jarvis

 marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7 +57 more
neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,998
Is the Covid 19 lockdowns causing cabin fever ?
1

marc petzold wrote:

tesla23 wrote:

Again, these cameras are decades old and most can’t even be serviced! As an analog shooter, this concerns me, especially because the prices have went up ridiculously because of this.

You have no idea seriously! there are enough people out there, who could service Film Cameras. It seems you're just here to troll around the Film Photography Forum.

FYI, Good Luck to find a specific Card Reader to read your SD, CF, XQD Card, etc. from 30+ years further away into the Future ! Film could still being developed, and could even being printed from Negatives, even after Decades.

And if you might be old enough, you do knew exactly the Circumstances, when you do have a Backup from xyz month/year, but it is damaged, no more readable, recoverable, and the RAW Files are all lost with digital.

No offense.

The funny part is in the O.P where he says

"Besides, let me just share some current prices of some random cameras I’ve seen on German eBay"

And then specifically ( at random apparently !) selects the few most over priced , over hyped up cameras going !

And ignores the other 99.999% of used film cameras on the market that are in good condition and full working order , and are reliable as well .

Silly .

 neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +43 more
marc petzold
marc petzold Senior Member • Posts: 1,595
Re: Is the Covid 19 lockdowns causing cabin fever ?
1

neilt3 wrote:

marc petzold wrote:

tesla23 wrote:

Again, these cameras are decades old and most can’t even be serviced! As an analog shooter, this concerns me, especially because the prices have went up ridiculously because of this.

You have no idea seriously! there are enough people out there, who could service Film Cameras. It seems you're just here to troll around the Film Photography Forum.

FYI, Good Luck to find a specific Card Reader to read your SD, CF, XQD Card, etc. from 30+ years further away into the Future ! Film could still being developed, and could even being printed from Negatives, even after Decades.

And if you might be old enough, you do knew exactly the Circumstances, when you do have a Backup from xyz month/year, but it is damaged, no more readable, recoverable, and the RAW Files are all lost with digital.

No offense.

The funny part is in the O.P where he says

"Besides, let me just share some current prices of some random cameras I’ve seen on German eBay"

And then specifically ( at random apparently !) selects the few most over priced , over hyped up cameras going !

And ignores the other 99.999% of used film cameras on the market that are in good condition and full working order , and are reliable as well .

Silly .

Exactly.  And that tesla Guy listed only 3 Film Cameras, some infamous Celebrities are being using. Seriously Silly.

Good Light.

-- hide signature --

"The Best Camera is the One That's with You" ~ Chase Jarvis

 marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7 +57 more
matteroner
matteroner Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: Is the Covid 19 lockdowns causing cabin fever ?

Yeah what about an olympus om1 or Leica r series.  Great 35mm options.  Hasselblad 500c or cm are pretty cheap for medium format.  Intrepid for your large format needs.

But if you want whatever Matt Day started using last week then your gonna pay the hype price.

 matteroner's gear list:matteroner's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +11 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,964
Re: The Future is bright because there are loads of great, cheap cameras...

Daft Punk wrote:

Both a $2000 Leica and a $20 Pentax are metal boxes with a shutter to expose some HP5 or Portra 400 as far as I am concerned. Both are nice to hold and enjoyable to shoot.

I've never shot with a Leica. A friend told me about another friend who sold a bunch of film gear to fund one Leica, and always regretted it. From 20 cameras that were okay, he went to one camera that was okay.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 59,704
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
1

The future of analog is not dependent on new film cameras. Rather it is dependent on how long and how much will companies continue to make film to fit the existing old film cameras that can be kept working.

 mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
1

None of this really matters, I shoot film because it looks a lot better than digital, not because my cameras will work indefinitely, or film will be made 50 years from now. These are not the reasons people use it, it doesn't even sound right as some kind of benefit of digital. Who cares? This kind of pearl clutching has been going on for 20 years.

Greg OH Regular Member • Posts: 444
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

I bought a Nikon N80 for $40, which can use lenses still made new for DSLRs. And, there are millions like it sitting in drawers all over the world.

 Greg OH's gear list:Greg OH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Samyang 24mm F1.4 Samyang 35mm F1.4 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS +4 more
BG28
BG28 Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

tesla23 wrote:

Side note: my M6 has nearly doubled in price in the last 3 years so I wonder how much demand is there

Probably a lot of demand for an M6. It's one of the purely mechanical bodies, right? Those are the cameras that tend to last, and are able to be serviced still today. Leica, especially, has great service support ($$$!).

Also, with a Leica, you've got to take into account that it's a luxury item. They have their own rules. Luxury items don't need scarcity to jack up the price; a high price is part of what makes it a luxury item in the first place because you're paying for exclusivity. And like someone else mentioned, there's the collectible factor.

 BG28's gear list:BG28's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,471
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
1

BG28 wrote:

tesla23 wrote:

Side note: my M6 has nearly doubled in price in the last 3 years so I wonder how much demand is there

Probably a lot of demand for an M6. It's one of the purely mechanical bodies, right? Those are the cameras that tend to last, and are able to be serviced still today. Leica, especially, has great service support ($$$!).

Also, with a Leica, you've got to take into account that it's a luxury item. They have their own rules. Luxury items don't need scarcity to jack up the price; a high price is part of what makes it a luxury item in the first place because you're paying for exclusivity. And like someone else mentioned, there's the collectible factor.

Leica is probably now a “Veblen good” - (From Wikipedia) “A luxury good for which the demand for a good increases as the price increases, in apparent contradiction of the law of demand, resulting in an upward-sloping demand curve.“

SLN001
SLN001 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,740
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

tesla23 wrote:

Again, these cameras are decades old and most can’t even be serviced! As an analog shooter, this concerns me, especially because the prices have went up ridiculously because of this.

Cannot be serviced? Possibly the examples you cited, but not analog cameras as a group.

I recently had a Canon VL2 rangefinder serviced in the Detroit area. Just this Labor Day I bought a beautiful Canon L1 rangefinder from Japan off eBay. The camera had been CLAd in Japan last January, and the seller provided the shop receipt with the body. (Yes, it was in Japanese but I have a friend who's wife grew up in Japan, and she was kind enough to confirm the information on the document.

There are millions of non-electronic cameras floating around the planet that can be repaired (if necessary) and will provide excellent service for another 50 years. At my age, I am certainly not worried beyond that range.

The sources of repair in the U.S. and Europe are on a downslope, but they still exist. There are many more to be found in Asia, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, etc. where the sole proprietor specialist shops are more prevalent.

I am certainly not concerned over losing technical support for my manual cameras in my lifetime. If you need auto-focus, auto-aperture, etc. in your analog camera that might bother you. I'm happy with fully mechanical bodies that don't need a battery.

The range of available, functional, and capable analog bodies is not limited to the last, electronic, production designs.

-- hide signature --

Steve
Just an Armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

 SLN001's gear list:SLN001's gear list
Sony a7 II Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 +2 more
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,471
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
1

SLN001 wrote:

tesla23 wrote:

Again, these cameras are decades old and most can’t even be serviced! As an analog shooter, this concerns me, especially because the prices have went up ridiculously because of this.

Cannot be serviced? Possibly the examples you cited, but not analog cameras as a group

As another counter example - this ( https://www.ppprepairs.co.uk/press ) is someone who has recently  started up offering camera  repairs  and does repair things like the Contax T2

.

I recently had a Canon VL2 rangefinder serviced in the Detroit area. Just this Labor Day I bought a beautiful Canon L1 rangefinder from Japan off eBay. The camera had been CLAd in Japan last January, and the seller provided the shop receipt with the body. (Yes, it was in Japanese but I have a friend who's wife grew up in Japan, and she was kind enough to confirm the information on the document.

There are millions of non-electronic cameras floating around the planet that can be repaired (if necessary) and will provide excellent service for another 50 years. At my age, I am certainly not worried beyond that range.

The sources of repair in the U.S. and Europe are on a downslope, but they still exist. There are many more to be found in Asia, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, etc. where the sole proprietor specialist shops are more prevalent.

I am certainly not concerned over losing technical support for my manual cameras in my lifetime. If you need auto-focus, auto-aperture, etc. in your analog camera that might bother you. I'm happy with fully mechanical bodies that don't need a battery.

The range of available, functional, and capable analog bodies is not limited to the last, electronic, production designs.

(unknown member) Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?
2

tesla23 wrote:

Manufacturers are producing everything but cameras and with a strong decline in servicing shops, I wonder where all of this is going?

Besides, let me just share some current prices of some random cameras I’ve seen on German eBay - please remember these are used items with no real idea how long they will last before they croak.

contax T2 - 2000$ average

yashica t4 - 350$

olympus xa - 120$
That’s just all crazy and will sooner or later go down The shitter.

You can buy a late model film camera made by either Canon or Nikon for peanuts. They will not need any service for another 10 or fifteen years. If you ask your older relatives they will probably GIVE you a Canon Rebel for FREE.

BTW I can still get service for my 1935 Leica IIIa. Tamarkin, in Chicago, will sell you this CLA Leica IIIf Red Dial, Nr. 684xxx, Ex++ $450. The camera comes with a 6 months warranty.

Why do people feel the need to be ripped-off on ebay?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads