Migration from Lightroom to iCloud

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
amarokWPcom
amarokWPcom New Member • Posts: 11
Migration from Lightroom to iCloud

Since I changed my workflow from PC to my iPad I started to migrate my photo library from Lightroom to iCloud.

Has anybody done the same and what have been your experiences and challenges, maybe also solved stumbling blocks and advises.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback

P.S. My first issue for the moment is, that after I imported the photos to the iPad and created several albums the photos are synced over all devices but NOT the albums (organization of the photos)  

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6
iPad Pro 11

amarokWPcom's gear list:amarokWPcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,614
Re: Migration from Lightroom to iCloud

amarokWPcom wrote:

Since I changed my workflow from PC to my iPad I started to migrate my photo library from Lightroom to iCloud.

Has anybody done the same and what have been your experiences and challenges, maybe also solved stumbling blocks and advises.

P.S. My first issue for the moment is, that after I imported the photos to the iPad and created several albums the photos are synced over all devices but NOT the albums (organization of the photos)

What do you mean exactly? Lightroom is a program and iCloud is a storage medium.

Where did you store your images with Lightroom and what program are you using to view/edit the image on the iPad?

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
amarokWPcom
OP amarokWPcom New Member • Posts: 11

Greybeard2017 wrote:

amarokWPcom wrote:

What do you mean exactly? Lightroom is a program and iCloud is a storage medium.

Where did you store your images with Lightroom and what program are you using to view/edit the image on the iPad?

With lightroom i stored the photos on the drive, i used Lightroom Classic.

On the iPad I use Affinity Photo for my HDR, Panorama... For the „faster“ stuff I use Pixelmator.

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6
BenQ SW2700PT
HP Elitebook 830 G5

Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,290

amarokWPcom wrote:

Reading between the lines here, it looks like you’ve imported into Photos app (the mention of Albums).

Yes, that’s correct, if you import into Photos you’ll need to create each folder and album again.

I recently did the same migration here a couple of months ago. It’s going to be a long job depending on how many photos you have.

If you have access to the desktop version, you can import maintaining folder structure, but keep the import numbers low, a few hundred at a time at most, and quit/relaunch regularly. Better still, go to the Apple Support Discussions and search out Old Toad’s scripts, there’s one there for importing folders into Photos that works a lot better.

Make sure you save xmp sidecar files in Lightroom, then Photos will also use any keywords and people names you used in Lightroom (although the keywords aren’t much use on the iPad).

If you only have the iPad, then it’s the tedious job of creating all the folders and albums from scratch.

You’ll also have to re-edit everything if you have Raws, the edits aren’t transferable (that’s the case regardless of which Raw developer apps you have). Or you can export all your images as rendered edited images to keep the editing you’ve already applied, and then import those into Photos.

You do know you can use Lightroom on the iPad don’t you? You can migrate the Classic catalogue into Lightroom cloud, and keep the folder/album structure (see the Adobe website for instructions), and carry on from where you already are.

If you’re sticking with Photos, Raw Power (Gentlemen Coders) is the best integrated editor with Photos, and gives a seamless non-destructive workflow. A set of apps consisting of this and Affinity + Pixelmator makes a formidable toolkit.

If you’re saving directly to iDrive, then it’s all manual as far as I know, and you probably do need to create each folder as needed.

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
mjw3 Regular Member • Posts: 276

You do know you can use Lightroom on the iPad don’t you? You can migrate the Classic catalogue into Lightroom cloud, and keep the folder/album structure (see the Adobe website for instructions), and carry on from where you already are.

There is nothing better for editing on iPad at the moment than Adobe CC.

Trying to work around Apple's unfriendly raw management between apps is just a headache. Adobe's subscription just works and there are multiple benefits.

mjw3 wrote:

There is nothing better for editing on iPad at the moment than Adobe CC.

Trying to work around Apple's unfriendly raw management between apps is just a headache. Adobe's subscription just works and there are multiple benefits.

I disagree. Lightroom gives no options for editing with other apps, other than Photoshop, which you have to double the subscription fee to get.

It’s also awful for batch editing, and is missing some key features. Recent history shows it’s also no more reliable than anything else too.

Besides, it’s good to have choices available. You don’t just have Lightroom or Photos available on the iPad for either management or editing, there are a few possible solutions available.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
chemist47 Regular Member • Posts: 139

You are spreading fake information. You do not have to pay even cent more for Photoshop. It is included in basic package: Lightroom classic, Lightroom mobile for phones and tablets, Photoshop and 20Gb of cloud storage.

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,614

chemist47 wrote:

You are spreading fake information. You do not have to pay even cent more for Photoshop. It is included in basic package: Lightroom classic, Lightroom mobile for phones and tablets, Photoshop and 20Gb of cloud storage.

Depends which plan you have - some come with Photoshop and some don’t.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10

chemist47 wrote:

No it’s not Fake information. Relevant to using on an iPad, ‘Lightroom’ requires extra subscription to get Photoshop. Of course depending on the package you have, but generally if you have the mobile basic package, which is Lightroom + 1TB of storage, you do not get Photoshop.

If you want it, then you have to double the subscription, which does give you a lot more, granted, but much of which is not so useful for iPad only use.

I appreciate you may be happy with the 20GB plan, and get Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, but it’s not so useful for a mobile heavy workflow.

Besides all that, whatever plan you choose, you cannot choose to use a third party external editor at all on iPadOS or iOS (or indeed on the Desktop version).

Lightroom for mobile is still very crippled, whatever way you look at it. It has too many key features that either don’t exist at all, or are poorly implemented (batch editing for example).

However, all said, it’s still a capable app, and very good with the end result, and is actually good value at the base level, but it’s by no means the best there is for everyone (nothing is).

-- hide signature --

Andy H

amarokWPcom

Many thanks to all of your answers.

So what have I done so far:

• I exported all my photos from Adobe Lightroom Classic and imported them via XCR card of my Nikon to the iPad.
  • I installed Afinity Photo to work out my panorama and HDR
  • I installed Hash Photos to organize my photos.

So far everything seemed to be fine but yesterday I wanted to work on my HDRs and there haven't been anymore HDRs.🙈🙈🙈

Is iOS converting them on it's own without mentioning?

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6
IPad Pro 11 (2020)

amarokWPcom wrote:

• I exported all my photos from Adobe Lightroom Classic and imported them via XCR card of my Nikon to the iPad.

That seem like an unnecessary process, you could have just imported the Classic master files  (if you’d saved xml sidecar files too, it would also have transferred any keywords too).

That’s interesting, how does Hash work in the workflow?

I’m looking for a more elegant way to manage the library, Photos is OK, but could do with one or two better features.

Raw Power does have some ability to manage the photos too, and is quite good, and the editor is superb for basic corrections.

I feel that Affinity could be useful, but I can’t see it fitting into my workflow - mainly because it doesn’t properly integrate with Photos, and increases storage significantly to maintain non-destructive editing.

Does Hash work alongside the Photos library nicely, i.e. can it manage the library but everything still shows up in Photos, and across the iCloud Photo system.

So far everything seemed to be fine but yesterday I wanted to work on my HDRs and there haven't been anymore HDRs.🙈🙈🙈

Can’t answer that, I don’t really do much with HDR. It’s possible I suppose, and Photos is a bit poor at selecting images in a Raw+JPEG pair. Although other apps, like Raw Power and Pixelmator might allow you to choose which version you want to work with (actually I think Raw Power automatically selects the Raw anyway).

-- hide signature --

Andy H

0lf
0lf Senior Member • Posts: 1,246

iCloud also exist as a windows app, then you can just use file explorer to transfer your photo from the PC to iCloud.

0lf's gear list:0lf's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X70 Canon G7 X II Apple iPhone 6s
amarokWPcom

Andy Hewitt wrote:

amarokWPcom wrote:

That seem like an unnecessary process, you could have just imported the Classic master files (if you’d saved xml sidecar files too, it would also have transferred any keywords too).

I mean XQD 🙈 I didn't found another way to import them.

I use Hash to create smart albums and search for duplicates and similar.

I’m looking for a more elegant way to manage the library, Photos is OK, but could do with one or two better features.

Raw Power does have some ability to manage the photos too, and is quite good, and the editor is superb for basic corrections.

I feel that Affinity could be useful, but I can’t see it fitting into my workflow - mainly because it doesn’t properly integrate with Photos, and increases storage significantly to maintain non-destructive editing.

Does Hash work alongside the Photos library nicely, i.e. can it manage the library but everything still shows up in Photos, and across the iCloud Photo system.

Can’t answer that, I don’t really do much with HDR. It’s possible I suppose, and Photos is a bit poor at selecting images in a Raw+JPEG pair. Although other apps, like Raw Power and Pixelmator might allow you to choose which version you want to work with (actually I think Raw Power automatically selects the Raw anyway).

I mean I don’t find several Raws anymore, not HDRs, sorry

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6
BenQ SW2700PT
HP Elitebook 830 G5

amarokWPcom wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

That seem like an unnecessary process, you could have just imported the Classic master files (if you’d saved xml sidecar files too, it would also have transferred any keywords too).

I mean XQD 🙈 I didn't found another way to import them.

USB adapter, plug in an external hard drive is a way. I do still have my iMac, so I actually did the donkey work on that, uploaded to iCloud, then allowed it to sync to my devices.

You could also place them onto the iCloud Drive, and copy from there.

I use Hash to create smart albums and search for duplicates and similar.

Ok, that’s not what I meant by workflow. However, I’ve downloaded it anyway, and after only a short time using it, it’s apparent it does offer much of what’s missing in Photos, so thanks for the pointer. I’ve even already paid the upgrade price for it.

Sorry, but no idea on the HDR issue, it’s not very clear what your process is.

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads