Canon R5 Focusing Problem

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
penums
penums Forum Member • Posts: 66
Canon R5 Focusing Problem

I often make pictures in the city.

In a shooting the model walked to me, but the focus dont hit the model, something else

in the background. How i can change the parameter in the R5 that it works?

I test Servo - > AF-Face , AF-Spot,.... nothing works. Everytime the focus missing in this testscene.

Canon R5 + Canon RF 24-70, f4,5 1/1250s ISO 1250

penums's gear list:penums's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
martinhb Regular Member • Posts: 425
Re: Canon R5 Focusing Problem

There might be some useful hints here :

https://cam.start.canon/en/C003/manual/html/UG-04_AF-Drive_0100.html

Seems pretty comprehensive.

martinhb's gear list:martinhb's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +3 more
Jx9 Regular Member • Posts: 182

Hmm. I thought this was an R6 problem. I am taking a lot of shots that are misses. Moving subjects. I'm moving, too. High shutter speed. Missing eye. Don't think I had this problem on my RP. Setting was AF4. Going to try AF1 (default). Do R5 has similar issues?

Jx9's gear list:Jx9's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II +15 more
pkoenig2001 Contributing Member • Posts: 608

Did you use the option to set the initial focus point for Servo?  This provides much more control,

-- hide signature --
 pkoenig2001's gear list:pkoenig2001's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 77D Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +7 more
penums
OP penums Forum Member • Posts: 66

Yes, i use it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
RyanBoston Senior Member • Posts: 1,334

Have you done the new 1.1.1 firmware?

Also do a firmware update on your RF lens.

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,466

penums wrote:

I often make pictures in the city.

In a shooting the model walked to me, but the focus dont hit the model, something else

in the background. How i can change the parameter in the R5 that it works?

I test Servo - > AF-Face , AF-Spot,.... nothing works. Everytime the focus missing in this testscene.

Canon R5 + Canon RF 24-70, f4,5 1/1250s ISO 1250

When I look at the photo, quite simply I'd guess you missed with your "Initial point" acquisition. Even though your initial point, or single point was partially on the subject, the area the the camera cared about was on the signal light behind her. So... it focused on the signal light.

Way to fix this:

If you are using initial point and eye AF, be very precise and only hit your subject. Also note... you don't have to hit the head. The system is smart enough to find the eyes as long as you give it a subject.

Another way to fix this is, not to use initial point with the eye AF. Let the camera find the subject with the "white pre-focus box" and then continue tracking.

Until you get comfortable with the way the single point grabs inadvertent objects, I'd suggest the second option.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
penums

I have the newest firmware on R5 (1.1.1) and on RF24-70 (1.0.7)

I downgrade to R5 (1.1.0) it is a little better but not perfekt.

It is only on facedection and Servo-AF. If the cam find an eye it is perfekt, if the cam find only a face it is not perfekt sharp.

penums

I have the intial point set.

I downgrade firmware from 1.1.1 to 1.1.0 it is a little better.

It is only on facedetection and servo-af. If the cam catch an eye it is perfekt, if the cam find only the face it is not very sharp.

An other picture, i hope you understand what i mean. I controlled many pictures an it is the same. All other situation are perfect.

Facedetection an eye-af, if find, top

Servo-AF + Singlepoint , top.

One-Shot, top.

Facedetection and no eye find, not really good

Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,466

I wouldn't bounce back and forth in firmware updates, mine worked just as good with all the updates.

There is a learning curve to how the AF works. I'd assume this curve is what your having an issue with. Let me make one point really clear. The single point or initial point can very easily grab an unintended subject. I struggled with this for hours before just letting go and letting the camera do the heavy lifting.

Unfortunately, with this type of problem, its very difficult to differentiate user error from camera fault.

One other thing, I don't know if this is particularly specific to you, but I've noticed if I jerk or move abruptly the focus lock quality is affected.  You will notice the confident eye box, head box, or body box, give way to the less confident blue boxes. So just be aware, smooth movements are rewarded.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,431

penums wrote:

I have the intial point set.

I downgrade firmware from 1.1.1 to 1.1.0 it is a little better.

It is only on facedetection and servo-af. If the cam catch an eye it is perfekt, if the cam find only the face it is not very sharp.

An other picture, i hope you understand what i mean. I controlled many pictures an it is the same. All other situation are perfect.

Facedetection an eye-af, if find, top

Servo-AF + Singlepoint , top.

One-Shot, top.

Facedetection and no eye find, not really good

You appear to be about 10m from the woman. For a 30x enlargement (1080mm x 720mm) your depth of field at 70mm and f/4.5 will be more than 1500mm at that distance. I think you have bigger worries than the difference between eye or face or eye detection for this case.

penums

I make photos since i am 16, and now i am 56. I have 10D, 1DM2, 5DM2, 5DM3, 5DM4.

I think i know to handle the cam.

Today i have a new idea and i but my old EF 24-70 2,8 L USM II at the R5.

I put my puppi at my parkingplace and go 10-15 Meters back.

Two shots, left the RF 24-70 , and right the EF 24-70.

The pictures of the EF Lense with Canon Adapter are better than the direct RF Lense.

Something going wrong with the RF Lense.

Canon DPP Zoom300%

tifa3 Regular Member • Posts: 163

Seems like your lens has an issue. Is it still under warranty?

penums

yes, i buy it with the R5

tifa3 Regular Member • Posts: 163

penums wrote:

yes, i buy it with the R5

return or exchange it

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads