Sigma Lens OS on SDQ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Lynxo Regular Member • Posts: 385
Sigma Lens OS on SDQ?

Hi

I know tripod mounted is best for tack sharp images. How effective is the SIgma OS on the SD Quattro?

Would that still allow tack sharp images to some degree when you cannot bring a tripod with you?

If lighting conditions where you need slow shutter 1/30-1/60, would the OS do the job?

Sigma sd Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dana F Regular Member • Posts: 163
Re: Sigma Lens OS on SDQ?

The SD Q  with the 24-105f4 I consider mine average. There's times it works and other times no.It may be I'm just pushing the shutter speed to low

Dana F's gear list:Dana F's gear list
Pentax *ist D Olympus PEN E-PL6 Sigma sd Quattro Pentax KP Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +3 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 15,832

Lynxo wrote:

Hi

I know tripod mounted is best for tack sharp images. How effective is the SIgma OS on the SD Quattro?

Would that still allow tack sharp images to some degree when you cannot bring a tripod with you?

If lighting conditions where you need slow shutter 1/30-1/60, would the OS do the job?

I don't know if you'd call them tack sharp, but take a look at 1/15 second with OS off and on, using an SD Quattro H and a 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art:

OS on

OS off

These two images are both the best of two sets of three (one set of three with OS on and one set of three with OS off). I focused for the first photo, turned off AF, and shot three with OS on. Then I turned off OS, and I shot three more. They were all handheld. As you can see, there was a lot of camera movement at 70mm handheld. This shows how terrible my handholding is, I guess. Just so you're aware, the other two photos in each set look very similar (lots of blur in the ones with OS off, and with OS on they are all pretty sharp).

This demonstrates how good the OS is. I was impressed, when looking through my viewfinder. It seems to work better than the OS on my old 70-300 OS lens. You can see a bunch of handheld portraits, which I shot with the 70-300 OS with the OS turned on here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61777397

I shot some of those leaning against a table, but I did not use a tripod for that photo shoot.

Just so you're aware, I shot the buildings above at 1/30 and 1/125th too, but there was almost no difference between the shots at 1/125, though you could tell in two of the shots with OS off that they were slightly blurry. At 1/30 the story is similar to what you see above in the shots I made at 1/15.

As you can see by the data in the photos, I did not shoot with the lens stopped all the way down or opened all the way up. That would tell us very little. I tried to shoot at an aperture that would squeeze a lot of performance out of the lens.

Here's another pair of shots, handheld, but at a shorter focal length and at 1/30 second, using OS for the first one and no OS for the second one (also best out of sets of three):

OS on

OS off

I think I got lucky with that last shot with the OS off. It looks pretty good to me. The OS did appear to work at the faster, 1/30 second, shutter speed, but since I was using a wider focal length, I'm not sure the OS was really necessary at that shutter speed. The example in the beginning of my post above is a much better example of how well the OS works.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,262

Scottelly wrote:

Lynxo wrote:

Hi

I don't know if you'd call them tack sharp, but take a look at 1/15 second with OS off and on, using an SD Quattro H and a 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art

Scott, I downloaded the first two and compared using FastStone Viewer just to bring out the difference.

-- hide signature --

There are more ways to kill a dog than hanging.
English naturalist John Ray, 1678,
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
OP Lynxo Regular Member • Posts: 385

Scottelly wrote:

Lynxo wrote:

Hi

I don't know if you'd call them tack sharp, but take a look at 1/15 second with OS off and on, using an SD Quattro H and a 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art:

OS on

OS off

These two images are both the best of two sets of three (one set of three with OS on and one set of three with OS off). I focused for the first photo, turned off AF, and shot three with OS on. Then I turned off OS, and I shot three more. They were all handheld. As you can see, there was a lot of camera movement at 70mm handheld. This shows how terrible my handholding is, I guess. Just so you're aware, the other two photos in each set look very similar (lots of blur in the ones with OS off, and with OS on they are all pretty sharp).

This demonstrates how good the OS is. I was impressed, when looking through my viewfinder. It seems to work better than the OS on my old 70-300 OS lens. You can see a bunch of handheld portraits, which I shot with the 70-300 OS with the OS turned on here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61777397

I shot some of those leaning against a table, but I did not use a tripod for that photo shoot.

Just so you're aware, I shot the buildings above at 1/30 and 1/125th too, but there was almost no difference between the shots at 1/125, though you could tell in two of the shots with OS off that they were slightly blurry. At 1/30 the story is similar to what you see above in the shots I made at 1/15.

As you can see by the data in the photos, I did not shoot with the lens stopped all the way down or opened all the way up. That would tell us very little. I tried to shoot at an aperture that would squeeze a lot of performance out of the lens.

Here's another pair of shots, handheld, but at a shorter focal length and at 1/30 second, using OS for the first one and no OS for the second one (also best out of sets of three):

OS on

OS off

I think I got lucky with that last shot with the OS off. It looks pretty good to me. The OS did appear to work at the faster, 1/30 second, shutter speed, but since I was using a wider focal length, I'm not sure the OS was really necessary at that shutter speed. The example in the beginning of my post above is a much better example of how well the OS works.

First set, definitely a difference. 2nd set, I cannot tell the difference. Would you say the safe minimum shutter with OS on would be around 1/15 or 1/30?

I have the shakes now so anything would help.

Great info. Thanks Scott.

Dana F wrote:

The SD Q with the 24-105f4 I consider mine average. There's times it works and other times no.It may be I'm just pushing the shutter speed to low

That is a bigger lens as well?

I’m considering the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM. Is that decent? Can’t afford ART lens. For SDQ, non H.

Oddly, none of the more expensive Art lens have OS. One thing about Sigma mount, they are not cheap vs. Sigma in Nikon or Canon mount. Feel bummed having to pay more for same lens just for the Sigma mount.

xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,262

Lynxo wrote:

I’m considering the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM. Is that decent?

Yes. Excellent.

-- hide signature --

There are more ways to kill a dog than hanging.
English naturalist John Ray, 1678,
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,572

Lynxo wrote:

Hi

Lynxo. Don't take this personally, but I have read through all the replies in this thread and so far I have found no QED in any part of it.

I think it may be partly due to your 1) assertion, and 2) questions.

Firstly, I disagree with your statement as it stands that "tripod-mounted is best for tack-sharp images". There are circumstances where camera movements are just magnified by a tripod supporting a camera.

Secondly, in your question you are asking about "tack-sharp" and "degree". The two terms seem at odds.

Thirdly, your last question is asking for a qualitative reply to a specific condition. But there is insufficient information to be specific because you are asking about lenses with OS in general.

I don't think you are going to get a general answer, just the specific ones so far given by the likes of Scott(ell)y (thanks, btw, Scotty). However, even this illustration is not conclusive because the lack of OS alone has not been proven as the cause of the blur in the "OS Off" shot (or the converse).

So, in the spirit of the thread, all I can offer is that with an SD1M and a 50-500 DG OS running at full tilt, I have been generally satisfied with some of the sharpness I have achieved with exposure times as low as 1/30sec. Mind you, there are times where even at shorter exposure time I have got motion blur. But I think that in those times I have been the main contributor with excessive movement in the hand-held procedure, which only involves bracing myself against something like a wall.

atom14.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 28,645

It must vary with different lenses, even with two lenses at the same focal length.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Dana F Regular Member • Posts: 163

Lynxo wrote:

Dana F wrote:

The SD Q with the 24-105f4 I consider mine average. There's times it works and other times no.It may be I'm just pushing the shutter speed to low

That is a bigger lens as well?

I’m considering the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM. Is that decent? Can’t afford ART lens. For SDQ, non H.

Oddly, none of the more expensive Art lens have OS. One thing about Sigma mount, they are not cheap vs. Sigma in Nikon or Canon mount. Feel bummed having to pay more for same lens just for the Sigma mount.

The 24-105 f4 is a chunk of a lens. Verging on a bit too much. I'm older so after a while it gets heavy.

I have the 17-50 f2.8 in Pentax mount. I really enjoy it as a Walk Around lens. Sharp. Good Color. Nice  Range.  The Pentax model doesn't have OS, it relys on The camera IBIS.

Dana F's gear list:Dana F's gear list
Pentax *ist D Olympus PEN E-PL6 Sigma sd Quattro Pentax KP Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +3 more

atom14 wrote:

Lynxo wrote:

Hi

Lynxo. Don't take this personally, but I have read through all the replies in this thread and so far I have found no QED in any part of it.

I think it may be partly due to your 1) assertion, and 2) questions.

Firstly, I disagree with your statement as it stands that "tripod-mounted is best for tack-sharp images". There are circumstances where camera movements are just magnified by a tripod supporting a camera.

Secondly, in your question you are asking about "tack-sharp" and "degree". The two terms seem at odds.

Thirdly, your last question is asking for a qualitative reply to a specific condition. But there is insufficient information to be specific because you are asking about lenses with OS in general.

I don't think you are going to get a general answer, just the specific ones so far given by the likes of Scott(ell)y (thanks, btw, Scotty). However, even this illustration is not conclusive because the lack of OS alone has not been proven as the cause of the blur in the "OS Off" shot (or the converse).

So, in the spirit of the thread, all I can offer is that with an SD1M and a 50-500 DG OS running at full tilt, I have been generally satisfied with some of the sharpness I have achieved with exposure times as low as 1/30sec. Mind you, there are times where even at shorter exposure time I have got motion blur. But I think that in those times I have been the main contributor with excessive movement in the hand-held procedure, which only involves bracing myself against something like a wall.

atom14.

No worries. You are all highly experienced and knowledgeable.

I take in your replies and process at my level. Certainly this field, there so many variables in play. 
It is more getting a feel for how others experience their equipment, not so much all set in stone.

Of course on tripod it may not always be tack sharp. Especially with OS which they state to switch it off in some situations.

I’m no where near the high level of Sigma users here. 
You(in general) shouldn’t take it personally either and I do see that from previous replies, lol. If I stated something, it is more in question form.

Ultimately, I will have to experience and learn for myself.

All is good. Great group of experienced people here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads