Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Elchanan Regular Member • Posts: 477
Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus

I am thinking about getting the 90D but am a little concerned about the reported OVF auto-focus issues. In one video I watched, the reviewer discovered that the iTR face-detection option (enabled by default) was the culprit. After the disabling this option, his hit rate went up to about 86% (i.e. very good).

But other buyers have reported erratic auto-focus when using the OVF, regardless of iTR. So, is this a real problem or has it been blown out of proportion?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond,

Charlton

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
jp4 Senior Member • Posts: 1,176
Re: Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus

Elchanan wrote:

I am thinking about getting the 90D but am a little concerned about the reported OVF auto-focus issues. In one video I watched, the reviewer discovered that the iTR face-detection option (enabled by default) was the culprit. After the disabling this option, his hit rate went up to about 86% (i.e. very good).

But other buyers have reported erratic auto-focus when using the OVF, regardless of iTR. So, is this a real problem or has it been blown out of proportion?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond,

Charlton

I wonder the same thing. May I add to your question?

Is it possible there was a problem early on, that has been quietly addressed in later production runs?

 jp4's gear list:jp4's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 80D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,100
Re: Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus
2

The same was said for almost every Canon DSLR released since this forum started. I remembered a lot of comments about the 7D2, and now everyone praises its AF. While I find the 90D to be not as responsive as the 7D2 on the AF front, I find it fine most of the time. It probably takes a bit of time to get dialled into its nuances, but the same can be said for many cameras.

-- hide signature --
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,351
Re: Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus
5

The focusing issues are coming primarily from bird photographers who use AF servo and shoot bursts.  The face detect default is one issue.  In that mode the AF will fail if the camera incorrectly identifies a face.  It also fails if it correctly identifies a face and then loses tracking of the face.  It then reverts to focusing on a close high contrast area of the scene.  In addition to the face detect issue which can be turned off, bird shooters also report issues with AF servo losing focus especially when shooting bursts.  It appears that the 10 fps burst rate exceeds the ability of the camera to respond with a fast moving subject.

If you spend any time reading this forum you will see these same issues discussed over and over and over again.  The fix for Canon is probably to make a firmware adjustment allowing for a intermediate frame rate.  Now it is either 3 or 10.  Adding 7 might fix the issue.

Anyway the emphasis on this issue takes away from the appreciation of the positive aspects of the camera.  I rarely shoot birds in flight or bursts.  For me the camera is the best APS-C camera by a wide margin.  When not using AF servo, the focusing is noticeably better than the 80D or any previous APS-C Canon camera.  It is fast and extremely precise and works better than previous camera in low light.  A big factor for me is focusing at macro distances.  This is the first camera that actually does well at 1:1 or 1:2 macro.

There are some other very impressive features.  First of course is the resolution.  Second is the way the camera works when using Canon DPP4 software.  With a high res sensor, diffraction can become an issue.  Canon's diffraction correction software works remarkably well for the 90D.  DC is not new but it just did not seem to do much in the past.  For a high res sensor, the 90D also does well with noise reduction at high ISO.  That includes noise reduction when pulling details from the shadows; i.e., dynamic range.  Again this is a factor where post processing is important and DPP4 software outperforms the choices from Adobe.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Rocket13 Senior Member • Posts: 3,556
Re: Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus
3

I think it was mostly growing pains, I shoot OVF and mostly BIF and find the 90D to be excellent. At one point I did have an issue where I could not use 9 point focus my lenses would just stop trying to focus like the continue to hunt option was disabled, After working with a Canon rep and going through several steps (resetting to factory settings re-inserting my settings draining the battery clear down and some other steps I don't recall it now works fine (I hardly ever use 9 point anyway) here is a shot from yesterday of a fast low flying killdeer.

 Rocket13's gear list:Rocket13's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6 Canon EOS 90D
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,628
Re: Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus

jrkliny wrote:

...

There are some other very impressive features. First of course is the resolution. Second is the way the camera works when using Canon DPP4 software. With a high res sensor, diffraction can become an issue. Canon's diffraction correction software works remarkably well for the 90D. DC is not new but it just did not seem to do much in the past. For a high res sensor, the 90D also does well with noise reduction at high ISO. That includes noise reduction when pulling details from the shadows; i.e., dynamic range. Again this is a factor where post processing is important and DPP4 software outperforms the choices from Adobe.

You seem to have gone off topic here but since you mention these points I don't accept all of what you say to be true.

In my experience, Adobe applications exceed the capabilities of DPP4 in many situations, including noise reduction.

 David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,628
Re: Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus
1

The auto focus in the 90D works just fine in my experience but yes the ITR face detection should be turned off unless you need it.

I suspect most people having issues with the AF have left the sensitivity settings (in the Custom Functions) at their defaults.

Tweaking those has enabled me to get AF to perform very well.

 David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,100
Re: Canon 90D: Question about OVF auto-focus

Rocket13 wrote:

I think it was mostly growing pains, I shoot OVF and mostly BIF and find the 90D to be excellent. At one point I did have an issue where I could not use 9 point focus my lenses would just stop trying to focus like the continue to hunt option was disabled, After working with a Canon rep and going through several steps (resetting to factory settings re-inserting my settings draining the battery clear down and some other steps I don't recall it now works fine (I hardly ever use 9 point anyway) here is a shot from yesterday of a fast low flying killdeer.

Nice shots. Plover are nippy little birds and are a challenge. Great job on nailing them.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads