best cameras for modeling photography

Started 3 months ago | Questions
pretzel33 New Member • Posts: 1
best cameras for modeling photography

Hi,

I’ve recently become interested in taking my own modeling pics. These would be from 4-7 ft away, usually in sub-optimal/natural lighting. I’ve used a friend’s Canon Rebel T6 before, but it did so badly with the lighting (dark-ish room with a few spots of direct sunlight) that the camera from their iphone xr took better pictures. i’m not sure whether i should drop $600 on a phone like theirs, or whether spending it on a real camera would be a better investment, given the lighting restrictions (and a self-timer function would be necessary). I know next to nothing of photography and am trying to save money, so you guys have any recommendations or ideas, please let me hear them. Thank you

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Julio Sánchez Contributing Member • Posts: 592
Re: best cameras for modeling photography

I can understand exactly your problem but I think that is not a problem about the camera it seems to be a problem with the light.

You will need some skills with lighting techniques.

Julio Sánchez's gear list:Julio Sánchez's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Ricoh Caplio GX8 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Dem Bell Regular Member • Posts: 374

I think camera choice is quite low on the priority list. I would start with considering what options you have regarding

1. Space

2. Background

3. Lighting

4. Lens/camera combo

Also consider what you want to use your final images for, e.g. print size, resolution etc...

You might find using a remote trigger to be much more practical than using a self timer.

FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358

pretzel33 wrote:

Hi,

I’ve recently become interested in taking my own modeling pics. These would be from 4-7 ft away,

Too close for most types of modelling. Might be OK for some nudes, glamour shots and baby/toddler pictures. Try 8-12 feet. Professional fashion modelling is often done from even greater distances.

usually in sub-optimal/natural lighting. I’ve used a friend’s Canon Rebel T6 before, but it did so badly with the lighting (dark-ish room with a few spots of direct sunlight) that the camera from their iphone xr took better pictures. i’m not sure whether i should drop $600 on a phone like theirs, or whether spending it on a real camera would be a better investment, given the lighting restrictions (and a self-timer function would be necessary). I know next to nothing of photography and am trying to save money, so you guys have any recommendations or ideas, please let me hear them. Thank you

Spend the money on lighting.

MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,471
A Camera Captures Light

No light, no photo

Bad light, bad photo

Look at any photography studio and what do you see? Lights!

Go on a Hollywood set and what do you hear? Lights! Camera! Action!

I'll be very frank with you: I and countless others have told aspiring photographers this very thing for many, many years. Most people ignore the advice and think they just need a better camera or lens. The world's best camera and the world's best lens cannot fix bad lighting. But if you spend $4,000 and your photos stink, you'll feel humiliated enough to learn about lighting and then you'll shoot well-lit photos.

Yes, you can save $4,000 if you just listen to what all these experienced photographers are telling you: It's about light first. Then all the other stuff.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,972
Instagram or OnlyFans? - buy cheap lights.. or get a point and shoot.

DSLR + self timer is a horrible idea if you want to take spontaneous or intimate selfie type photos.

Either get a cheap set of lights (amazon does a starter set for < $50 which fold up to fit in a nightstand drawer - though $150 will get you a much better set).

Look for LED continuous lights with a stand - and if you want to do "glamour" type lighting then buy a couple of shoot through umbrellas.

This should let you continue with your phone.

If you want to continue with the natural light look then check out compact cameras like the Canon PowerShot G5 X II or the Panasonic Lumix DC-LX100 II - both are small enough to put on a selfie stick.

Good luck.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T Sony ZV-1 +19 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 18,615

Err, still not clear whether these modeling pics are of a pretty lady, or a model train???

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,840

pretzel33 wrote:

Hi,

I’ve recently become interested in taking my own modeling pics. These would be from 4-7 ft away, usually in sub-optimal/natural lighting. I’ve used a friend’s Canon Rebel T6 before, but it did so badly with the lighting (dark-ish room with a few spots of direct sunlight) that the camera from their iphone xr took better pictures. i’m not sure whether i should drop $600 on a phone like theirs, or whether spending it on a real camera would be a better investment, given the lighting restrictions (and a self-timer function would be necessary). I know next to nothing of photography and am trying to save money, so you guys have any recommendations or ideas, please let me hear them. Thank you

I'm having a hard time imagining this room but there may be some things to try out before opening the wallet. I assume you already have a cellphone camera.

I see some cellphone camera self-timer/intervalometer apps available at Google Play, Apple probably has the same. (For example, an intervalometer app would tell the cellphone to take a photo every X seconds).

There must be a bazillion tutorials on how to shoot in bad lighting or how to recognize bad lighting. Common tips for indoor shooting are to move close to a window and/or to use a reflector. Depending on the size of the subject, a reflector could be some sheets of white paper or large poster board.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony a7 II Sony a7R IV Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +26 more
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,471

lehill wrote:

pretzel33 wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a hard time imagining this room but there may be some things to try out before opening the wallet. I assume you already have a cellphone camera.

I see some cellphone camera self-timer/intervalometer apps available at Google Play, Apple probably has the same. (For example, an intervalometer app would tell the cellphone to take a photo every X seconds).

There must be a bazillion tutorials on how to shoot in bad lighting or how to recognize bad lighting. Common tips for indoor shooting are to move close to a window and/or to use a reflector. Depending on the size of the subject, a reflector could be some sheets of white paper or large poster board.

Sounds like yet another, "How do I shoot models but I don't want to be bothered with lighting" threads.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,093

pretzel33 wrote:

I’ve used a friend’s Canon Rebel T6 before, but it did so badly with the lighting (dark-ish room with a few spots of direct sunlight) that the camera from their iphone xr took better pictures.

Are you shooting on a tripod or hand-held? That makes a big difference.

Phones have such small lens apertures that they get everything in focus, and they stack photos to make the most of bad lighting. But they don't offer lens choices and their focal length is not necessarily the most flattering for the kind of photography you want to do.

My suggestion would be to learn some photography basics (A good book or a course) -- and maybe a little more about lighting. A little learning will let you get great results no matter what camera you choose. Part of the reason professional fashion photographers can get such great results is they know exactly what the machinery is doing and how they can best manipulate it.

The good news is this stuff is far from rocket science and not at all hard to learn, and once you know the basics you can get good results with a very affordable camera.

That said it's nearly impossible to buy your way to a great picture. I've seen lots of photographers (going back to the film days) who bought high-end cameras and still got lousy shots because they couldn't be bothered to learn the basics.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,272

I suggest your best first investment would be a copy of "Light Science and Magic".

It's quite pricey new, but second hand is fine.  Light hasn't changed much over the years!

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,511

pretzel33 wrote:

Hi,

You have not commented back in regards to other's postings,

so don't really know what your thoughts are in all responses.

Depending on your needs,

and what image quality required,

using a phone camera maybe sufficient.

Buying a camera body is just part one of the equation,

then will need to buy a lens adequate for low/lower lights,

often that means a lens capable of at least f/2.8 or better (such as f/1.8).

Below is a picture from my iphone 6 camera,

the lens from the iphone 6 is capable of f/2.2, which is good.

Picture taken with iphone 6, processed to taste.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list,..
...................words matter!...................

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads