Canon DPP Lens Data for EF 200mm f/1.8L?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
photomxp0 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Canon DPP Lens Data for EF 200mm f/1.8L?

The latest Canon Digital Photo Professional 4.12.60.0 doesn't have lens data for the Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L.  In the Lens Registration tool, there is no option to download data for this model.

Does anyone know if older versions of DPP might have supported this lens?
Or does anyone happen to have an older DPP installed and could check?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 2,293
Re: Canon DPP Lens Data for EF 200mm f/1.8L?

That lens was from early 1990 to 2004. then replaced 2008 by the 200 f2 . So sadly , like my 35 - 350 L , this lens in no longer listed or profiles available in DPP !

Canon seems to tempt users to upgrade by just dropping some lovely old lenses.

You should try downloading a copy of  PT lens and use it to run in Photoshop, it may have a profile, and you can only use it on Tiff files once raw processed.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,118

photomxp0 wrote:

The latest Canon Digital Photo Professional 4.12.60.0 doesn't have lens data for the Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L. In the Lens Registration tool, there is no option to download data for this model.

Does anyone know if older versions of DPP might have supported this lens?
Or does anyone happen to have an older DPP installed and could check?

Thanks!

What camera do you have? Need the newer versions of DPP for newer cameras.

OP photomxp0 Junior Member • Posts: 48

tkbslc wrote:

I have a lot of Canon EOS digital cameras and use this lens on many of them.  Three  examples that I have specifically checked with DPP are new and old: EOS-1D X Mark III, EOS M6 Mark II with mount adapter, and EOS-1Ds.

I'm using the latest version of DPP available for any of the newest camera models (ex: EOS R5), which is 4.12.60.  Is there a later version?

I found an old version of DPP 3.9.0.2 on CD laying around and installed that in a VM.  It doesn't appear to have the lens database option at all, unless I'm forgetting where to look.  I only see the "NR/Lens/ALO" tab in the Editor with no lenses listed.

So maybe DPP4 is when Canon introduced the lens database?

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,118

photomxp0 wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

I have a lot of Canon EOS digital cameras and use this lens on many of them. Three examples that I have specifically checked with DPP are new and old: EOS-1D X Mark III, EOS M6 Mark II with mount adapter, and EOS-1Ds.

I'm using the latest version of DPP available for any of the newest camera models (ex: EOS R5), which is 4.12.60. Is there a later version?

No, what I meant is that if you install a very old version of DPP, it may have the lens but then it won't support your camera.  Except maybe the 1DS.

I'm not sure very old versions of DPP even had lens profiles.

What are you specifically trying to fix with the lens profiles?  200mm isn't likely to have much distortion.

tkbslc wrote:

I'm not sure very old versions of DPP even had lens profiles.

Correct per my previous post.

What are you specifically trying to fix with the lens profiles? 200mm isn't likely to have much distortion.

The lens is excellent in so many ways, but it does have a good bit of purple contrast fringing.  I am aware that there are alternative ways to correct lens issues, but I'd like to keep this thread focused on the Lens database support in DPP. If the support isn't there, then so be it, but we'll see if anyone else knows before I move on.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads