Pretty heated at Canon website, R5 said in stock

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
eyesofscars0311 Regular Member • Posts: 124
Pretty heated at Canon website, R5 said in stock

5 min ago said in stock all the way through my cart, only said backordered once the order was placed.

Pretty poor online inventory management on Canon's part.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
William O Brian New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Pretty heated at Canon website, R5 said in stock

Its pretty difficult.  People could tie up inventory by putting items in there cart and letting them sit.

I've had the same thing happen to me on other sites.   And I've been guilty of putting items in my cart, starting the checkout process and then changing my mind.

1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,906

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

5 min ago said in stock all the way through my cart, only said backordered once the order was placed.

bait & switch anyone?

-- hide signature --

if you look at God real close and for very long, you'll find defects!!!

OP eyesofscars0311 Regular Member • Posts: 124

Also do not see any way to cancel my order accept waiting for 30 minutes on the phone. Bunch of hack jobs from the breach of security not too long ago, to the way they are managing their online order system, to the level of customer service.

Unacceptable.

Neuropsychology
Neuropsychology Regular Member • Posts: 316

I feel your pain.

Try buying a new Nvida RTX 3800 video card. Bots are starting to proliferate and resellers (like scalpers) are growing. Very annoying to the consumer.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-a-bot-bought-dozens-of-rtx-3080-units-before-consumers-could-grab-them

Neuropsychology's gear list:Neuropsychology's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Canon EOS Ra Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +15 more

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

Also do not see any way to cancel my order accept waiting for 30 minutes on the phone. Bunch of hack jobs from the breach of security not too long ago, to the way they are managing their online order system, to the level of customer service.

Unacceptable.

my sympathies to those who are holding their hopes too high for R5 and its frustration! for me, i decided to get over it till july-august when i decide to get one. any and all bugs will be ironed out with new firmware and it would be safer to get a R5 by then. i just can't deal with this R5/R6 availability circus that is going on right now. until then, my 5dsr/1Dx will be my main pals.

-- hide signature --

starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 840

Neuropsychology wrote:

I feel your pain.

Try buying a new Nvida RTX 3800 video card. Bots are starting to proliferate and resellers (like scalpers) are growing. Very annoying to the consumer.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-a-bot-bought-dozens-of-rtx-3080-units-before-consumers-could-grab-them

Ha! I was able to snag one from EVGA.com when they went on sale Thursday morning. I got lucky I guess.

I have 3 hobbies: building custom watercooled PCs, photography, and audio (as in an audiophile). They're all very expensive hobbies.

So I built a fully custom watercooled PC earlier this year, and the 3080 is an upgrade to that system. The R5 arrives tomorrow. And I assembled a power amplifier with state of the art components a couple months ago. It's been an expensive year.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 2,294
Sadly, it is what it is

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

This is par for the course with Canon Direct.  I doubt it will change anytime soon.  The good news is sometimes you win the lottery when you order online with them (I had lots of success getting the most unique RF lenses early from Canon Direct) but their order website and backend are pretty atrocious.  Many people who ordered weeks after the launch event got R5 cameras from Canon Direct already while a lot of people ordered from B&H on launch day (but a few hours after the event) and are still waiting. I would advise against using Canon Direct unless you are willing to live with the uncertainty and difficulty that comes with it.

JayPhoto1 Regular Member • Posts: 175

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

Unacceptable.

Yep, I was here last week.  They briefly offered the ef-rf adapter "in stock" online and I purchased it within seconds.  Then got the message that it was backordered.  It is frustrating that you can cancel online with major vendors but cannot do so with Canon.  I think I was on hold for about 45 minutes trying to cancel my order.

JayPhoto1's gear list:JayPhoto1's gear list
Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 Sony a7S III Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +7 more
Lawn Lends
Lawn Lends Senior Member • Posts: 2,376

starfly wrote:

Neuropsychology wrote:

I feel your pain.

Ha! I was able to snag one from EVGA.com when they went on sale Thursday morning. I got lucky I guess.

I have 3 hobbies: building custom watercooled PCs, photography, and audio (as in an audiophile). They're all very expensive hobbies.

So I built a fully custom watercooled PC earlier this year, and the 3080 is an upgrade to that system. The R5 arrives tomorrow. And I assembled a power amplifier with state of the art components a couple months ago. It's been an expensive year.

Canon users (I think most all camera buyers) are spoiled by manufacturers doing their best to enforce MSRP prices.

Computer hardware buyers get paper launches and retailers adding on extra profit margins when the demand allows.

Not saying this is wrong or right, just that this is reality of the different product areas.

Lawn Lends's gear list:Lawn Lends's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R III
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,116

1Dx4me wrote:

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

bait & switch anyone?

That's not what it means.

If they said they had R5's in stock for $1200 and when you got there they said actually they are just Rp's -  then it would be bait and switch.

Jeff108 Regular Member • Posts: 133

I had the same thing happen to me this morning.

It said in stock and once I placed the order it said backordered

I called up and cancelled it since Im still waiting on B&H

Jeff108's gear list:Jeff108's gear list
Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Canon EOS R5 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +2 more
starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 840

Jeff108 wrote:

It's so annoying that Canon does this.  I placed an order Friday for a RF 35mm lens.  Showed in stock on the website.  My order confirmation showed In Stock.  I check online today, and it's backordered.  And then you have to go on hold for 30 mins to cancel it.

I'll try to cancel it later because I don't want to deal with a backordered item.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM

tkbslc wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

eyesofscars0311 wrote:

bait & switch anyone?

That's not what it means.

If they said they had R5's in stock for $1200 and when you got there they said actually they are just Rp's - then it would be bait and switch.

i know what it means...my point was that they advertise they have it in stock and when you are ready to finalize the payment, they don't have it in stock, that is what it is in essence!

-- hide signature --

Able1039 New Member • Posts: 8

starfly wrote:

Jeff108 wrote:

It's so annoying that Canon does this. I placed an order Friday for a RF 35mm lens. Showed in stock on the website. My order confirmation showed In Stock. I check online today, and it's backordered. And then you have to go on hold for 30 mins to cancel it.

I'll try to cancel it later because I don't want to deal with a backordered item.

I had the exact same experience last week with the exact same lens purchase. I had to double check to make I didn’t write the post myself (haha!). Still waiting for my money to hit the bank so I can order it off eBay like I should have done in the first place.

iazybandit Contributing Member • Posts: 504

starfly wrote:

Jeff108 wrote:

It's so annoying that Canon does this. I placed an order Friday for a RF 35mm lens. Showed in stock on the website. My order confirmation showed In Stock. I check online today, and it's backordered. And then you have to go on hold for 30 mins to cancel it.

Unfortunately, their site does not have real time inventory hence it showing in stock but going on backorder. Maybe it was in stock when you ordered but as they processed orders before yours, they ran out.

From what I've seen with the RF 35mm, stock of it is often and will be off backorder soon.

iazybandit's gear list:iazybandit's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
souvikdgp Regular Member • Posts: 183

starfly wrote:

Jeff108 wrote:

Same story here. Ordered RF 35mm while it was in stock. Got order confirmation email showing in stock. Only when I checked my order status I can see that it's backordered. Even worse, the product was showing in stock last evening, although my order status is backordered. Very pathetic to say the least.

Holding onto my order since I was able to apply stacked coupon and got 19% discount on the item.

-- hide signature --
 souvikdgp's gear list:souvikdgp's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +5 more
iazybandit Contributing Member • Posts: 504

souvikdgp wrote:

starfly wrote:

Jeff108 wrote:

Same story here. Ordered RF 35mm while it was in stock. Got order confirmation email showing in stock. Only when I checked my order status I can see that it's backordered. Even worse, the product was showing in stock last evening, although my order status is backordered. Very pathetic to say the least.

Holding onto my order since I was able to apply stacked coupon and got 19% discount on the item.

Smart choice to hold on to it. You probably won't find many chances where the coupon stacks. I ordered mine refurbished back in like March/April for $200 and free shipping! It was a one off type of deal.

Based on what I've seen, the backorder may be temporary and not a long wait like the R5.

iazybandit's gear list:iazybandit's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads