Experience with editing R6 video files anyone?

Started Sep 21, 2020 | Discussions
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,647
Experience with editing R6 video files anyone?

Hi all,

I am probably going to get an R6 fairly soon to replace my 6Dii and 1Div bodies (keeping the 6dii as a second body.  I am sure the 20mp will do me just fine (I also shoot a lot with a Panasonic G9 which is 20mp).  However one nagging thought is the video files.

I am getting more and more into video and I am pretty happy with my G9 in everything but lowlight and autofocus.  However shooting in  H.264 4K 10 bit 4.2.2. means that I have to basically use proxies or transcode before editing on my Dell XPS 15 (i7, 9750, 2.6Ghz with 16GB of ram).  8 Bit works out fairly well.

I usually just transcode through media encoder into Prores LT and edit with premiere pro.  The process is pretty fast and not too painful.  Most of my shooting style is short clips so I am not dealing with huge files.

Buying an R6 would bring so many advantages to both my stills and video.  Especially as my EF glass is way better than my micro four thirds glass.

Workflow is important to me but I have no desire to run an external recorder (especially with a micro HDMI connection) as I want my setup to be as compact and portable as possible - in and out of a bag.

I would be really grateful for anyone's thoughts on editing or transcoding R6 IPB H.265 files - a nightmare or not?   I am pretty sure I saw a video where someone was saying that the canon files don't even get GPU support so even transcoding is ridiculously slow..?

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Canon EOS R6 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MutantLabs Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Experience with editing R6 video files anyone?

My R6 arrives tomorrow and I am having the same question. Will try out in the next days and report back here how it worked to be able to open and edit those 10 bit CLOG files in PPro and Resolve Free (if possible at all).

Besides my i9-based video and audio PC, I have a 15“ Macbook Pro with very similar specs to your Dell XPS, so I can probably tell how slow or fluid the editing will be.

MutantLabs's gear list:MutantLabs's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon 6D Mark II +10 more
aeronium Regular Member • Posts: 137

I have the R5. And even with a powerful i9-9900k + RTX 2080 + 64GB RAM PC, the 4k60 10 bit files are a pain to edit with, so you either have to transcode or proxy them.

So far I've had no issues working on the transcoded 422 LT files even on my i7 9th gen laptop.

aeronium's gear list:aeronium's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +10 more
Southstorm
Southstorm Forum Member • Posts: 52

aeronium wrote:

I have the R5. And even with a powerful i9-9900k + RTX 2080 + 64GB RAM PC, the 4k60 10 bit files are a pain to edit with, so you either have to transcode or proxy them.

So far I've had no issues working on the transcoded 422 LT files even on my i7 9th gen laptop.

What codec are you transcoding to?

Southstorm's gear list:Southstorm's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +11 more
aeronium Regular Member • Posts: 137

Southstorm wrote:

aeronium wrote:

What codec are you transcoding to?

Prores 422 LT

aeronium's gear list:aeronium's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +10 more
G Dickson
OP G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,647

MutantLabs wrote:

My R6 arrives tomorrow and I am having the same question. Will try out in the next days and report back here how it worked to be able to open and edit those 10 bit CLOG files in PPro and Resolve Free (if possible at all).

Besides my i9-based video and audio PC, I have a 15“ Macbook Pro with very similar specs to your Dell XPS, so I can probably tell how slow or fluid the editing will be.

That would be fantastic if you can do that.  Enjoy your new camera!

Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
hwzjerry Regular Member • Posts: 170

Resolve non studio doesn't open 10 bit files

hwzjerry's gear list:hwzjerry's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more

hwzjerry wrote:

Dammit, that's what I feared. I have been right on the fence to Resolve from PPro. Until now...

hwzjerry wrote:

After transcoding a 4K/25/Canon Log MP4 from the EOS R6 to Apple ProRes 422 LT (quicktime) using Adobe Media Encoder, I could open, edit and play the file in a 4K timeline in Resolve Free (non-Studio) just fine.

I could NOT open the original MP4 from the R6 without any transcoding, though. Resolve would only import the audio track then.

G Dickson wrote:

MutantLabs wrote:

That would be fantastic if you can do that. Enjoy your new camera!

I just recorded a few clips in 4K and HD using CLog and non-CLog to test this out.

The computer I tested this is on a 2015 MacBook Pro, 15" 4-physical-core i7 @ 2.5 GHz, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM, no dedicated graphics card

Media Encoder:

• a 32 second 4K/25 10-bit-file converts to ProRes 422 LT in 1:17 minutes
  • a 37 second HD/25 10-bit-file converts to ProRes 422 LT in 0:17 minutes
  • The output file size is then about double the size of the original R6 MP4

Premiere Pro:

I wanted to see how Premiere Pro handles the 10-bit files, performance wise. Especially compared to standard 8-bit files from my 6D Mark 2.

• As a reference, I can edit my 6DM2 8-bit HD-files on this computer in full resolution and with all edits just fine without noticeable frame drops
  • HD/25:
    • unedited, the program monitors shows no frame drops even in full resolution
    • edited (input lut and some adjustments in Basic panel), the program monitor usually stays green even in full resolution
  • 4K/25:
    • unedited, the program monitor shows some 1-digit frame drops in 1/4 and 1/2 resolution and stutters a bit
    • edited (input lut and some adjustments in Basic panel), the frame drops rise up to 2-digit numbers quickly
    • summing up: it's not really fun to edit 4K material on this CPU

Resolve (Free, non-Studio):

• Does NOT load the MP4 from the R6 directly
  • It DOES LOAD the transcoded ProRes 422 LT 10-bit file. It then can be edited and played just fine
  • 4K/25:
    • after generating optimized media, the program monitor plays unedited material in 25 fps (full frame rate, no drops)
    • edited (two nodes, 1 with color wheel adjustments, 1 with a LUT), it plays in full 25 fps as well
    • full program monitor frame rate can only be achieved on the Edit page, on the Color page it drops down to about 20 fps

To sum it up:

Conversion of HD 10-bit CLog footage using Media Encoder is quick and easy and leads to a smooth editing workflow in Premiere Pro even on older machines like my 2015 MBP.

4K takes way longer (4x) to transcode.

Premiere Pro: 4K editing isn't much fun on this computer as it starts to get sluggish after a few adjustments.

Resolve Free: editing 10-bit 4K/25 is smooth (within the range of the adjustments I made so far), after generating optimized media.

G Dickson

MutantLabs wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

MutantLabs wrote:

That would be fantastic if you can do that. Enjoy your new camera!

I just recorded a few clips in 4K and HD using CLog and non-CLog to test this out.

The computer I tested this is on a 2015 MacBook Pro, 15" 4-physical-core i7 @ 2.5 GHz, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM, no dedicated graphics card

Media Encoder:

• a 32 second 4K/25 10-bit-file converts to ProRes 422 LT in 1:17 minutes
  • a 37 second HD/25 10-bit-file converts to ProRes 422 LT in 0:17 minutes
  • The output file size is then about double the size of the original R6 MP4

Premiere Pro:

I wanted to see how Premiere Pro handles the 10-bit files, performance wise. Especially compared to standard 8-bit files from my 6D Mark 2.

• As a reference, I can edit my 6DM2 8-bit HD-files on this computer in full resolution and with all edits just fine without noticeable frame drops
  • HD/25:
    • unedited, the program monitors shows no frame drops even in full resolution
    • edited (input lut and some adjustments in Basic panel), the program monitor usually stays green even in full resolution
  • 4K/25:
    • unedited, the program monitor shows some 1-digit frame drops in 1/4 and 1/2 resolution and stutters a bit
    • edited (input lut and some adjustments in Basic panel), the frame drops rise up to 2-digit numbers quickly
    • summing up: it's not really fun to edit 4K material on this CPU

Resolve (Free, non-Studio):

• Does NOT load the MP4 from the R6 directly
  • It DOES LOAD the transcoded ProRes 422 LT 10-bit file. It then can be edited and played just fine
  • 4K/25:
    • after generating optimized media, the program monitor plays unedited material in 25 fps (full frame rate, no drops)
    • edited (two nodes, 1 with color wheel adjustments, 1 with a LUT), it plays in full 25 fps as well
    • full program monitor frame rate can only be achieved on the Edit page, on the Color page it drops down to about 20 fps

To sum it up:

Conversion of HD 10-bit CLog footage using Media Encoder is quick and easy and leads to a smooth editing workflow in Premiere Pro even on older machines like my 2015 MBP.

4K takes way longer (4x) to transcode.

Premiere Pro: 4K editing isn't much fun on this computer as it starts to get sluggish after a few adjustments.

Resolve Free: editing 10-bit 4K/25 is smooth (within the range of the adjustments I made so far), after generating optimized media.

This is so useful and appreciated.  It sounds like it's all pretty similar to the workflow that I have to do at the moment with my 4.2.2. 10 bit 4K files from my Panasonic G9.  A bit painful but not impossible to work with!

I too have a 6Dii and love it as a video making tool but the quality is a bit lacking.

Thanks again for taking the time to post all your findings.  How do you find the R6 overall?

traderjay
traderjay Regular Member • Posts: 466

Does transcoding the files result in any quality loss?

-- hide signature --

Workstations - EPYC 7702 + 3950X || NVIDIA RTX 2080ti || Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000

traderjay's gear list:traderjay's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite +1 more

G Dickson wrote:

(..)

How do you find the R6 overall?

I returned it, because it did not do for me what I expected it to do. Especially for that hefty price tag.

G Dickson

MutantLabs wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

(..)

I returned it, because it did not do for me what I expected it to do. Especially for that hefty price tag.

Thanks for the continued feedback.  It not meeting expectations was because of the workflow for video editing or was there other reasons if I may ask?

G Dickson wrote:

MutantLabs wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

(..)

Thanks for the continued feedback. It not meeting expectations was because of the workflow for video editing or was there other reasons if I may ask?

The video editing workflow was actually better than expected. Transcoding of 10 bit files is necessary but no hassle at all. Either using Adobe Media Encoder or ffmpeg for those without an Adobe subscription.

I am not saying that the R5 isn't a good camera, but I love my 6DMk2 for the things I am shooting. It's a very straightforward camera that I can 100% depend on. I am shooting "in the moment" and it has to be dependable, predicable and accurate. My keeper rate is excellent with this camera and I am really enjoying using it.

That said, the R5 did video better than the 6DMk2 and yes the AF is technically better, but my keeper rate of sharp images went downhill on the R6 massively. My guess is that the AF speed of the lenses is the limiting factor of the whole tracking thingy. IBIS did not do much for me and it's still not usable for handheld video at all (tested with RF IS lens).

And the short battery life, high priced bodies, expensive L-lenses and noisy, slow-focusing non-L lenses, no GPS, need to replace all my lenses for all advantages (= about 12.000€ re-investment), overheating, video recording limit, 20 MP sensor in 2020, no focus assistant for manual lenses do not sweeten the deal as well.

I'll stick with my 6DMk2 for stills and bought an A6400 for video.

G Dickson

MutantLabs wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

MutantLabs wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

(..)

Thanks for the continued feedback. It not meeting expectations was because of the workflow for video editing or was there other reasons if I may ask?

The video editing workflow was actually better than expected. Transcoding of 10 bit files is necessary but no hassle at all. Either using Adobe Media Encoder or ffmpeg for those without an Adobe subscription.

I am not saying that the R5 isn't a good camera, but I love my 6DMk2 for the things I am shooting. It's a very straightforward camera that I can 100% depend on. I am shooting "in the moment" and it has to be dependable, predicable and accurate. My keeper rate is excellent with this camera and I am really enjoying using it.

That said, the R5 did video better than the 6DMk2 and yes the AF is technically better, but my keeper rate of sharp images went downhill on the R6 massively. My guess is that the AF speed of the lenses is the limiting factor of the whole tracking thingy. IBIS did not do much for me and it's still not usable for handheld video at all (tested with RF IS lens).

And the short battery life, high priced bodies, expensive L-lenses and noisy, slow-focusing non-L lenses, no GPS, need to replace all my lenses for all advantages (= about 12.000€ re-investment), overheating, video recording limit, 20 MP sensor in 2020, no focus assistant for manual lenses do not sweeten the deal as well.

I'll stick with my 6DMk2 for stills and bought an A6400 for video.

Many thanks indeed for your helpful and honest thoughts.

DavidTS New Member • Posts: 3

Without a new computer that supports 10bits+ in depth decoding, you ll need to decode the files by cpu. You ll need to manually disable the gpu if you use davinci. Also using proxies will be needed for a decent speed. I found it better than transcoding. Compatibility issues will be mostly on the decoding post not encoding.

DavidTS New Member • Posts: 3

There s a work around.

I got a similar issue with my clog (non clog work fine) eos r6 files. In my case, this is due to the fact clog is 10 bits 422, which is not supported by my gpu. Previous files were only 8 bits. In this case, disable 'Intel quick sync' under preferences / decoder's options (or the gpu).

The decoding will then be fine by cpu which can be slow. Activate then proxies. It works fine after that. Just one more irritating step in the workflow.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads