Deer rutting season - M5 + ?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
TMC88 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Deer rutting season - M5 + ?

Hi everyone,

I'm going on an organised tour to see the stags during rutting season in the next couple of weeks.

Can I ask for your recommendations of what to pair with my M5 (with or without adapter) in order to get the best out of the experience? Longest lens I currently own is 55-250mm STM. FYI, i'm a landscape shooter so any additional hints and tips are welcomed.

Have a great day.

-- hide signature --

-T

TMC88's gear list:TMC88's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BonnieSueM Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Deer rutting season - M5 + ?

TMC88 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm going on an organised tour to see the stags during rutting season in the next couple of weeks.

Can I ask for your recommendations of what to pair with my M5 (with or without adapter) in order to get the best out of the experience? Longest lens I currently own is 55-250mm STM. FYI, i'm a landscape shooter so any additional hints and tips are welcomed.

Have a great day.

Is this a one off trip or would you like to have some longer glass in your bag? For a one off, maybe think about renting a 7dii and a 100-400ii. If you just want to buy something longer, I do love my 70-300 is ii usm. Although, it’s not that much longer than the 55-250, it’s much smaller/lighter than the 100-400s. Still not sure how well it would pair with an m5. It’s kind of ridiculous on my m100. For that reason, I find a monopod very helpful when I’m shooting longer focal lengths with the m. Good luck!

BonnieSueM's gear list:BonnieSueM's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +12 more
OP TMC88 Junior Member • Posts: 27

BonnieSueM wrote:

TMC88 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Have a great day.

Is this a one off trip or would you like to have some longer glass in your bag? For a one off, maybe think about renting a 7dii and a 100-400ii. If you just want to buy something longer, I do love my 70-300 is ii usm. Although, it’s not that much longer than the 55-250, it’s much smaller than the 100-400s. Still not sure how well it would pair with an m5. It’s kind of ridiculous on my m100. For that reason, I find a monopod very helpful when I’m shooting longer focal lengths with the m. Good luck!

Yes, a one-off morning shoot as part of a longer landscape photography trip. Renting is indeed the idea I had too. Really not sure how close is possible, allowed or safe with respect to these animals so I guess more mm are always better.

Thanks for the tip on the monopod - hadn't considered it.

-- hide signature --

-T

TMC88's gear list:TMC88's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM
Icagel Forum Member • Posts: 51

This sunday I was with M6 mk II and 55-250 stm. My plans is to get something longer. In 70-300 or 100-400 range. Maybe Tamron, maybe Sigma. Or canon 70-300. Will see.

Icagel's gear list:Icagel's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +2 more
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,035

TMC88 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Have a great day.

maybe a used old original 100-400 ?

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

ken_in_nh Contributing Member • Posts: 977

Maybe a salt lick?  That should attract deer better than any old lens.  

seriously, though, avoid the mistake I made for a safari in South Africa.  Took a nice Tamron 150-600.  Hardly ever used it, since we were too close to the animals for it to be useful.  I used my 55-250 the most.  YMMV of course, but what you need depends on where you'll be.  In a blind?  Camo?  Driving?  Will you have a guide?  If a guide, maybe ask the guide.

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,710

BonnieSueM wrote:

TMC88 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Have a great day.

Is this a one off trip or would you like to have some longer glass in your bag? For a one off, maybe think about renting a 7dii and a 100-400ii. If you just want to buy something longer, I do love my 70-300 is ii usm. Although, it’s not that much longer than the 55-250, it’s much smaller/lighter than the 100-400s. Still not sure how well it would pair with an m5. It’s kind of ridiculous on my m100. For that reason, I find a monopod very helpful when I’m shooting longer focal lengths with the m. Good luck!

+1 on renting!  Have a fun excursion.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
jim742 New Member • Posts: 4

No text.

Keyboard shortcuts: