Any selling points of an R6 vs A7III?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,567
Any selling points of an R6 vs A7III?

Disregarding lenses...

Are there any strong support for an A7III -> R6 upgrade, if it is that?

R6 is more expensive, less MP, but has a flip-out screen, slightly better IBIS, and some subjective benefits like colors, menus, ergonomics...

I actually think A7III has as good if not better AF to R6, but this is hard to measure (also, technically I tested a R5 - not gotten my hands on an R6 yet).

That pretty much seems like a wash, maybe a hair to the R6?

Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,101
Re: Any selling points of an R6 vs A7III?

MinAZ wrote:

Disregarding lenses...

R6 is more expensive, less MP, but has a flip-out screen, slightly better IBIS, and some subjective benefits like colors, menus, ergonomics...

I actually think A7III has as good if not better AF to R6, but this is hard to measure (also, technically I tested a R5 - not gotten my hands on an R6 yet).

If gear and brand is important for you, you already have Canon DSLR lenses and think using an adapter is ok, and you like/trust Canon more than Sony, Canon is the brand for you.

If the en result, the pictures, is your main concern, both cameras will fill the needs of skilled photographers.

IBIS depends on lenses, also for Canon, and who care about default factory jpg settings color? For jpg shooters there are lots of in-camera profiles, and they can even be tweaked in-camera. For raw it is all about profiles. Ergonomics is how a camera handles when you are used with it, not something that instantly has the same feel as what you are used with. Dpreview says Canon now has complex menus, so it looks like they are on par with Sony here ... but you get used to the menus, no matter brand. With a properly set up Sony, you hardly has to revisit the menus.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
ZilverHaylide Contributing Member • Posts: 669

Magnar W wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

Disregarding lenses...

If gear and brand is important for you, you already have Canon DSLR lenses and think using an adapter is ok, and you like/trust Canon more than Sony, Canon is the brand for you.

If the en result, the pictures, is your main concern, both cameras will fill the needs of skilled photographers.

IBIS depends on lenses, also for Canon, and who care about default factory jpg settings color? For jpg shooters there are lots of in-camera profiles, and they can even be tweaked in-camera. For raw it is all about profiles. Ergonomics is how a camera handles when you are used with it, not something that instantly has the same feel as what you are used with. Dpreview says Canon now has complex menus, so it looks like they are on par with Sony here ... but you get used to the menus, no matter brand. With a properly set up Sony, you hardly has to revisit the menus.

@MinAZ:

There's too much gear churning being done (or thought about) on these forums. Magnar W said it well: "If the end result, the pictures, is your main concern, both cameras will fill the needs of skilled photographers."

And a brand switch is going to be much more costly and disruptive than a camera upgrade within a brand. Finally, if you are already within the Sony system, you must be aware that though the A7iii is quite capable, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. But Sony hasn't quit the camera business. The proper implication of that isn't that you should switch systems (even if you have G.A.S.), but rather, that you should be looking forward to what the A7iv might bring. Who knows when, but I'd bet within a year. Is there any important application you have or intend, for which you can't tolerate/workaround any limitations of your A7iii, for about a year or so? If not, then don't even think about a switch to another brand.

If you really need a fully-articulated or forward-facing LCD now, adding an A7c (which I don't like because of the small viewfinder, among other reasons, but which does have that LCD capability), or some external display for your A7iii would probably cost you less and be less disruptive than a brand switch. And an external display would provide a substantially-larger view.

MinAZ
OP MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,567

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

Disregarding lenses...

@MinAZ:

There's too much gear churning being done (or thought about) on these forums. Magnar W said it well: "If the end result, the pictures, is your main concern, both cameras will fill the needs of skilled photographers."

And a brand switch is going to be much more costly and disruptive than a camera upgrade within a brand. Finally, if you are already within the Sony system, you must be aware that though the A7iii is quite capable, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. But Sony hasn't quit the camera business. The proper implication of that isn't that you should switch systems (even if you have G.A.S.), but rather, that you should be looking forward to what the A7iv might bring. Who knows when, but I'd bet within a year. Is there any important application you have or intend, for which you can't tolerate/workaround any limitations of your A7iii, for about a year or so? If not, then don't even think about a switch to another brand.

If you really need a fully-articulated or forward-facing LCD now, adding an A7c (which I don't like because of the small viewfinder, among other reasons, but which does have that LCD capability), or some external display for your A7iii would probably cost you less and be less disruptive than a brand switch. And an external display would provide a substantially-larger view.

You are absolutely right, no arguments from me. My situation is a bit unique in that I am completely invested in both systems and will be for the foreseeable future, there's a bit of history behind that. However, even so, I am tending to agree with the fact that the differences don't warrant a switch, and will probably retain the A7III and maybe see what the A7IV brings, when it does.

But, I'm always interested to hear the opinions of others. I have been wrong before!

Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 6,840

MinAZ wrote:

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

MinAZ wrote:

Disregarding lenses...

@MinAZ:

You are absolutely right, no arguments from me. My situation is a bit unique in that I am completely invested in both systems and will be for the foreseeable future, there's a bit of history behind that. However, even so, I am tending to agree with the fact that the differences don't warrant a switch, and will probably retain the A7III and maybe see what the A7IV brings, when it does.

Did use Sony and Canon. Now my last Canon is gone and no regret, just releif. Sony all the way here and quite a few shillings saved. Both systems are equally capable but the Sony system is made for me, Canon is not. Simple as that.

If one does not get good images with a Sony system then switch systems - and the images will still be as mediocre as before. Happily there is still a reason for putting a brain behind the camera...

But, I'm always interested to hear the opinions of others. I have been wrong before!

Who have not?

juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

MinAZ wrote:

Disregarding lenses...

I just extended the warranty of my A7III One more year, so for now I’ll stay with Sony. 
I was planning on moving to the R5/R6, but they’re just released and are too expensive, so I will wait a bit longer so that they drop in price and also I can find a cheap second body... so far I might buy the eos R again for some time, but I’ll keep my Sony as well for low light as I need ibis.

in the future I know that I will move to Canon as I prefer Canon colors, screens, menus, etc, but for now, Sony has some interesting quality/price lenses that are not yet available in Canon, and also the A7III is still a bargain for what it offers and the price I paid for it...

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +9 more
Mike2019 Regular Member • Posts: 469

An A7iv will be announced in November or so, and an A7Rv in Q1 of 2021.

You might want to wait until then.

Tommy S
Tommy S Contributing Member • Posts: 581

Mike2019 wrote:

Maybe it will be, maybe not. I doubt Sony might be interested in introducing A7 mk4 now. Why?

• A7c is already on the market.
  • A7R4 is almost a perfect camera. 
  • A9II the same as A7R4

Moreover, A7mk4 might be between A7c and A7R4 as far as a price point. A6600 is not a big success because its price is too close to A7III. A6400 is more successful on the market.

Sony is not interested in pampering its customers. Too wide choice paralyzes decision making.

-- hide signature --

Tom S (Poland)
http://justimpress.me

Tommy S's gear list:Tommy S's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN

Tommy S wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

Maybe it will be, maybe not. I doubt Sony might be interested in introducing A7 mk4 now. Why?

• A9II the same as A7R4

Moreover, A7mk4 might be between A7c and A7R4 as far as a price point. A6600 is not a big success because its price is too close to A7III. A6400 is more successful on the market.

Sony is not interested in pampering its customers. Too wide choice paralyzes decision making.

A7 mk4 will be cheaper than the A7R4, and will have a better low-light performance because of a sensor with fewer pixels, and hopefully will have new video formats, plus the latest color science from the A7Siii, and AF improvements.

Tommy S
Tommy S Contributing Member • Posts: 581

Mike2019 wrote:

Tommy S wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

• A9II the same as A7R4

A7 mk4 will be cheaper than the A7R4, and will have a better low-light performance because of a sensor with fewer pixels, and hopefully will have new video formats, plus the latest color science from the A7Siii, and AF improvements.

Maybe it will have all those things, or maybe it is just a wishful thinking. I am afraid that AF improvement will endanger A9II. And it is hard to believe in debuting of A7mk4 in the near future (IMO)

-- hide signature --

Tom S (Poland)
http://justimpress.me

Tommy S's gear list:Tommy S's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,645

You can't just "disregard lenses" because it's key to the core benefit of any Sony camera.

RF L 85/1.2 vs Sigma DG DN 85/1.4 - the difference in size/weight/cost is light and day.

If you want premium glass to get the most out of your shiny new camera, your only option is Canon's overpriced, expensive, heavy, RF L series stuff. Sony, on the other hand..

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM

Tommy S wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

Tommy S wrote:

Mike2019 wrote:

• A9II the same as A7R4

Maybe it will have all those things, or maybe it is just a wishful thinking. I am afraid that AF improvement will endanger A9II. And it is hard to believe in debuting of A7mk4 in the near future (IMO)

Historically, a new A7 has been released every 2 years, and so it is time now.

Could be as early as November or so.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads