Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
akbc Junior Member • Posts: 35
Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

Are the pins in the D800 CF card slot all the same length?

I noticed that 13th pin in the center of top and bottom row seems to longer from left to right.

Also, pin 1 on top and pin 25 on bottom row seems to be longer.

Lastly, pin 25 on top row and pin 1 on bottom row seems to be shorter than all other pins.

Again this counting from left to right with the rear LCD facing down.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,943
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?
4

Do you have a problem or are you just pin length ocd.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

 romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
OP akbc Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

romfordbluenose wrote:

Do you have a problem or are you just pin length ocd.

I am not sure if it is a problem with the CF slot or the CF card. The card was working until yesterday but today when I turned on the camera and showing CF card error. I only have one CF card so I don't have another one to try. I tried to format it in the camera and it said format complete but it still said error. I was just looking at the pins, none of them were bent or missing and also the pin holes on the CF card looks good but I noticed the different lengths of the pins in the slot. Finally, I found a photo online which matches the pin in the CF slot so I suspect the card maybe the problem. I don't have or use a CF reader, I just use the HDMI cable to transfer the files or copy the files to the SD card and take the SD card out. I guess need to order a n ew card and try it again.

Anyway, if anyone is curious, the attached photo is a CF connector and you can see the pins that I talked about that are different lengths on the connector. I suspect they are longer because they are like guide or index pins to line up the card when it is being inserted.

cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,404
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

akbc wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

Do you have a problem or are you just pin length ocd.

I am not sure if it is a problem with the CF slot or the CF card. The card was working until yesterday but today when I turned on the camera and showing CF card error. I only have one CF card so I don't have another one to try. I tried to format it in the camera and it said format complete but it still said error. I was just looking at the pins, none of them were bent or missing and also the pin holes on the CF card looks good but I noticed the different lengths of the pins in the slot. Finally, I found a photo online which matches the pin in the CF slot so I suspect the card maybe the problem. I don't have or use a CF reader, I just use the HDMI cable to transfer the files or copy the files to the SD card and take the SD card out. I guess need to order a n ew card and try it again.

Anyway, if anyone is curious, the attached photo is a CF connector and you can see the pins that I talked about that are different lengths on the connector. I suspect they are longer because they are like guide or index pins to line up the card when it is being inserted.

I would imagine that what you show is the CF standard. and the pin's inside any camera with CF will be the same length's, perhaps the longer pins are earth's ?. Can you format using a computer then re format in the camera.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D2X Olympus OM-D E-M1X Nikon D1 Nikon D1H +16 more
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,572
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

Pretty hard to see, but mine all seems to be of same length...

No shops near you where you can test card and camera? Otherwise contact your Nikon Service Center...

 Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +1 more
OP akbc Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

Janoch wrote:

Pretty hard to see, but mine all seems to be of same length...

No shops near you where you can test card and camera? Otherwise contact your Nikon Service Center...

It is very hard to see, they look the same if you look at them head on but if you move the camera from side to side you might see it.  When I first looked at them they looks the same but when I tilt the camera bit from side to side then I realize they are different and they look exactly them same as the photo I posted.  I need to get a new card and try or get a card reader and connect to my PC and try formatting it.  I am not sure what format is used for CF card.  I know SD card can be formatted to FAT32, NTFS or exFat which depend which format the device uses .  There is also the really old FAT/FAT16 but only do 4 gigabytes partition.

cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,404
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

akbc wrote:

Janoch wrote:

Pretty hard to see, but mine all seems to be of same length...

No shops near you where you can test card and camera? Otherwise contact your Nikon Service Center...

It is very hard to see, they look the same if you look at them head on but if you move the camera from side to side you might see it. When I first looked at them they looks the same but when I tilt the camera bit from side to side then I realize they are different and they look exactly them same as the photo I posted. I need to get a new card and try or get a card reader and connect to my PC and try formatting it. I am not sure what format is used for CF card. I know SD card can be formatted to FAT32, NTFS or exFat which depend which format the device uses . There is also the really old FAT/FAT16 but only do 4 gigabytes partition.

Just a thought has the card been out of the camera apart from fitting into a card reader. It's possible to have one of the pin holes blocked with trouser fluff or some other foreign object. that will stop current flow, It may be that the card has simply failed.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

 cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D2X Olympus OM-D E-M1X Nikon D1 Nikon D1H +16 more
pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,698
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?
3

Ground pins are longer. First to connect, last to break connection.

-- hide signature --

Peter
_
Jedem das Seine, mir das Meiste!

 pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D1X Nikon D4S +25 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,755
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

pforsell wrote:

Ground pins are longer. First to connect, last to break connection.

Very interesting. I knew that some pins were longer, but didn't know why.

 shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon D850 Nikon D750 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,430
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

akbc wrote:

Janoch wrote:

Pretty hard to see, but mine all seems to be of same length...

No shops near you where you can test card and camera? Otherwise contact your Nikon Service Center...

It is very hard to see, they look the same if you look at them head on but if you move the camera from side to side you might see it. When I first looked at them they looks the same but when I tilt the camera bit from side to side then I realize they are different and they look exactly them same as the photo I posted. I need to get a new card and try or get a card reader and connect to my PC and try formatting it. I am not sure what format is used for CF card. I know SD card can be formatted to FAT32, NTFS or exFat which depend which format the device uses . There is also the really old FAT/FAT16 but only do 4 gigabytes partition.

My CF 64 GB is automatically formatted to FAT32 - you can check the card properties when connected to a PC or Mac.

You should always format the memory card using the camera rather than computer.  The camera will set the memory card up to the required file structure.

You should get a good card reader to transfer files to your PC - I use a Lexar USB3 Dual-Slot reader (CF and SD) (LRW400U) - avoid generic no name reader. A card reader will free up your camera and saves battery. I don't really know how you could operate your camera with only one memory card, at the very least 2 just in case one fails - or full up.

A closer look at my Lexar reader confirms different pin lengths similar to the photo you posted.

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
OP akbc Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

mais51 wrote:

akbc wrote:

Janoch wrote:

Pretty hard to see, but mine all seems to be of same length...

No shops near you where you can test card and camera? Otherwise contact your Nikon Service Center...

It is very hard to see, they look the same if you look at them head on but if you move the camera from side to side you might see it. When I first looked at them they looks the same but when I tilt the camera bit from side to side then I realize they are different and they look exactly them same as the photo I posted. I need to get a new card and try or get a card reader and connect to my PC and try formatting it. I am not sure what format is used for CF card. I know SD card can be formatted to FAT32, NTFS or exFat which depend which format the device uses . There is also the really old FAT/FAT16 but only do 4 gigabytes partition.

My CF 64 GB is automatically formatted to FAT32 - you can check the card properties when connected to a PC or Mac.

You should always format the memory card using the camera rather than computer. The camera will set the memory card up to the required file structure.

You should get a good card reader to transfer files to your PC - I use a Lexar USB3 Dual-Slot reader (CF and SD) (LRW400U) - avoid generic no name reader. A card reader will free up your camera and saves battery. I don't really know how you could operate your camera with only one memory card, at the very least 2 just in case one fails - or full up.

A closer look at my Lexar reader confirms different pin lengths similar to the photo you posted.

Most of the time I use the SD card.  I have a couple Scandisk SD 128g cards and a few other 64g ones two.

mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,430
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

akbc wrote:

mais51 wrote:

akbc wrote:

Janoch wrote:

Pretty hard to see, but mine all seems to be of same length...

No shops near you where you can test card and camera? Otherwise contact your Nikon Service Center...

It is very hard to see, they look the same if you look at them head on but if you move the camera from side to side you might see it. When I first looked at them they looks the same but when I tilt the camera bit from side to side then I realize they are different and they look exactly them same as the photo I posted. I need to get a new card and try or get a card reader and connect to my PC and try formatting it. I am not sure what format is used for CF card. I know SD card can be formatted to FAT32, NTFS or exFat which depend which format the device uses . There is also the really old FAT/FAT16 but only do 4 gigabytes partition.

My CF 64 GB is automatically formatted to FAT32 - you can check the card properties when connected to a PC or Mac.

You should always format the memory card using the camera rather than computer. The camera will set the memory card up to the required file structure.

You should get a good card reader to transfer files to your PC - I use a Lexar USB3 Dual-Slot reader (CF and SD) (LRW400U) - avoid generic no name reader. A card reader will free up your camera and saves battery. I don't really know how you could operate your camera with only one memory card, at the very least 2 just in case one fails - or full up.

A closer look at my Lexar reader confirms different pin lengths similar to the photo you posted.

Most of the time I use the SD card. I have a couple Scandisk SD 128g cards and a few other 64g ones two.

I used to shot Raw to CF,  JPG and Movie to SD mainly because CF were faster than SD then, now SD cards are must faster than CF - nevertheless a good card reader is a must have in any gadget bag.

 mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
OP akbc Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

akbc wrote:

mais51 wrote:

akbc wrote:

Janoch wrote:

Pretty hard to see, but mine all seems to be of same length...

No shops near you where you can test card and camera? Otherwise contact your Nikon Service Center...

It is very hard to see, they look the same if you look at them head on but if you move the camera from side to side you might see it. When I first looked at them they looks the same but when I tilt the camera bit from side to side then I realize they are different and they look exactly them same as the photo I posted. I need to get a new card and try or get a card reader and connect to my PC and try formatting it. I am not sure what format is used for CF card. I know SD card can be formatted to FAT32, NTFS or exFat which depend which format the device uses . There is also the really old FAT/FAT16 but only do 4 gigabytes partition.

My CF 64 GB is automatically formatted to FAT32 - you can check the card properties when connected to a PC or Mac.

You should always format the memory card using the camera rather than computer. The camera will set the memory card up to the required file structure.

You should get a good card reader to transfer files to your PC - I use a Lexar USB3 Dual-Slot reader (CF and SD) (LRW400U) - avoid generic no name reader. A card reader will free up your camera and saves battery. I don't really know how you could operate your camera with only one memory card, at the very least 2 just in case one fails - or full up.

A closer look at my Lexar reader confirms different pin lengths similar to the photo you posted.

Most of the time I use the SD card. I have a couple Scandisk SD 128g cards and a few other 64g ones two.

I was able to borrow a CF card from a friend, it turns out to be a bad CF card. Another interesting thing is my friend also has a Digitech slim SD to CF type I adapter, I tried it with a SD card and it works too. It is kind of cool, I am going to get one instead of getting a new CF card so I can use SD cards in both slots

BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,487
Re: Are the pins in the D800/e CF card slot all the same length?

pforsell wrote:

Ground pins are longer. First to connect, last to break connection.

Yes and power pins are the last to connect.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
just Tony
just Tony Senior Member • Posts: 2,940
Power & Ground connect before Data lines

Basic rule for connecting removable circuits, it helps keep the Magic Smoke inside 😉

And it also bears saying that the pins have NO power whatsoever regarding physical alignment of the card. I had unfortunate experience along that line with a CF socket on a PC that was too shallow to do a good job and several pins were mangled, hurting a cheap card in the bargain.

cosmicnode wrote:

akbc wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

Do you have a problem or are you just pin length ocd.

I am not sure if it is a problem with the CF slot or the CF card. The card was working until yesterday but today when I turned on the camera and showing CF card error. I only have one CF card so I don't have another one to try. I tried to format it in the camera and it said format complete but it still said error. I was just looking at the pins, none of them were bent or missing and also the pin holes on the CF card looks good but I noticed the different lengths of the pins in the slot. Finally, I found a photo online which matches the pin in the CF slot so I suspect the card maybe the problem. I don't have or use a CF reader, I just use the HDMI cable to transfer the files or copy the files to the SD card and take the SD card out. I guess need to order a n ew card and try it again.

Anyway, if anyone is curious, the attached photo is a CF connector and you can see the pins that I talked about that are different lengths on the connector. I suspect they are longer because they are like guide or index pins to line up the card when it is being inserted.

I would imagine that what you show is the CF standard. and the pin's inside any camera with CF will be the same length's, perhaps the longer pins are earth's ?. Can you format using a computer then re format in the camera.

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads