Em1 MkIII does good astrophotography

Started 2 months ago | Photos
Grimstod Regular Member • Posts: 193
Em1 MkIII does good astrophotography

Testing out a new camera. This was taken last night(well this morning really) at Naylor Observatory. Bortle 5 sky. Using my own scope 80x522mm f6.3 and a new Em1 Mk3 which is on lone form Olympus. Think I will have to buy it now. 25x60s exposures. ISO1600 40 darks, 200 bias, 200 flats, 200 dark flats.

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,593
Re: Em1 MkIII does good astrophotography

Well done.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,807

Grimstod wrote:

... 25x60s exposures. ISO1600 40 darks, 200 bias, 200 flats, 200 dark flats.

Would you explain to someone who doesn't do this type of astro shooting why and how you used so many darks, and what the different type are and the purpose they serve?

Oh, and, fabulous image!

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
OP Grimstod Regular Member • Posts: 193

boxerman wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

... 25x60s exposures. ISO1600 40 darks, 200 bias, 200 flats, 200 dark flats.

Would you explain to someone who doesn't do this type of astro shooting why and how you used so many darks, and what the different type are and the purpose they serve?

Oh, and, fabulous image!

The calibration frames get rid of the noise. You can gain almost 5 stops using enough of them. Here is a series of videos on how and why. I think there are four videos here.

drj3 wrote:

Well done.

Thanks. I am excited to keep getting it even better.

sunnydayz Forum Member • Posts: 99

Grimstod wrote:

Testing out a new camera. This was taken last night(well this morning really) at Naylor Observatory. Bortle 5 sky. Using my own scope 80x522mm f6.3 and a new Em1 Mk3 which is on lone form Olympus. Think I will have to buy it now. 25x60s exposures. ISO1600 40 darks, 200 bias, 200 flats, 200 dark flats.

Not to C&C or anything because you've presented a beautiful image. Just wondering, when I open the image via the 'original size' link I can really zoom in and see red, blue and green noise and also vertical stripes in the image. I guess you must be stacking images to reduce noise, but how to approach tackling the 'artifacts' I mentioned?

Thanks.

sunnydayz's gear list:sunnydayz's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F +14 more

sunnydayz wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Not to C&C or anything because you've presented a beautiful image. Just wondering, when I open the image via the 'original size' link I can really zoom in and see red, blue and green noise and also vertical stripes in the image. I guess you must be stacking images to reduce noise, but how to approach tackling the 'artifacts' I mentioned?

Thanks.

I sorta underestimated this sensors ability to captures highlights. I should have taken longer exposures. I only did 60sec exposures. Ill do this agin soon with 2 or maybe even 5min subs. The pictures were very underexposed so longer exposure will fix that even if I cannot take as many. I was just using setting that I used on my old EM1.1 Its very easy to overexpose the core of the galaxy but as you can see is should have taken longer exposures.

sunnydayz Forum Member • Posts: 99

Thanks for explaining. I'm not an Astro shooter by any means. City lights kill the night sky where I'm at and can't drive far enough within reason to get away from it. I like looking at nice Astrophotographs, so was curious.

sunnydayz's gear list:sunnydayz's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F +14 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 8,860

Fantastic

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +11 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 42,710

Grimstod wrote:

Very nice!  I don't know which program you are using to stack the shots, but maybe doing an export through DX0Lab with noise reduction will help get rid of the magenta/color noise in the dark areas-> then stack.

But I do not really have experience with these workflows, so not saying that from experience.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Pete Berry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,699
A spectacular image lies within the noise!

Grimstod wrote:

sunnydayz wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Thanks.

I sorta underestimated this sensors ability to captures highlights. I should have taken longer exposures. I only did 60sec exposures. Ill do this agin soon with 2 or maybe even 5min subs. The pictures were very underexposed so longer exposure will fix that even if I cannot take as many. I was just using setting that I used on my old EM1.1 Its very easy to overexpose the core of the galaxy but as you can see is should have taken longer exposures.

Grimstod, this is a very nice, detailed capture with an excellent optic - no distortions corner to corner, excellent tracking, but with a heavy veil of noise when seen at 100%. I took the liberty of importing your full res. image into PS-10 and doing simple adjustments with levels: specifically, pushing in the black input level markedly up to 90 (from 0) while pulling back white input to 208 (from 256) where the white values begin to brighten, so no clipping of whites, but severly clipped blacks, which wipes out the huge amount of starfield black sky worm-like noise seen at 100%, while increasing contrast in the galaxy's spiral arms. Then an adjustment in color balance to subdue the yellow-reds. No NR used at all - you simply make the black sky black as it should be. A few of the very dimmest stars are lost, but star colors are accentuated.

I've used this technique for wide-field Milky Way, Southern Cross, etc. long exposure photography in the past.

Mod. of Grimstod's Andromeda Galaxy

Re: A spectacular image lies within the noise!

Pete Berry wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

sunnydayz wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Thanks.

Grimstod, this is a very nice, detailed capture with an excellent optic - no distortions corner to corner, excellent tracking, but with a heavy veil of noise when seen at 100%. I took the liberty of importing your full res. image into PS-10 and doing simple adjustments with levels: specifically, pushing in the black input level markedly up to 90 (from 0) while pulling back white input to 208 (from 256) where the white values begin to brighten, so no clipping of whites, but severly clipped blacks, which wipes out the huge amount of starfield black sky worm-like noise seen at 100%, while increasing contrast in the galaxy's spiral arms. Then an adjustment in color balance to subdue the yellow-reds. No NR used at all - you simply make the black sky black as it should be. A few of the very dimmest stars are lost, but star colors are accentuated.

I've used this technique for wide-field Milky Way, Southern Cross, etc. long exposure photography in the past.

Mod. of Grimstod's Andromeda Galaxy

Nice work Pete. I am aware of how to do this but just could not get myself to loose the outer edges of the galaxy. I am going to give this target another try though. This time I am going to double exposure length. This target is rather underexposed so double exposure time will get rid of all the noise.

Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,475

Very nice indeed, thank you for sharing.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +22 more
BluenoseNS
BluenoseNS Regular Member • Posts: 441
Expert results

Thanks for posting this

it serves to inspire in more ways than one

BluenoseNS's gear list:BluenoseNS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN-F
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads