Peak Design Cuff for EM1.2

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
RobbieBear Senior Member • Posts: 2,115
Peak Design Cuff for EM1.2

Just ordered a PD Cuff for my EM1.2.

Just interested to know if folks remove the strap before putting the camera in your bag. Have heard that the metal loop can scratchdamage screens and things.

Have been using leather Footprint wrist straps and never removed it, just stuff it away at the end of my shooting.

Now decided to get the cuff and may supplement it with the PD Slide lite. This would seem a great combo and so easy to swap.

Any comments folks?

RobbieBear's gear list:RobbieBear's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trolleyman Regular Member • Posts: 357
Re: Peak Design Cuff for EM1.2

Tried one at a photo show last year, not impressed. Seemed expensive and over elaborate compared to a normal wrist strap.

This serves the same purpose in a simpler way for about a third of the cost. https://www.cordweaver.co.uk/product-page/braided-cord-amp-leather-wrist-strap-1

They make the straps to order, mine has the Peak Design quick release as part of it. Do have the Slide Lite strap, but that has gone back in the cupboard. Looked like a good idea, but again too much messing about plus the neck part wasn't very comfortable.

Jvlahakis
Jvlahakis Contributing Member • Posts: 893

Not too crazy about it.  Plus is that it’s light weight and easy to attach and detach.  Down side is it has a funny way of retracting that makes it very uncomfortable to use when you want to hand=g the camera off of your wrist.

Jvlahakis's gear list:Jvlahakis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 50R Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +11 more
OP RobbieBear Senior Member • Posts: 2,115

Trolleyman wrote:

Tried one at a photo show last year, not impressed. Seemed expensive and over elaborate compared to a normal wrist strap.

This serves the same purpose in a simpler way for about a third of the cost. https://www.cordweaver.co.uk/product-page/braided-cord-amp-leather-wrist-strap-1

What I like about the PD cuff is that the anchors that stay on the camera can also easily connect to the PD slide lite when I might need hands free.

Only time will tell when I start using it.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more

Jvlahakis wrote:

Not too crazy about it. Plus is that it’s light weight and easy to attach and detach. Down side is it has a funny way of retracting that makes it very uncomfortable to use when you want to hand=g the camera off of your wrist.

If I don't like it will try to pick up another Footprints wrist strap. I have enjoyed using that but thought I would try something different.

One strap I won't be using is the one that came with the EM1.2!

Trolleyman Regular Member • Posts: 357

RobbieBear wrote:

Trolleyman wrote:

What I like about the PD cuff is that the anchors that stay on the camera can also easily connect to the PD slide lite when I might need hands free.

I did say that the wrist strap I use has a PD anchor for that same reason. Didn't work out with the slide lite. Is handy for changing between cameras so not all bad.

Didnt like their bags much either and as for the tripod, not at any price thanks very much

Trolleyman wrote:

RobbieBear wrote:

Trolleyman wrote:

I did say that the wrist strap I use has a PD anchor for that same reason. Didn't work out with the slide lite. Is handy for changing between cameras so not all bad.

Didnt like their bags much either and as for the tripod, not at any price thanks very much

Not a great cost to give it a try.

Agree, not too keen on the bags. Totally happy with my Tenba Cooper Slim for years now.

Have couple of Vanguard tripods, one for travel and one for heavier duty use, so sorted on that score.

mchnz Senior Member • Posts: 1,512

RobbieBear wrote:

Just interested to know if folks remove the strap before putting the camera in your bag. Have heard that the metal loop can scratchdamage screens and things.

I have the PD Cuff, its OK, but it's on my backup "lite" camera (E-M5 II) so it doesn't get much use.. It's main advantage is the quick release. Whether it's safe to leave it own or not might depend on the layout of your bag - if the metal bit can be tucked away from the camera it could be OK to leave it on.

Have been using leather Footprint wrist straps and never removed it, just stuff it away at the end of my shooting.

Now decided to get the cuff and may supplement it with the PD Slide lite. This would seem a great combo and so easy to swap.

I bought the PD Slide Lite, expecting to use it on my primary camera (E-M1 III), but I don't like the two big clips hanging on the camera, they're very clunky and rattly against the body. I've relegated the Slide Lite to a quick release strap for my Tenba BYOB bag insert.  It's possible I didn't give it a fair go on the camera, but I took an instant dislike to the rattly clips.

On my main camera body I'm happier with the less flashy more traditional Manfroto Street CSC camera Strap. It looks traditional and doesn't shout any brand name. It may be a little less robustly constructed than the OEM strap, less stitching/material overlaps.  There's no quick release.  I did try the PD clips on the Manfroto strap, but I didn't like it - it also seemed clunky and rattly.

Any comments folks?

DrWu
DrWu Contributing Member • Posts: 527

I have E-M1MkII and have been using Peak Design Cuff and Slite Lite with it about 19 months. At first I too was concerned that the metal parts of Cuff and Slite Lite could do some damage to camera body. I was not worrried about the back screen because I keep it always "closed" when the camera is in the bag (and also about 90% of time when I am carrying the camera and shooting). PD changes the design and updates their products from time to time and since they haven´t replaced the metal buckles with some high quality plastic I guess they have not gotten negative feedback and reports about the metal parts damaging cameras. I carry my cameras usually in Tenba DNA 13 and when I put the camera back to bag I twist, place and fold the Slite Lite or Cuff so that only the soft fabric is in contact with the camera. So after about 19 months of use I can not spot any scratches caused by Peak Design.

And what comes to usability, practicality, comfort and concept of the Cuff and Slite Lite I am very satisfied with both and would not want to use anything else instead of them. I have tried their bags too but was not impressed.  I prefer Tenba DNA - the best shoulder bag I have ever had in my about 35 years in photography.

Pekka

DrWu's gear list:DrWu's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR III Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 14,103

I have a PD Cuff version 1, which I heavily modified. The original Cuff had an auto-closing plastic strap holder thingie. I had my Cuff cut and restitched, removing the tensioner and leaving it just as a standard loop.

I leave it on the camera the entire time. The main plastic/metal part can't reach the screen (though has managed to wear a mark on the paint by the eyelet). If I had one with the magnetic latch, I'd just tuck it down the side of the camera and avoid draping it across the screen.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Matthew Schofield Junior Member • Posts: 45

I have the cuff and wear it like a bracelet.  I don't stow it attached to a body.  I attach and detach bodies to it when needed. When you don't have a body attached, the loose end wraps round your wrist and the clip magnetically attaches to the strap, so it becomes a bracelet (tag doesn't dangle down).

It's useful if swapping bodies a lot in the studio or if I'm hiking and my camera is attached to my PD Capture Clip (i detach it so it's a bracelet on my wrist again).  The rest of the time I use the PD Leash.  The cuff isn't the most comfy or stylish wrist strap if just using 1 body for +hours.

Wildalaskaken
Wildalaskaken Senior Member • Posts: 1,397

Been hauling it around SE Asia on my G9 and couldnt be happier. Inexpensive, well made and perfect for my needs.

Wildalaskaken's gear list:Wildalaskaken's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Contributing Member • Posts: 917

RobbieBear wrote:

Any comments folks?

Tried it and didn't like it, but got the PD Clutch instead which is a hand strap rather than a wrist strap. To me it gives a lot more support and comfort, by wrapping around the back of the hand. With the PD anchors I can take it off and put on one of their shoulder straps easily. I have a Clutch on both my EM1.2 and G9 most of the time. Works especially well with the larger lenses like the 12-100, 50-200, and 100-400.

Dick

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 +8 more

DrWu wrote:

I have E-M1MkII and have been using Peak Design Cuff and Slite Lite with it about 19 months. At first I too was concerned that the metal parts of Cuff and Slite Lite could do some damage to camera body. I was not worrried about the back screen because I keep it always "closed" when the camera is in the bag (and also about 90% of time when I am carrying the camera and shooting). PD changes the design and updates their products from time to time and since they haven´t replaced the metal buckles with some high quality plastic I guess they have not gotten negative feedback and reports about the metal parts damaging cameras. I carry my cameras usually in Tenba DNA 13 and when I put the camera back to bag I twist, place and fold the Slite Lite or Cuff so that only the soft fabric is in contact with the camera. So after about 19 months of use I can not spot any scratches caused by Peak Design.

Thanks, will suck it and see and let folks know after a while how I get on.

And what comes to usability, practicality, comfort and concept of the Cuff and Slite Lite I am very satisfied with both and would not want to use anything else instead of them. I have tried their bags too but was not impressed. I prefer Tenba DNA - the best shoulder bag I have ever had in my about 35 years in photography.

Love my Tenba Cooper. It soft so moulds around me especially when camera and a lens are in hand.

Pekka

Martin.au wrote:

I have a PD Cuff version 1, which I heavily modified. The original Cuff had an auto-closing plastic strap holder thingie. I had my Cuff cut and restitched, removing the tensioner and leaving it just as a standard loop.

I leave it on the camera the entire time. The main plastic/metal part can't reach the screen (though has managed to wear a mark on the paint by the eyelet). If I had one with the magnetic latch, I'd just tuck it down the side of the camera and avoid draping it across the screen.

I think I will be inclined to do the same, although wearing it as a bracelet means it's handy so may appeal to me.

Matthew Schofield wrote:

I have the cuff and wear it like a bracelet. I don't stow it attached to a body. I attach and detach bodies to it when needed. When you don't have a body attached, the loose end wraps round your wrist and the clip magnetically attaches to the strap, so it becomes a bracelet (tag doesn't dangle down).

That does quite appeal to me. Will give it a go once it arrives.

It's useful if swapping bodies a lot in the studio or if I'm hiking and my camera is attached to my PD Capture Clip (i detach it so it's a bracelet on my wrist again). The rest of the time I use the PD Leash. The cuff isn't the most comfy or stylish wrist strap if just using 1 body for +hours.

Not concerned with style, but do want comfort. My leather Footprint wrist strap on the EM1 gets used for several hours at a time. I tend to hold it with my fingers so that the grip is just balanced, hardly gripping it at all. With the 12-40, I find it balances very well held in this way

Wildalaskaken wrote:

Been hauling it around SE Asia on my G9 and couldnt be happier. Inexpensive, well made and perfect for my needs.

Thanks, hopefully it will fit me as well.

-- hide signature --

Dick Barbour wrote:

RobbieBear wrote:

Any comments folks?

Tried it and didn't like it, but got the PD Clutch instead which is a hand strap rather than a wrist strap. To me it gives a lot more support and comfort, by wrapping around the back of the hand. With the PD anchors I can take it off and put on one of their shoulder straps easily. I have a Clutch on both my EM1.2 and G9 most of the time. Works especially well with the larger lenses like the 12-100, 50-200, and 100-400.

Dick

Cheers for advice. The cuff seems more minimal and that was a reason for me going for it. However, if it proves uncomfortable with the 40-150 pro, I might be tempted to try the Clutch.

Wildalaskaken
Wildalaskaken Senior Member • Posts: 1,397

RobbieBear wrote:

Dick Barbour wrote:

RobbieBear wrote:

Any comments folks?

Dick

Cheers for advice. The cuff seems more minimal and that was a reason for me going for it. However, if it proves uncomfortable with the 40-150 pro, I might be tempted to try the Clutch.

MY eaelier post was in error, I have the cuff and love it. Im not good with product names.

Wildalaskaken's gear list:Wildalaskaken's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Moggi1964
Moggi1964 Regular Member • Posts: 219

Jvlahakis wrote:

Not too crazy about it. Plus is that it’s light weight and easy to attach and detach. Down side is it has a funny way of retracting that makes it very uncomfortable to use when you want to hand=g the camera off of your wrist.

Mostly I don't let the camera dangle from the strap but there are times when it is convenient to let it do so.

If I need to do so for any extended period, I find that if I just put two fingers around the bottom the clip where the two anchor cords exit the clip I can take some of the weight off my wrist. Doing it like that I'm not in any danger of releasing the clip.

I use it as more of a safety device than a 'strap', coupled with my PD Capture when I am out and about.

I also use a screen protector on my camera so am not concerned about the screen getting scratched so mostly I just leave the strap attached when I put it away in the bag. In all honesty, I had forgotten that it folds around your wrist which at the time I got it I thought was a neat idea. I'll have to try it

Moggi1964's gear list:Moggi1964's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Samsung Galaxy S10+ +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads