Front End Lens Cap Question!

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Geoff Winterman Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Front End Lens Cap Question!

I have a couple of Fuji kit lenses, Fuji XF 55-200mm and the XF 18-55mm.

Over the years I've managed to loose the two Fuji lens caps and they have been replaced by a couple of Tamron 58mm caps and I noted they were interchangeable between the two lenses.

I lost one of those last weekend and need a replacement, but I've just noticed that, though the one remaining Tamron cap fits both lenses and has 58mm stamped on it, on the lenses themselves they have different sizes stamped on the front.

Is the figure I've highlighted the cap size or something else?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
HaroldC3
HaroldC3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,705
Re: Front End Lens Cap Question!

Geoff Winterman wrote:

Over the years I've managed to loose the two Fuji lens caps and they have been replaced by a couple of Tamron 58mm caps and I noted they were interchangeable between the two lenses.

I lost one of those last weekend and need a replacement, but I've just noticed that, though the one remaining Tamron cap fits both lenses and has 58mm stamped on it, on the lenses themselves they have different sizes stamped on the front.

What you have highlighted is the filter size which also corresponds to the lens caps size.  It could be that 58mm and 62mm are just close enough that the 58mm fits but could be a little loose.  Or it could be the way the Tamron caps are sized?  I don't know but that's nice you can use the same size on both lenses.

HaroldC3's gear list:HaroldC3's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,274
You know the drill?

Geoff Winterman wrote:

Over the years I've managed to loose the two Fuji lens caps and they have been replaced by a couple of Tamron 58mm caps

I have nothing to say about the numbers but as to losing lens caps, I drill a small hole, 0.5mm, in the cap and thread a piece of high-tension, 20kg, Teflon-coated angling line through the hole. The other end of the line is secured the camera - no more lost lens caps!

X100DL
X100DL Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Front End Lens Cap Question!

Geoff Winterman wrote:

Hi, the noted numbers represent the filter thread/size for the lens...

X100DL's gear list:X100DL's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads