Challenge: The Night Sky as Background (1 or 2 images only, please)

Started 3 months ago | Photos
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,841
Challenge: The Night Sky as Background (1 or 2 images only, please)

Shooting nightscapes is easy. Shooting a landscape with the night sky as just "background" takes some planning, and maybe a bit of creative vision.

Here's two of mine as examples. Now let's see yours.

U.S.A.F. Memorial, Arlington, VA

"Angel's Window," near Cape Royal , North Rim of the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park, AZ

-- hide signature --

Landscaper 1
-----
"Open up your eyes and look around you.
There's a lotta world you've never seen." Pan American Airlines radio commercial

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +6 more
Rodger in Edmonton
Rodger in Edmonton Senior Member • Posts: 2,921
Re: Challenge: The Night Sky as Background (1 or 2 images only, please)

-- hide signature --

Best Regards, Rodger
Save Lives - Be an Organ or Stem Cell Donor.
Quaecumque vera

lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,427

Dark forest

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
kodakrome
kodakrome Contributing Member • Posts: 827

The marina at night.

stretchman Senior Member • Posts: 1,073

Luke Forrest Contributing Member • Posts: 727

stretchman wrote:

Wow, really really nice!

bmike
bmike Senior Member • Posts: 2,314

I have quite a few, but here are 2 recents:

Milky Way over Lauterbrunnen Valley, Switzerland (multi image mosaic, tracked, stacked, stitched)

Castle, Church, Comet - Rapperswil-Jona, Switzerland - the sky is 6 images stacked and then blended to the long exposure of the foreground

RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,429

Mike,

both shots well composed, and doubtfully required a lot of work. But, if I may, my first impression was that there was a humungus forest fire beyond the canyon. (I guess we normally think of night skies as being blue-black, and this looked on my screen like smoke clouds.) One nice thing about computer manipulation is that one can alter such things to taste.

bmike

RUcrAZ wrote:

Mike,

both shots well composed, and doubtfully required a lot of work. But, if I may, my first impression was that there was a humungus forest fire beyond the canyon. (I guess we normally think of night skies as being blue-black, and this looked on my screen like smoke clouds.) One nice thing about computer manipulation is that one can alter such things to taste.

No forest fire. Some thin clouds moved through. Without the moon and well after sunset the sky isn’t really blue. Imaged using daylight WB and processed to try and preserve natural colors in the night sky.

Here is one that was much warmer, and had quite a bit of sky glow and clouds moving through:

Milky Way, Lake Lila, Adirondack Mountains, NY USA

And another:

Farm Barn, Milky Way, Shelburne Farms, VT

Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Regular Member • Posts: 487

bmike wrote:

No forest fire. Some thin clouds moved through. Without the moon and well after sunset the sky isn’t really blue.

The sky doesn't change the colour at night, it's the same blue colour, with our without the moon.

Haze/light pollution may change that, but the natural colour of the clear sky is blue.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
bmike

Quarkcharmed wrote:

bmike wrote:

No forest fire. Some thin clouds moved through. Without the moon and well after sunset the sky isn’t really blue.

The sky doesn't change the colour at night, it's the same blue colour, with our without the moon.

Haze/light pollution may change that, but the natural colour of the clear sky is blue.

When there is no sunlight from the sun or reflected off the moon the sky is not blue. Rayleigh scattering causes the blue:

https://www.montana.edu/jshaw/documents/DigitalBlueNightSky_OPN2005Nov.pdf

https://clarkvision.com/articles/color.of.the.night.sky/index.html

https://srussenschuck.com/color-balance-of-the-night-sky/

Blue in color, as the moon rose (and cast shadows). 2 different nights, but I had the moon up on both:

A series of images before twilight:

Adding in the images once twilight began: (note the fall off in the number of stars)

john559 Forum Member • Posts: 80

Ahu Tongariki Rapa Nui Feb 2020

Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Regular Member • Posts: 487

The Milky Way, auroras, pollution etc aren't blue, but there's still significant blue component.

https://www.mdpi.com/2313-433X/6/9/90/htm

The well-defined triangle structure in the ℓR–ℓG diagram is the consequence that the visual radiation of the night sky is composed of three main components: the bluish twilight spectrum of the solar radiation, the green oxygen airglow, and a combination of different orange and red spectra. This third component includes the sodium and red oxygen airglow and most of the light pollution sources.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
bmike

That’s a great read. Thank you

Please read the whole paper:

“Contrary to the usual impression of bluish night sky colour, in reality the sky is in the orange to green range. Blue colour only appears during twilight hours, due to ozone absorption.”

lost alaskan

bmike wrote:

Quarkcharmed wrote:

bmike wrote:

When there is no sunlight from the sun or reflected off the moon the sky is not blue. Rayleigh scattering causes the blue:

https://www.montana.edu/jshaw/documents/DigitalBlueNightSky_OPN2005Nov.pdf

https://clarkvision.com/articles/color.of.the.night.sky/index.html

https://srussenschuck.com/color-balance-of-the-night-sky/

Blue in color, as the moon rose (and cast shadows). 2 different nights, but I had the moon up on both:

A series of images before twilight:

Adding in the images once twilight began: (note the fall off in the number of stars)

Isn't that the Matterhorn?  Correct me if I'm wrong.  If it is, it's the best shot I've ever seen of it.  I like the star trails on it.  The circular one's ah....

Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
bmike

lost alaskan wrote:

Isn't that the Matterhorn? Correct me if I'm wrong. If it is, it's the best shot I've ever seen of it. I like the star trails on it. The circular one's ah....

Thank you.

Yes it is. We spent a week there this year (and last year).

Here’s a vertical, from a different night:

https://flic.kr/p/2jukk9j

I was hoping to do some MW landscapes from Stellisee to get reflections / stars / Matterhorn but our trip did not coincide with a new moon, so I settled for star trails from the balcony of the apartment we rented.

s1ptome Regular Member • Posts: 355

Desert night camp

-- hide signature --
lost alaskan

s1ptome wrote:

Desert night camp

That is a big tent. Tall enough for me to stand up in. We had U.S. army tents kind of like that that we put up and played in all summer. Took it camping as well. checked out yer album, I saw one very nice pic of five deer in a very yellow field. Very good. Clik on the deer pic to find others.  You get around some don't you?

lost alaskan

bmike. MW is driving me crazy. Moon something? It's not mid-west I don't think. I'm looking forward to your shot over the stellisee.

bmike

lost alaskan wrote:

bmike. MW is driving me crazy. Moon something? It's not mid-west I don't think. I'm looking forward to your shot over the stellisee.

MW = Milky Way

I was hoping to do some Milky Way landscapes from Stellisee to get reflections / stars / Matterhorn but our trip did not coincide with a new moon, so I settled for star trails from the balcony of the apartment we rented.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads