For street photography and landscapes

Started 2 months ago | User reviews
Jimmmy
Jimmmy Junior Member • Posts: 41
For street photography and landscapes

Ordered a 12mm f/2 lens today in BNG condition from KEH.  Planning to use it on an extended trip to UK and European continent later this year (covid permitting).  Love the M43 format, small size, and most of all IBIS in the Olympus cameras.  Taking an E-M1 mark I, E-M10 mark iv and E-PL9 bodies as well as other lenses.  Have has good experience with BGN lenses at KEH.  Hope this one will also meet expectations.

Jimmmy's gear list:Jimmmy's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +27 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Wideangle prime lens • Micro Four Thirds • V311020BU001
Announced: Jun 30, 2011
Jimmmy's score
Average community score
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,408
Have you received the lens already?

Jimmmy wrote:

Ordered a 12mm f/2 lens today in BNG condition from KEH. Planning to use it on an extended trip to UK and European continent later this year (covid permitting). Love the M43 format, small size, and most of all IBIS in the Olympus cameras. Taking an E-M1 mark I, E-M10 mark iv and E-PL9 bodies as well as other lenses. Have has good experience with BGN lenses at KEH. Hope this one will also meet expectations.

I take it that you have not received the lens yet?  Is that correct?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Isola Verde
Isola Verde Veteran Member • Posts: 9,769
Re: For street photography and landscapes

Thanks so much  - we were looking for hotels for a forthcoming vacation to (MYOB), and till now hadn't thought of checking reviews from those yet to visit.

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +15 more
Jimmmy
OP Jimmmy Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Have you received the lens already?

not yet -- looks like it will ship today.

Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +27 more
Jimmmy

Isola Verde wrote:

Thanks so much - we were looking for hotels for a forthcoming vacation to (MYOB), and till now hadn't thought of checking reviews from those yet to visit.

Peter

The review, so far, is limited to my experience with BGN rated lenses at KEH -- didn't expect I'd have to explain that.  We've been to (MYOB) -- you'll fit in there just fine.

linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,961
You reviewed off specs?

You didn't receive the lens but have reviewed it off specs only?

Worthless.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
Jimmmy
Re: You reviewed off specs?

linux99 wrote:

You didn't receive the lens but have reviewed it off specs only?

Worthless.

I reviewed off condition report .. there’s more to come.

Jimmmy

Jimmmy wrote:

Ordered a 12mm f/2 lens today in BNG condition from KEH. Planning to use it on an extended trip to UK and European continent later this year (covid permitting). Love the M43 format, small size, and most of all IBIS in the Olympus cameras. Taking an E-M1 mark I, E-M10 mark iv and E-PL9 bodies as well as other lenses. Have has good experience with BGN lenses at KEH. Hope this one will also meet expectations.

So ....... I caught all kind of hell around here for posting that I had ordered this 12mm f/2 Olympus lens for an upcoming trip -- a BGN specimen, priced accordingly(!), at KEH.  For my purposes, the pricing (less than half of a new lens) made this possible, altogether.  My purchase arrived today.  After close inspection, have decided its a very thin line between BGN and nearly new.  Very pleased with first test shots.  Shooting in afternoon light, at ~~~ f/5 to f/6.3, size and weight being factored in, color, contrast, and clarity of the images work for me.  It's a good addition to my bag.  I expect it'll see lots of use.

Pedestrians

Down the block

Autumn colors across the street

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,408
Enjoy your new lens

Jimmmy wrote:

So ....... I caught all kind of hell around here for posting that I had ordered this 12mm f/2 Olympus lens for an upcoming trip -- a BGN specimen, priced accordingly(!), at KEH.

Actually, that is not what you did. You posted a REVIEW of the lens that you didn't even have.   And gave it 5 stars.

For my purposes, the pricing (less than half of a new lens) made this possible, altogether. My purchase arrived today. After close inspection, have decided its a very thin line between BGN and nearly new.

I have never ordered anything from KEH, but it is good to know that their BGN rating does not mean beat to hell. Thanks for the info.

Very pleased with first test shots. Shooting in afternoon light, at ~~~ f/5 to f/6.3, size and weight being factored in, color, contrast, and clarity of the images work for me. It's a good addition to my bag. I expect it'll see lots of use.

Pedestrians

Down the block

Autumn colors across the street

Enjoy your new lens!

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,962
Why?

Jimmmy wrote:

not yet -- looks like it will ship today.

If you haven't received the lens, then how can you possibly write a review?

I wouldn't even think of reviewing a camera or lens until I'd owned it at least a couple of months and/or taken 1000+ photos with it.

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads